PDA

View Full Version : Audi newb: well maintained b5 or unknown time bomb b6??

Hellraiser1
11-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Audi newb: well maintained b5 or unknown b6?
Living in NYC near coastal waters: my family lost everything to hurricane sandy: their home and possessions are either lost or flooded and both cars are done. They are devastated.

To ease the devastation and pain Id like to surprise my dad and buy him a car. I figured Audi a4 would be great due to the engine , Quattro for winter, and he loves manual transmission. I personally am a BMW guy.

I'm very excited to do this for my dad , here are my choices:

A). 2003 Audi A4 b6 (I guess it's a b6?)

It is silver with grey interior. 85k miles.

The lady that's selling it knows nothing of the car. All she knows is the driver seat belt won't click in (cheap fix?), and the cable for the hood latch is improperly installed because it seems too long by an inch (again simple issue)

For my 52 year old dad this seems like the right choice, BUT... What worries me is that I suspect that nothing has been replaced which makes the car a ticking time bomb.

B) 2001 Audi A4 b5 140k silver black interior

The guy is a member here and an enthusiast. He's done a laundry list of maintenance and has all receipts and records.

It has the following:

HD Meyle tie rods
New steering rack and lines
New clutch at 120k
New pulleys
Timing belt and kit at 120k
New alternator and battery last year
Cool packs
New tires and alignment
Green coolant temp sensor
Synth oil every 3k
New turbo 2 years ago

Mods
A8 rotors TT brake upgrades
S4 front bumper
S4 rear bumper
S4 side skirts
S4 cluster with no pixels missing
Unitronic stage 2 flash
Apr boost pressure hoses
Full borla exhaust
Upgraded Godspeed intercooler in front
Forge diverter valve
ApR snub mount
Awe vent gauge
South power intake gasket
Denison ice link iPod adapter
Speakers upgraded

Both are around $5k

I really want my dad to have b6 with way less miles .....but deep down I know the higher miles well maintained b5 is obvious smart choice at the expense of the good looks and low miles of b6

Thoughts?

coolgraymemo
11-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Considering that your father will have to do the timing belt in the next five thousand miles, I'd pick the B5.

The B6 may also have sludge issues developing.

Edit:
Mesh in front bumper looks ehh. I'm not sure.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/3374388382.html

Hellraiser1
11-08-2012, 12:25 AM
For a kid like me (I'm 28 ha) , I wouldn't mind the b5. But my dad is a grown adult , doesn't need all those mods, the newer look lower miles is a way better look for him.

But I just KNOW that the timing belt along with other issues will become problematic !

Thanks for the speedy response. I very well may go with the b5 , after all it's just a cheap car , and it's better than having nothing like right now. He can always sell it and upgrade for a better one like a b6 or b7 or even a roomier a6 if he really wants.

Ill wait for a few more opinions before making a final decision.

Thanks again

nynoah
11-08-2012, 06:49 AM
I would not buy that car for my dad. Its too kid like. I know there is a lot of stuff done to it. But I am sure he and you would like a better backseat. Plus that bumper is just a time bomb. Here are some other ones that are local to you that are decent.

Its an avant so they are rare and I am sure with the house destroyed, your dad is going to use it to haul things around to fix stuff or just move. The Ur S4/S6 is a tank they don't die. There are people pushing way more HP than stock on 250K
http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/3387267328.html

Or a regular A6
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3383393459.html

CCA4
11-08-2012, 06:58 AM
If it weren't for your dad, I'd say go for the B5 in a heartbeat. Does he like to drive? Would he think that a fast (relatively speaking) car with a loud exhaust is cool? I know personally my dad would hate it. What two cars did they have before Sandy? I like your thinking with Quattro for winter though

nynoah
11-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Dude snatch that S6 up and don't look back. Heck I wish I had the money for it.

Nateness
11-08-2012, 07:47 AM
The side skirts aren't complete on that B5. Look closely and you can see the white tabs on the lower door exposed. Have a shop inspect the B6 and provide a quote to do a tbelt and oil pick up tube clean. If the inspection and maintenance quote look reasonable, maybe the B6 might be more appropriate for your dad.

nynoah
11-08-2012, 07:51 AM
that b5 looks like it was built by a ricer kid. Also you have 140K miles on a chipped stock turbo.... thats going to blow soon I guarantee it. Trust me, get the S6.

danphines
11-08-2012, 07:59 AM
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/3392608500.html

Pick up this for your dad

nynoah
11-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Also if you look in this guys photo album, he also owns a classic M3. Which is not a cheap car either. So this guy values good things and most likely kept up on the upkeep quite well. Don't get that A4. It screems kid owner. This S6 looks like an adult with some money owned it.

http://s1156.beta.photobucket.com/user/oliwer78/library/

SlowBone
11-08-2012, 09:12 AM
For the love of god, please avoid the b6 if you can. we bought one with 46k miles last year, and after a couple months, became the biggest electrical nightmare. now a buddys b6 just crapped out with 80k. personally, i think the b5 is better overall.

Hellraiser1
11-08-2012, 09:20 AM
If it were for me id take the b5 in a heartbeat. You guys are right my dad would appreciate something more practical like a newer b6 with lower miles. Too bad, the b5 is only 3 miles away. He would like the power and possibly even the exhaust. I can't take the avant, the car must be a 5-speed. It would make him really happy if it were a manual as he loves to drive. Like I said, having a fun new toy, shifting gears would be a sliver of happiness in this war zone of devastation we are going through.

I'll get a ppi on the b6; if it checks out ok ill run a tune up, timing belt, and fix the hood cable and seatbelt latch. In my opinion, that's a great deal, no?

You're right my dad doesn't need those silly mods, but the enthusiast-maintained part was cool.

You guys have been great, thanks so much for your insight and guidance as I'm totally new to the Audi community coming.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/3392608500.html

Pick up this for your dad

I really like this one! Considering taking the 250 mile drive if I get positive feedback from owner!

Hellraiser1
11-08-2012, 09:22 AM
For the love of god, please avoid the b6 if you can. we bought one with 46k miles last year, and after a couple months, became the biggest electrical nightmare. now a buddys b6 just crapped out with 80k. personally, i think the b5 is better overall.

Can someone co-sign to this?

nynoah
11-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Dude, I am telling you, that S6 is a great car. They don't die. They are easy to work on (monster engine bay room), plenty of power, the stock turbos don't die (and if they do, you can get one for like 100 dollars), they don't rust, then the engine is so well built that they just go and go and go and go. I know people that have them at 300K miles on nearly double stock HP with no internal engine work ever done. There are tons of them for sale with 250K miles on them so 140K with the timing belt done already means you are good to go. With the chip in there, I bet it is at 300hp. Which how much more do you need for a DD?

I had a 1995.5 S6 (which is the best model year and all Avants are 1995) that I drove for a while. I would still have it today if it was an avant. I just don't like sedans. I bought it with 54K miles drove it for 2 years and sold it to one of the Coors family members for 40% more than I paid for it. It was a great driving car that felt rock solid for everything. The back seat had tons of room for friends too. Heck if I had not sunk my money into fixing my current car, I would have just bought one of those. Which, to be honest, I wish I had seen that car before I started to dish out cash on mine. I am sort of kicking myself for not going back to an Ur S4/S6. If you are hesitant about that car because it is older or you don't know them, look into them. You will see that those who own them love them.

This is the board where most of the Ur s4/s6 guys hang out. http://www.motorgeek.com/index.php?sid=099383f2aa113a25b2c5f10a5f62dc62 Motorgeek is the bomb. Full of tons of insane projects and 5 cylinder love.

Hellraiser1
11-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Dude, I am telling you, that S6 is a great car. They don't die. They are easy to work on (monster engine bay room), plenty of power, the stock turbos don't die (and if they do, you can get one for like 100 dollars), they don't rust, then the engine is so well built that they just go and go and go and go. I know people that have them at 300K miles on nearly double stock HP with no internal engine work ever done. There are tons of them for sale with 250K miles on them so 140K with the timing belt done already means you are good to go. With the chip in there, I bet it is at 300hp. Which more more do you need for a DD?

I had a 1995.5 S6 (which is the best model year and all Avants are 1995) that I drove for a while. I would still have it today if it was an avant. I just don't like sedans. I bought it with 54K miles drove it for 2 years and sold it to one of the Coors family members for 40% more than I paid for it. It was a great driving car that felt rock solid for everything. The back seat had tons of room for friends too. Heck if I had not sunk my money into fixing my current car, I would have just bought one of those. Which, to be honest, I wish I had seen that car before I started to dish out cash on mine. I am sort of kicking myself for not going back to an Ur S4/S6. If you are hesitant about that car because it is older you don't know them, look into them. You will see that those who own them love them.

This is the board where most of the Ur s4/s6 guys hang out. http://www.motorgeek.com/index.php?sid=099383f2aa113a25b2c5f10a5f62dc62 Motorgeek is the bomb. Full of tons of insane projects and 5 cylinder love.

I think you meant b6?

nynoah
11-08-2012, 11:43 AM
No this car http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/3387267328.html

Its an Ur S6. They are made from 1992 to 1995.5. They are badged as a S4 from 1992 till 1994 and then rebadged as an S6 in 1994-1995.5. They are rare as an avant and that one does not look too bad for the price. They still command a high price for the avant. But I would go to him with 5K in my hand when I was test driving it and see if he takes it.

nynoah
11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
http://s-cars.org/site/archives/630

coolgraymemo
11-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Yea, I'd get that S6 over all the ones you've posted.

The B5 looks kind of crappy.
The B6 may be a nightmare int the making.

nynoah
11-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Also if you are thinking about getting the S6... GO NOW. Because they do not last. You usually have to travel the nation to find a good example. I am lucky that out here in Co there are a lot of them (relatively speaking) but there are only 250 or so avants. Not many that are black either. The things I would do to make sure that car is good to go is buy the right shocks to match front and back. I would then buy the 034 coil pack wiring loom so you can put modern coil packs into it. The original coil packs on those old cars suck. They are hard wired and cost 160 a piece. The 034 kit is cheaper than buying 2 coil packs and they use the standard 1.8t or 2.0t coil packs from then on.

The way to tell if it is a 1995 or 1995.5 is if the car has a button for the rear diff lock. If it does it is a 1995 if not it is a 1995.5. Both are great cars regardless. The 1995 just has an electronic rear diff lock. Also the 1995 have the reinforced body where the power steering rack is. They sometimes crack due to weak cross member there.

Also 034 is the source for all the best parts to improve on those already great cars.

coolgraymemo
11-08-2012, 01:54 PM
It also has low miles considering that most of those are between 200-300k.

nynoah
11-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Bingo... Good luck finding a lower mile unit near you... ever again. damn it I wish I had 6k right now... sigh