PDA

View Full Version : Pentfrost ++ safe?

JAM3S121
10-25-2012, 06:54 PM
I am in a bit of a bind. My car is about to sit at a body shop all of next week but there is a incoming storm that could potentially bring snow. My car may or may not have much antifreeze in it. I've had the coolant indicator light blink twice on me in the past 3months and I topped it off with distilled water. Not sure how much g12 if any is left in it. I was going to replace the coolant flange, ECT and thermostat after body work is done. (btw which ECT is okay to use with a 1999.5 AEB?)

The only coolant I can really find that may work is http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_++.pdf

can anyone tell me if this okay? Theres also http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_NF.pdf but I don't think this one is safe because I believe its g11?

I was planning on ordering a gallon of g12 on monday but it wont get here til after the storm. Napa doesn't carry what I need, nor autozone but advance auto has that pentosin.

Thanks

Seerlah
10-25-2012, 07:18 PM
I pick my G12 up from the dealership. Actually paid $25 today for a gallon of it with 6 valve cover nuts, from a VW dealership.

JAM3S121
10-25-2012, 07:21 PM
dealership is not that close to me or I would go there. Is the pentofrost++ safe? I believe OEM g12 is pentosin which makes pentofrost. If I have to I will go to the dealership but I know I can't leave the water just sitting in there if the weather gets bad next week which its supposed to be.

Seerlah
10-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Send a PM to Dan[FN]6262. He knows what anti-freeze is compatible with our system.

JAM3S121
10-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Okay thanks, I might drive to the dealer but I can't make it til saturday I have a feeling the pentofrost++ is safe but I want to make sure first. I really don't have any coolant left in the system anyway so I'm not too worried about mixing and I plan to flush the entire thing out when I get my new coolant flange kit and thermostat with oem g12 from ecstuning but that wont arrive soon enough.

walky_talky20
10-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes. You can run Pentfrost++ (aka G12++). G12++ can be mixed with either G12, G12+, or even G11 (the old blue stuff). That is why it is called "++", because it can mix with any of Audi's old coolants without issue.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2117401

If you put G12++ in, I would just leave it like that, unless you really like pink better than purple or something.

JAM3S121
10-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Awesome thanks again! Gonna buy a big container of it then tomorrow and just top it ill probably drain some of the water out too. Right now i really am not even sure if theres any g12 left but theres still pink color in the expansion tank. I'm sure if i flush it itll go clear. Ill flush the entire system when I change the thermostat and coolant flange. btw i am trying to figure out what coolant flange temp sender I need. The blue or green one? I have 1999.5 AEB.

walky_talky20
10-26-2012, 11:40 AM
The temp senders are all green now. So the question is whether you need the square connector or the "D" shaped connector. If you have 1999, just read the last 6 digits of your VIN number:

Less than 500,000? You need part number 059919501 (4-pin green, square connector)
More than 500,000? You need part number 059919501 A (4-pin green, D-shaped connector).

Or, you can just look at the back of the cylinder head and know which one you need right away, no math involved.

Dan[FN]6262
10-26-2012, 11:44 AM
I seem to never be able to find G12 when I empty my coolant system. So I have been using green coolant for about 2 years now.

If you're in a pinch and need some coolant in the system for freezing temps, go ahead and throw some green in, just flush it and put some G12 in whenever you go to do the coolant flange.