PDA

View Full Version : nyc SANDY hurricane...flood my car completed

S4chow
11-04-2012, 01:49 PM
i have a 01 audi 1.8t stage 3 with the works was completed covered under water where should i start...body is in perfect condition.. whats the best thing to do buy a crash or cheap 1.8 and make a switch or just take the parts off and put it on a different 1.8

Euromike
11-04-2012, 01:53 PM
completed covered under water where should i start

If your car was completely under water, than your car and 90% of your stage 3 components are trashed.

collect insurance and salvage what few parts you can.

Seerlah
11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
You need to know what parts are actually salvageable first. Items that work with oil typically don't mix well with water. How deep did the water get?

Edit: Missed the completely submerged part. Your car is trashed. Save the manifold. You can get a good amount of change if the right buyer comes along ($750-1000).

GOODBYNAAIR
11-04-2012, 01:55 PM
dude im sorry to hear that, Im in md and we got hit but not as bad as you guys. im not sure I guess save a much as you can and buy a high miles 1.8 and add good parts.

good luck

Euromike
11-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Items that work with oil typically don't mix well with water.

Exactly, and dont forget this isnt just water, but sandy muddy salt water.

Anything it touched is trashed.

S4chow
11-04-2012, 04:25 PM
u talking about the intake manifold...yea its polish with a spacer

Seerlah
11-04-2012, 04:49 PM
No, the APR inconel T25 exhaust manifold.

CBlockb5a4
11-04-2012, 06:19 PM
hard parts are going to be fine. downpipes, intercoolers, manifolds etc etc. I would take off stuff like turbo and silicone hoses and such and clean the ISH out of them and they may be alright. anything electronic is junk, anything that will absorb water is junk. some of the interior plastics may be ok......etc

I would strip it to the gills.....parts that you think would get ruined actually would be fine if the engine wasnt run. I would pull the whole motor....

the thing was under water for a few days, not months. hard parts are all that may be salvageable.

Koldham
11-04-2012, 06:31 PM
if you tear the entire thing apart and clean it with fresh water and wd40, all you would need are new electronics and cloth bits. the factory i work at builds engines and ships the worldwide. a container of brand new engines fell of a crane when unloading and went into the drink. i remember washing engine blocks for a week. 27 tractor engines were completely rebuilt in a week. time is the only factor. save the engine and all the aftermarket parts and put them on your new audi :D

S4chow
11-05-2012, 03:50 AM
thanks for all advices..it was actually under water for a few hrs like 3 hrs...

skim464
11-05-2012, 04:14 AM
at least it wasnt submerged for long hours. I guess you will really need to tear it down to see what kind of damage happened...

melomandn
11-05-2012, 08:44 AM
No, the APR inconel T25 exhaust manifold.

the apr exhaust mani sells for $750-$100..? [confused]

M-Hood
11-05-2012, 08:58 AM
the apr exhaust mani sells for $750-$100..? [confused]

People can sell it for what ever they want since APR does not sell the manifold alone.

Toxygene
11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Glad you're ok. What part of NY was your car?

Buckle
11-05-2012, 03:47 PM
pics or it didn't happen.

At least it was only the car, and not you/your home

Militant-Grunt
11-05-2012, 04:39 PM
That sucks dude, if you need help parting your car out, shoot me a PM.

grillhands
11-06-2012, 07:28 AM
]]pics or it didn't happen.[/B]

I think thats a cold statement. That's like someone telling you they had massive heart surgery and then saying let me see the scar or it didn't happen.

Scotty@Advanced
11-06-2012, 07:36 AM
If caught early enough most of the hard parts can be rescued, but if it's been more than a day or two then it's scrap metal, especially if the water was salt water. You can pretty much count any leather/vinyl/cloth material to be trash as well as foam and anything dealing with electronics.

ray4624
11-06-2012, 07:40 AM

I think thats a cold statement. That's like someone telling you they had massive heart surgery and then saying let me see the scar or it didn't happen.

chill, its the internet.

depending on your finances your best bet would be to buy a cheap a4 and swap what parts you can onto it.

seanj130
11-06-2012, 11:06 AM

Dood... That is why it is Video or it didn't happen... pics or it didn't happen was so 5 years ago.

And to OP, find a nice a4. There are soo cheap right now, even the S4's have come way down in price. Hell, the B6 A4's are pretty cheap as well.

3 bar
11-06-2012, 01:31 PM
In order to save it you will have to wash (with fresh water) and dry out every electrical component. All window motors, sunroof motor and fan blower motor must be removed and dried out. Door lock pump, etc. Fuse panel: all fuses and relays must be removed and greased with dielectric grease. All connectors unplug dry and apply dielectric grease. Drain all oil let dry and replace with fresh oil. My Jetta is a flood damaged vehicle. Got it cheap but still am plagued with a few electrical gremlins.