PDA

View Full Version : Clunking noise on the passenger side front tire over bumps

skim464
10-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi all

When I go over a bump faster than 5~6mph (like a speed bump) I hear a clunk and a bit of shake from the right side front tire.

I was inspecting underneath the car and found swaybar bracket bushing is distorted and looks fairly dead.

I already have the parts (my friend already had the parts I guess he was going to tackle the issue before he gave me the car??)

How hard is it to replace that bushing? I know it is only two bolts that are holding the bracket in place but would I be required to jack the vehicle up to free the load? take the tire out to free even more load from the sway bar?? or can I just take that bolt out and replace the bushing in place??

walky_talky20
10-25-2012, 03:35 PM
The main thing is to keep the tires evenly loaded. Either both in the air, or both on the ground. That way the bar isn't loaded at all (basically). You should be able to just remove the 4 nuts, drop the bar down, presto-change-o on the bushings, and bolt it back up.

Word of caution: be careful not to snap off the studs when you try to remove the nuts. Lube them first. If they are really rusty and don't move easily, STOP. Get some heat on those things and try again. If you break off and of those studs you're going to turn this from a small rattle into a pretty big problem, easily increasing the repair cost by 1000% or more.

skim464
10-25-2012, 04:00 PM
the nuts look shiny shiny I dont think it will break off on me. I tried to pull them off but sadly I do not have 13mm wrench nor 13mm deep socket so I will have to try that later! thx

KraemerSXED
10-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Word of caution: be careful not to snap off the studs when you try to remove the nuts. Lube them first. If they are really rusty and don't move easily, STOP. Get some heat on those things and try again. If you break off and of those studs you're going to turn this from a small rattle into a pretty big problem, easily increasing the repair cost by 1000% or more.

Yeah I did this on the S6 bracket. That was a spendy lesson. But can be fixable, doesn't make anything easier though.