PDA

View Full Version : Bose system sounds like trash when cold

northcarohio
10-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi all,

The Bose Symphony system in my 01 has sounded great up until the last couple of months. Anyway, it has randomly started sounding terrible (especially when its cold out). Whether I have a cd in, tape adaptor, or radio on, the sound will be very distorted and unclear. This morning the entire left channel even cut out for a little while. It has also done some weird power surges to the rear subs.

The weird thing is, when its working right or seemingly warm outside it sounds as good as new.

Anyone had this problem before? Do I have a bad connection somewhere or do you think the factory amp in the headunit is going out and needs to be replaced?

Mr. KOOL AID
10-30-2012, 06:57 AM
I also have this problem when its cold out.

Avant Nate
10-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Me as well

walky_talky20
10-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Yeah, join the club: the Bose speakers have a known issue. The speaker eventually fails such that it creates a buzz until it warms up. I'm assuming the glue which attaches the dust cap or surround to the cone is what actually fails. Warming the glue allows it to adhere again, thus eliminating the buzz. <Walky Theory #28

This is definitely the case for the rears (http://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/anyone-who-thinks-theyve-blown-have-blown-bose-speaker-94428/), not sure if holds true for the fronts.

The speakers themselves are *actually* crap, with cheap paper drivers. I believe they are manufactured by Nokia. It's the Amp tuning that actually makes them sound good. Here is some discussion on the buzz issue, and a story of 1 guy getting free replacements direct from Bose:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/251357-Anyone-have-a-pass-front-lower-bose-speaker-handy

I tried it. They told me to go to Audi, cough up $300+, and enjoy the music. You may have better luck. A better option is to replace the speakers with some better aftermarket units.

northcarohio
10-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Yea I took out the dust covers in the back ages ago, which was an obvious case of design failure. I guess what I'm the most confused about is the inconsistency of the issues. Thats what led me to believe it was an amp or connection problem. It doesn't sound like the speakers themselves are out, but more so like they are receiving impure signals/power from the amp and headunit.

Well either way, I think I'll start with replacing the fronts with some 5 1/4 inch Infinitys and go from there. It can only help!

nemick
10-30-2012, 10:49 AM
If the speakers only sound good because of the tuning in the Bose amp, how does one know how it will all sound with decent speakers?

skim464
10-30-2012, 11:29 AM
must sounds great with decent speakers i guess..

walky_talky20
10-30-2012, 12:54 PM
If the speakers only sound good because of the tuning in the Bose amp, how does one know how it will all sound with decent speakers?

One would have to listen to it before one would know how it sounds.

Mad Cow
10-30-2012, 01:20 PM

It would probably sound ok at best, since the amp is tuned to get the most out of these speakers specifically. Put in completely different speakers with different frequency responses and it won't sound right.

nemick
10-30-2012, 03:13 PM
One would have to listen to it before one would know how it sounds.

Which could be a costly experiment.