PDA

View Full Version : A4 tiptronic shift knob broken

Cj1976
10-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I just got finished putting a heater core in my sons 2000 a4 and the last part to install was the sifter knob. Guess what the button broke and the spring came out while trying to slide it back on. 16 hours of work for the heater core and I'm about ready to swallow a bullet[headbang]! Where can I go to find one of these besides the stealership. Is there an aftermarket kit for this or am I stuck going oem? I have not seen any used ones on eBay? Anyone have one for sale? Please help[=(]

kblackwe
10-28-2012, 09:02 AM
I just so happen to have one avail. : ). PM sent!

Lornnn
10-28-2012, 10:05 AM
I think I have a TIP shift knob, spring + button in a box somewhere. IIRC I didn't use it because I couldn't figure out how to situate the spring inside the knob itself. PM me I'm happy to help.

walky_talky20
10-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Crap. I wanted to get rid of my shifter knob too. I'll sweeten the deal, then: the knob is free, and I'll even ship it for free, too.

kblackwe
10-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Crap. I wanted to get rid of my shifter knob too. I'll sweeten the deal, then: the knob is free, and I'll even ship it for free, too.

Well, guess I can't beat walky's offer...congrats on a free replacement : ).

KraemerSXED
10-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Good way to bring down the market lol. I was gonna throw mine up for sale as well.

walky_talky20
10-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Haha, sorry guys. I just felt bad for the OP after he spent 16 hours in the dashboard.

Lornnn
10-29-2012, 07:15 AM
No worries, just tell us how the hell the thing goes back on...?

Plenty of DIYs on how to remove it but I was never able to put it back on without the button being useless.

Symon
10-29-2012, 08:06 AM
I don't know if anyone else does this but when I take my shift knob off before I do anything I pull the button the whole way out and jam a fuse or something small like that into the gap.

Maybe this can help someone avoid a future headache.