PDA

View Full Version : Car threw a rod today.. Sell it?

Tremar
11-01-2012, 10:00 AM
So on my way into work. My 2000 Audi A4 threw a rod and well... the rest is history..

The exterior is FAIR, I would say.
I do have a touch screen radio I can sell, some tires and rough VMR 710 rims I can sell..
It has a K04 turbo and ECU (and stock ones)...

My question is, should I try to find an engine to drop in it, and have that done and THEN sell it? (or drive it..)
Or should I part it out?

I am sitting on the entire loan of 5k as I have only had the car a few months, and now am in desperate need of a vehicle and money to make up for it.

Also, is it worth anything as it sits? Just sell it as-is and let someone do what they want with it?

Thanks.

FuchsB
11-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Junkyard motor and then driver it or sell it

AudiA4_20T
11-01-2012, 10:09 AM
So on my way into work. My 2000 Audi A4 threw a rod and well... the rest is history..

The exterior is FAIR, I would say.
I do have a touch screen radio I can sell, some tires and rough VMR 710 rims I can sell..
It has a K04 turbo and ECU (and stock ones)...

My question is, should I try to find an engine to drop in it, and have that done and THEN sell it? (or drive it..)
Or should I part it out?

I am sitting on the entire loan of 5k as I have only had the car a few months, and now am in desperate need of a vehicle and money to make up for it.

Also, is it worth anything as it sits? Just sell it as-is and let someone do what they want with it?

Thanks.

Probably worth ~$1500

howardfootball
11-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Part it out

AudiA4_20T
11-01-2012, 10:16 AM
post some pics, might be interested without the motor

Tremar
11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Will post pics when I get home.

How much is a junkyard engine roughly? On Average?

Avant Nate
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM

Auto or manual?

Around a G

Tremar
11-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Manual

Avant Nate
11-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Manual

Check out car-parts.com AN (http://car-part.com/) there is a couple of yards with engines in Wisconsin, but I'm not sure how close

Tremar
11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Nice! There are a few! Thanks!

AudiNFS
11-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Good luck OP.

On an unrelated note, anyone know how much you can possibly sell an engine for to a junkyard? Or is it better off to scrap them or something? I have no use for the engine.

nemick
11-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Throw another engine in that baby and drive it. I'd be interested to know some details about the blow up. How many miles, modifications, stuff like that.

Scotty@Advanced
11-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Good luck OP.

On an unrelated note, anyone know how much you can possibly sell an engine for to a junkyard? Or is it better off to scrap them or something? I have no use for the engine.

If you want to get rid of it, a scrap yard will buy it but by weight its only worth about $20-$30.00. If you take it apart and sort the metals, you can probably get alot more.

Poopie
11-01-2012, 11:20 AM
aeb engines are easy to find. shouldn't be a terribly expensive fix. it will be easier to fix than to part out and its not worth much in its current condition so fixing it would be the best way

Avant Nate
11-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Good luck OP.

Are you talking about your short block?, because you could probably sell it here or the vortex for 100-200, or try craigs.

Avant Nate
11-01-2012, 11:23 AM
aeb engines are easy to find. shouldn't be a terribly expensive fix. it will be easier to fix than to part out and its not worth much in its current condition so fixing it would be the best way
I thinks he's ATW

AudiNFS
11-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I do mean only the short block. The engine will likely need to be taken apart to get any money I guess from the different metals. The engine was on my flood car and I would never just throw it in a car and turn the key. You'd likely be removing the engine again.

Tremar
11-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Aye, I am ATW. And I have no idea what happened. The mods are K04 turbo, FMIC, GIAC tune, Borla exhaust.. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The car wasn't well maintained before I bought it, as I have come to learn. It did have a slow oil leak, which I attempted to replace things to fix but to no success. Then on the way to work.. There she goes.. Felt a breaking feeling, hit the clutch and stopped right away, and there was all the oil... Got it towed home and (i went to work with a friends car) my buddy found the hole.

The only thing I have altered recently was that the previous owner had an atmospheric vent off the valve cover, and I rerouted it back to the TIP with a pancake valve using recommended parts (except hose instead of the steel tubing).. I do not see how this shoul dhave been an issue, and was advised it wouldnt be since it is only a K04 turbo in it.
Even with this change though, I have put a few hundred miles on it at least (driving ~250 a week, probably did it 2 or 3 weeks ago)

Not too sure why it happened... I was thinking maybe something else caused the oil to all spill out, and in the 2 seconds it took to pull over, thats what caused the engine damage? I am not too sure

I know that this makes me very very sceptical about keeping it, even with a new engine :(

Mr.Audi
11-01-2012, 11:46 AM
what k04?

i may want that if you sell it

Tremar
11-01-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd have to check. If it goes for sale it will go on the classifieds here for sure, I will let you know! Right now I am looking at a new engine and then maybe selling it. Maybe go back to stock turbo and ECU, so the K04 very well might end up for sale.

Seerlah
11-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I am really only looking at 2 scenarios where you can not lose much.

1) Part is out (you will need to sit on it for a while)
2) Buy used short block and swap it in.

Option one should bring you around the $3,000 mark, but you will need to be patient. Option 2 is not that difficult and can really be done for around the $500 mark all said and done...if you do the work yourself.

Tremar
11-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I plan to do the work myself (With my dad and a family friend), but $500? The lowest I am seeming to find is around the $850 mark on car-part.com

Also, Would this be trust worthy to drive afterwards.. I mean.. it happened once, it could happen again?

I guess I don't know if it was purely do to the engine or other components of the car played a factor.

walky_talky20
11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
The cause of the failure is in the bottom end (rod, rod bolts, oil pump, bearings, etc). You will probably be replacing the entire bottom end to fix it anyway, so your "root cause" is not at all likely to live on after the repair.

I'd suggest you find a good bottom end and put it back together. All other options are greater loss.

Seerlah
11-01-2012, 01:52 PM
You can find a short block in the $300 range, and the rest of the money is for gaskets and hardware.

Scottydo
11-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I just rebuilt my bottom end. Cost me $100 for the block and crank and about $2000 in parts but i changed out everything in the bottom end its better to be safe than sorry. Rebuild time is not bad and setting the timing on these guys isnt bad either.

walky_talky20
11-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Yep, $300 should get you a good short block. I'd call these guys: Route 12 Auto Parts & Salvage, Inc. USA-IL(Richmond). They have a complete ATW listed for $350 as "bad". If that just means bent valves, that might be your ticket.

Scottydo
11-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Also you have to look around for the short block a junk yard near me sells long blocks for $150.

geeky
11-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I have a good AWM short block without oil pan from an automatic if you want it. I can do $200 + shipping. It'd be JUST the short block so you're going to need the oil pan, head, and all accessories from your old motor. It's got good pistons, rods, cranks, bearings, oil pump etc.

Pulled the motor from my sister's car after it blew the headgasket and super cooled a valve causing it to chip. Short block is still in perfect order.

Let me know by pm.

edit: here's the ad if you're interested.
http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=79589&title=awm-2famb-motor-part-out&cat=21

Poopie
11-01-2012, 02:03 PM
you can use an AEB block though. might be easier to find since ATW was only made in 2000

Scottydo
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.crazyraysautoparts.com/
pull it yourself $150 for the long block too bad your not closer

Tremar
11-01-2012, 02:13 PM
It has an AEB head on it now actually :/ haha

When a junkyard advertises the "Engine" what does that all entail?

To me it seems worth the bit extra just because I know my car hasnt been taken care of its whole life like it should have, so maybe it would be a good fresh start.

I am not completely fluent with the inner workings of the engine such as what is entailed as a "short block" and where (and what) the valves are that bend if the timing belt breaks, ect.

I know it blew a hole in the motor somewhere (friend sent a picture to me), I have to inspect it personally to see where, as I havent had a chance yet.

The popular vote seems to be just buy the block tho? Would it be significantly less work to just put a whole engine than to seperate it and just put a new block?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Scottydo
11-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Short block - No head
Long block - Head is included sometimes em,im, and a few other parts.

Scottydo
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
You have to pull the whole block out anyways as you threw a rod so you need to take the front off the car and at least seperate the block from the tranny and pull it.

Scottydo
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Easiest way imho is to pull the whole engine/tranny and then dissassemble it you really only may need a short block as your head might be okay. Mine was when i threw rod numero dos.

Tremar
11-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Ouch haha. At least I am not alone. Is this more common than I realized?

What causes it? Would it have anyhting to do with injectors/ECU/turbo/FPR stuff (stuff that was cahnged)? Or just bad maintenece of the vehicle

Scottydo
11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Too much torque breaks stuff. Stock rods are only good for about 250 iirc.

Scottydo
11-01-2012, 02:38 PM
When you pull the block look to see if the rod just snapped or bent then snapped thats what happened to mine. I basically rebuilt mine with the following
IE rods
Stock Pistons
Meyle piston rings
Calico coated main and rod bearings
brand new victor reinz seals all the way around
new manual timing belt kit through ie (makes life alot easier)
ARP main stud kit and head bolt kit(stud kit for you)
oil pump, oil pump tensioner, and oil pump chain.

andyrew
11-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Go to your local pick a pull or pick a part and get an complete engine. Should be around 400. Grab everything you can and swap it all in. Look for a car with low mileage and body damage. Check online to see if they have any audi's or passats in stock.

Good luck.

Monty23
11-02-2012, 08:18 AM

4 banger long blocks at my local Harry's-u-pull-it are around $100+core

Tremar
11-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Not sure if too much torque would have been an issue. I only have a K04 with a GIAC J31, which I know is aggressive but I don't think so much that it should be requiring internal components to be strengthened.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, going to pick up an engine tomorrow. $800 for a full setup, not pull i tyourself, 136k miles. All I could find in my immediate area. (And I can fully get rid of the problem child engine the car came with.. goodbye low oil pressure?)

Can anyone guide me to a DIY for the engine swap, or give me a list of additional parts I should order or tips and tricks.
Anything is helpful at the point.

Thanks!

danphines
11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Not sure if too much torque would have been an issue. I only have a K04 with a GIAC J31, which I know is aggressive but I don't think so much that it should be requiring internal components to be strengthened.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, going to pick up an engine tomorrow. $800 for a full setup, not pull i tyourself, 136k miles. All I could find in my immediate area. (And I can fully get rid of the problem child engine the car came with.. goodbye low oil pressure?)

Can anyone guide me to a DIY for the engine swap, or give me a list of additional parts I should order or tips and tricks.
Anything is helpful at the point.

Thanks!

J31 can definitely cause a thrown rod. That file allows for a lot of torque.

Seerlah
11-20-2012, 01:03 PM
The torque spike that the k04 brings is strenuous on the stock rods. Smoother powerbands fare better than just a hard out the box torque hit. Even a t3/t04e 48 trim would be more lenient on your rods...and produce more power.

And you could find a short block for cheaper...Clicky Click (http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi)

M-Hood
11-20-2012, 01:58 PM
J31 can definitely cause a thrown rod. That file allows for a lot of torque.

yes but it happens at a much lower rpm, which means the rods are spinning at a much slower rate.

Mad Cow
11-20-2012, 03:58 PM
You should really take the time to do the timing belt/water pump and every seal you can reach while the motor's out, along with any cracked hoses and stuff. Basically make sure that the motor is spotless and perfect before you put it in because you don't want to be taking everything apart to replace something that was right in front of you when the motor was out. Good time to do clutch too if you feel it's slipping for the same reason, especially since you do have a k04 and tune.