says it at the bottom of the a3 commercials now

A4Kevin
06-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Is that the 3.2 or the 2.0t?

DoThisMyWay
06-06-2005, 07:04 PM

Anthony
06-06-2005, 11:27 PM
No word on a quattro 2.0T yet for the States, that I know of.

A4Kevin
06-07-2005, 05:16 AM
I will take anything Quattro and Manual. They are taking the Sport out of Sportback

Anthony
06-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Have you driven a car with DSG yet?

Saturnine
06-07-2005, 11:19 AM
I wish they werent so $$$

What do they go for, upper 20's base?

A4Kevin
06-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Anthony
Have you driven a car with DSG yet?

I drove the 3.2TT with DSG. I liked it but its hard to switch away from a manual after all these years. I will have to try it again.

evilkoala
06-07-2005, 07:03 PM
i drove the 2.0T with DSG. it was so much fun. i've only driven stick a few times so it was nice to not have to worry about anything other than choosing the gear. it shifted ridiculously smoothly and it's nice to have the option of doing full auto mode (i used to live in downtown LA and would have hated driving stick down there during rush hour).

Anthony
06-08-2005, 02:24 AM
The 2.0T non-quattro's start at mid-20's but closer to $30k for one well equipped. So a 3.2 with quattro will start at around $30k most likely.

And yes stick will always be the funest if you know how, but DSG quickly grows on you, especially in day-to-day real world driving.

Silvant
06-08-2005, 07:21 AM
i've determined the A3 is WAY overpriced...
seriously, i love the car an all.. but i would never
buy one.

SpearheadX
06-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Anthony
The 2.0T non-quattro's start at mid-20's but closer to $30k for one well equipped. So a 3.2 with quattro will start at around $30k most likely.

And yes stick will always be the funest if you know how, but DSG quickly grows on you, especially in day-to-day real world driving.

How would you explain it as being overpriced? Compared to what?

A4Kevin
06-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Just imagine how much the S3 will be if it ever materializes.

Maybe I should get a used 911 or an M3 for that matter. Buttox..cars drive me crazy.

Hassmeister
06-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Silvant
i've determined the A3 is WAY overpriced...
seriously, i love the car an all.. but i would never
buy one.

Just wait a few yrs for a nice used one.

A4 - Oh Snap
07-14-2005, 12:33 PM
The car is overpriced because you are paying nearly the same price as you would for an A4 with Quattro.

phatAvant
07-15-2005, 07:26 AM
my 2.0T Quattro S-line was 37K euros, so be greatfull you live in the US where cars are cheaper...I sold my 03 Avant for 30K euros a couple of month ago, prices are mad here...compared to yours...

steve

chubbychynk
07-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by A4 - Oh Snap
The car is overpriced because you are paying nearly the same price as you would for an A4 with Quattro.

A fully optioned A4 2.0TQ will run you 40K. Does the A3 get that high? If so, that is CRAZY. It's already crazy for the A4...

Silvant
07-17-2005, 10:53 AM
its really pretty comical. completely blows out the reason of having a car in that class. unless audi is not worried about that.
strange how audi seems pretty accurate with its upper end pricing on the a6 and a8.. yet can be so high with the 3 an 4.

Anthony
07-17-2005, 09:13 PM
No a fully loaded A3 (2.0T) doesn't get that high, but the 3.2 quattros may...

shragon
08-04-2005, 10:51 AM
i really like the a3's, i may consider one at the end of this year. however, i want quatrro. will an 2.0T quatrro be available in the states?

EVIL-AUDI
08-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Yep^^

Anthony
08-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by shragon
i really like the a3's, i may consider one at the end of this year. however, i want quatrro. will an 2.0T quatrro be available in the states? No word yet on a quattro A3 in the States.

Judge A3
08-12-2005, 05:56 AM
What the hell are you people talking about, an A4 2.0T quattro simarly equiped to my A3 would be $5-6K more. And as far as quality/features equally equipped A3 and A4 are very similar cars except for the body style, I would still choose the A3 if the price was equal.

A fully loaded A3 2.0T will run around $35K.

A fully loaded A4 2.0T Q will be around $40K

[a3]

angryswede
08-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Judge A3
What the hell are you people talking about, an A4 2.0T quattro simarly equiped to my A3 would be $5-6K more. And as far as quality/features equally equipped A3 and A4 are very similar cars except for the body style, I would still choose the A3 if the price was equal.

A fully loaded A3 2.0T will run around $35K.

A fully loaded A4 2.0T Q will be around $40K

[a3]

I think you just stated everyone's point.

$5k isn't much money when you're talking $35+40k

3-5 years down the line, when you decide to sell the car, the difference will be much more. in american's eyes, hatchbacks are for the youth, this will depreciate an a3 more than an a4.

they're fine cars, they're just overpriced 10-20% too much. by the time the quattro a3's come out, you'll be able to get a nice, certified b6 s4 avant for minimal (if any) more than a loaded a3 quattro. you'd have to be on crack to get a a3 over an s4.

Anthony
08-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Actually I just went with a friend on some testdrives yesterday. He's selling his highly modified B5 S4 Avant and we test drove both a B7 S4 and an A3. Looks like he's going with the A3. He can pretty much pay the whole car off, has the full four year warranty, and just loves the way the car drives. It really is a blast, and the 200HP 2.0T feels a lot stronger than it does in the A4.

Emil@RENN-ART
09-04-2005, 11:58 PM
the 2.0T A3/VW GTi's are going to be faster than the 2.0T A4 since they're obviously lighter but also since they come with a fmic vs the dual smic setup in the A4's.

just wait til revo comes out with their true ecu tuning (which isn't just thrown together quickly just to be first) for these awesome cars.. you'll be floored by the results and the additional possibilities of these amazing cars.

BeeFiveQuattro
09-16-2005, 10:52 PM
why cant they bring the 2.0tQ already...?
-I want to get one with '+1' wheels, sport suspension, auto dim mirrors/homelink/sunroof, and most importantly... leatherette & halogens
-as i looks now; in order to get quattro you will need to by the higher-priced heavier engine, with leather and HID's (thats why we are saying the A3 is overpriced... it the packages) (a stripped A4 2.0tQ is available now AND has torsen)

I bet they will give me what I want.. I'll just have to wait and enjoy my MY2001 b5Q that came with the perfect packages IMO (20th celebration Quattro packages)

eltonsi
09-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Well, you could always move to Europe where you can find that perfect A3 2.0TQ.

Seriously though, for all those who complain about DSG not being sporty. Talk to me again when you can shift faster than the DSG. If you are looking for stock performance, you can't beat the DSG. Stick might be more "fun" but that's subjective.

Quattro is nice, but how often does it snow in California? I think some of you are seriously underrating the FWD A3. The handling is better than you think, put some decent tires on it, and you got a decent stock car for the track.

As for A3's price. It was never meant to be an "entry level" car. If you look at their features, they are all up there with the A4. I actually find the interior of the A3 a little bit better for my taste. And A4 is still more expensive. It's going to be more than 5K to get one that has the same options. If you are not including that, then the same could be said about the A4 and the A6. Put the price of a fully loaded A4 and compare it with a stripped down A4, it's not that big of a difference.

And finally, 2.0TQ is not coming to US due to some licensing issues. AoA does not wish to pay the fee for this set up, at least not in next years building cycle. If the sales of the A3 grows significantly, then perhaps they might consider bringing the 2.0TQ.

phatAvant
09-18-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by eltonsi
2.0TQ is not coming to US due to some licensing issues. AoA does not wish to pay the fee for this set up, at least not in next years building cycle. If the sales of the A3 grows significantly, then perhaps they might consider bringing the 2.0TQ.

Oooh so this means I can continue rubbing it in all the time???well atleast for a good amount of time!!!

Let the pissing off begin...

I feel so unique on AZ right now...[az]

Steve

mookieblaylock
09-18-2005, 06:45 AM
california got the most snow of any state in the country last year, most likely more than the alps also. But yea if you don't travel up there it makes no difference. I think it's great that audi finally brought a lightweight (relatively) , refined and powerful snowmobile over here. I wish there was a wood trim interior option though because the a4,6 are noticeably higher end inside imo.

eltonsi
09-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by phatA3
Oooh so this means I can continue rubbing it in all the time???well atleast for a good amount of time!!!

Let the pissing off begin...

I feel so unique on AZ right now...[az]

Steve

So how are the gas prices? [:D]

phatAvant
09-18-2005, 07:46 AM
So how are the gas prices? [:D]

They are quite good in Spain compared to the rest of Europe...

guess my heavy foot doesnt really help much with the crazy amounts I use, but hey how can I resist with all these roundabouts and the fact that the roads arent exactly "grippy" tarmac...[:D] QUATTRO comes in nicely here, I have loads of fun...

Steve

eltonsi
09-18-2005, 02:16 PM
[headbang]

Quattro sucks! [:o]

Emil@RENN-ART
09-18-2005, 03:24 PM
They are quite good in Spain compared to the rest of Europe...

guess my heavy foot doesnt really help much with the crazy amounts I use, but hey how can I resist with all these roundabouts and the fact that the roads arent exactly "grippy" tarmac...[:D] QUATTRO comes in nicely here, I have loads of fun...

Steve

bastid.

[headbang]

BeeFiveQuattro
09-29-2005, 12:05 AM

Quattro is nice, but how often does it snow in California?
snow.. we've got that
gravel roads.. we've got that
canyon roads.. everywhere (work right off of Malibu canyon/Mulholland dr.)

I enjoy quattro everyday; in normal driving situation-- yes; even braking (downshifting + torque at all wheels = [hail] )
-note: Haldex probably behaves different

I dont intend to under estimate Frontrac-- I know my gf can't tell the difference in drive-trains amongst her Golf and my B5q..
but as soon as you push the cars to their limits.. you won't look back to Fwd (Quattro's advantages are not limited to snow... as long as you drive it 'right')

phatAvant
09-29-2005, 03:34 AM
Im not saying I actually need quattro, but I like having it though, and it makes my mothers mini cooper s feel like it is always strugling for traction....

Steve

BeeFiveQuattro
09-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Im not saying I actually need quattro, but I like having it though, and it makes my mothers mini cooper s feel like it is always strugling for traction....

Steve
To me.. Its the 'luxury' that makes it an Audi
-I think there is a big difference in buying used vs. new however; I really don't see many excuses for Not opting for Quattro when you go the used route.
Buying new: I can see one just wanting to get something smoother/classier than a Vdub. (I might consider this because the 3.2q is going to be $.)

phatAvant
09-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by BeeFiveQuattro
To me.. Its the 'luxury' that makes it an Audi

Fair enoug I can see why you would say that, however the system used on the A3 isnt the "real quattro"... its the haldex system which is fwd biased...

lets just say that its "swings and roundabouts" on this matter, there will always be + and - to buying quattro or not...

Steve

BeeFiveQuattro
09-30-2005, 10:53 PM
lets just say that its "swings and roundabouts" on this matter, there will always be + and - to buying quattro or not...

Steve

..Until they can lighten Torsen up more; and get the engine more balanced, away from the nose.
(they have offset this recently by making Torsen more rear-wheel biased) (...just give it to me in a smaller car than the B7)

BeeFiveQuattro
09-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Fair enoug I can see why you would say that, however the system used on the A3 isnt the "real quattro"... its the haldex system which is fwd biased...

(even so: I'll take your car in Green please.) [up]

phatAvant
10-01-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by BeeFiveQuattro
..Until they can lighten Torsen up more; and get the engine more balanced, away from the nose.
(they have offset this recently by making Torsen more rear-wheel biased) (...just give it to me in a smaller car than the B7)

Audi is working on having minimal front over hang (like a 3 series for example), they need to place the engine more over the axle in towards the car to balance it all out, instead of being nose heavy...I've seen spy pics of an A4 with a B6 rear and B7 front and minimal overhang...I think it was in a UK magazine called autocar...

Now as for a rear wheel biased quattro that would be great, I would swap mine straight away...

Steve

Hassmeister
10-04-2005, 01:25 PM
FWD vs Quattro issue...

The newer cars have impressive grip as FWD. Nothing really can compare to a Quattro ride/grip and yet they still get pretty good gas mileage too.

And yes, that DSG is impressive. I've always been a stick man with my car choices and this is the first transmission to sway me away from a stick.

I'll wait and see how things go down the road and how they hold up and what others have done. Might buy one later on. Ya just never know.