PDA

View Full Version : Alternator rebuild

FU5E
10-28-2012, 12:25 PM
I am aware that my alternator has been making noise for a month now and I can push it no longer since it decided to start dropping voltage yesterday on the freeway. So I was wondering if there is a kit I can buy to rebuild it or (have it re-built). or should I just go buy a reman? I have not pulled if off yet so I dont know which I have at the moment either. I did some searching but I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

thanks.

jeffrey146
10-28-2012, 01:05 PM
i know there are places you can take them to get rebuilt.

walky_talky20
10-28-2012, 04:15 PM
I wrote a DIY about replacing the brushes on the Valeo units here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/358309-DIY-5-Alternator-Fix-replacing-brushes-%28Valeo%29

Anything further than that (bearing replacement, diode replacement, etc) requires desoldering some very high temp solder - not something that's very DIY friendly. In that case, I suggest you get an OEM Audi alternator from a junkyard for ~$35, throw in some new brushes and call it done. A quality reman alternator is another option, but that is a lot more expensive.

FU5E
10-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks, I read your DIY I just know I'm beyond brushes and wanted to seek out the possibility of a rebuild but I'm just going to get a reman