PDA

View Full Version : AEB rebuild - Good oil pressure but no circulation?

keenyoung
10-31-2012, 11:49 PM
I bought a 1.8T with a busted timing belt. 130K miles. I rebuilt the head, new belt, tensioners, etc. I added an oil pressure gauge just for good measure. Mobil 0W-40 oil with OEM oil filter.

When I fired it up everything looked good. Some lifter noise, but I expected that from previous posts suggesting that it may take a while for the lifters to pump up. Cold oil pressure started at about 75 psi at idle. Took about half an hour to get up to 190 degrees. Oil pressure dropped steadily to about 30 psi at idle. Revving engine pumped the pressure up to 80 psi+, and back to about 30 psi at idle. Lifters definitely got quieter, but still a little noise. No dash lights.

Then I pulled the oil filler cap, and did not see any oil moving or pooling in the head. I would have assumed you could see at least some oil somewhere. The plastic diverter is in the way, but you can see a bit of the head where one of the head bolts is, and it's dry, or maybe just a bit damp with oil.

Before I have to go and pull the Valve cover again, can anyone tell me if they've pulled the cap on a running AEB engine, and whether they see oil flowing or at least pooling in the head? Is it possible to have good oil pressure but have no circulation to the cams/lifters? How long will my assembly lube last before the cams seize?

Thanks,
Keen

TheKid84
10-31-2012, 11:57 PM
0w 15? Check your oil pick up, oil pump etc

keenyoung
11-01-2012, 12:15 AM
If the pump was going or the pickup was clogged wouldn't I be getting worse oil pressure numbers? I really don't want to pull the oil pan if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Keen

0w 15? Check your oil pick up, oil pump etc

redline380
11-01-2012, 08:37 AM
its possible you have a plugged oil galley, but id say its because you have the oil baffle in there. if you're that interested, take off the valve cover and pull the baffles. theres a lot of us that dont use them. if you dont see oil slinging around after that, id say you may be onto an issue.

TheKid84
11-01-2012, 09:09 AM
trust me ive just done a oil pick up and oil pan service this month... can understand your point haha

034Motorsport
11-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I would definitely pull the valve cover as suggested and be sure. The cost of a valve cover gasket is minimal compared to ruining a cam journal, etc.

M-Hood
11-01-2012, 11:32 AM
I would definitely pull the valve cover as suggested and be sure. The cost of a valve cover gasket is minimal compared to ruining a cam journal, etc.

Shouldn't be a problem to just reuse that same VC gasket, I reuse mine all the time without any issue.