PDA

View Full Version : snapped control arm, half shaft pulled out the the gearbox/help

dr fox
11-09-2012, 09:11 AM
hi there. just wanting to find out some information. i've tried searching but couldn't really come up with anything. i was driving the other day on a local freeway when the right lower front control arm snapped on me. it was a wild ride for a couple of seconds when the car hit the deck and the wheel jammed up into the inner guard. i have since replaced the arm but have noticed that the drive shaft and the stub axle that it is bolted to has been pulled out the gearbox/diff. one thing i have found is that on the audi there's suppose to be a bolt behind the shaft. if there is i know that it would be snapped. what i don'tknow is exactly what to do now. eg, do i just pull the shaft then should the half shaft just slide of? and some how extract the bolt?. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ryan

walky_talky20
11-09-2012, 10:37 AM
We need to know what transmission you have.

dr fox
11-09-2012, 11:26 AM
manual trans

Scotty@Advanced
11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
the 01A 5spd cv flanges are held in my a snap ring, not a bolt. the 01E/016/tiptronics are held in by a bolt.

dr fox
11-09-2012, 02:52 PM
thanks scotty. i'll have to get under there and give it a good old beating to get it to pop back in there then. also does the diff run seperate oil or it common with the the gearbox?.

ThatA4T
11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
The only time I've seen the axle pull the flange out of the trans it trashed the center diff just fyi

ElliottG
11-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Wow...I guess those 6 bolts on the tranny don't do F all when shit breaks.