PDA

View Full Version : Changed Rims, Now Both Front Wheels Locked

jatea4
10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Just switched to my winter stock rims and tires, noticed grease on inside of front driverside rim, CV boat area looks split. After lowering the car down and trying to drive the car wouldn't move. Ebrake is off, tried forward and backward. So I jacked the car back up, took the front wheel off and the tire will spin when no pressure is applied, but when I tighten the first lug down it is frozen. Same for the driverside front. Any ideas? Is this a differential issue or maybe the front drive axle?

97A6
10-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Are you using stock lugs?

jatea4
10-24-2012, 10:45 AM
No, using the ones from my other set, but worked fine with those and the two rear wheels are working fine.

97A6
10-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Lugs may be too long for the stock wheels. Try putting your other wheels on and I'll bet it will roll. Will just need a set of shorter lugs than you are currently using

jatea4
10-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Lugs may be too long for the stock wheels. Try putting your other wheels on and I'll bet it will roll. Will just need a set of shorter lugs than you are currently using

Thanks I'll try that.

Concker
10-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Sounds like your lugs are to long!
been there done that..

c0r3y.af
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Agreed with everyone else. I made the same mistake earlier this year and when I realized it was the lugs I felt like an idiot. Switch back to the stock lugs and you should be fine. Good luck!

nemick
10-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Just as an aside, make sure when you use shorter lugs or change them, that you're using the correct shoulder. I think stock wheels use a spherical seat lug and many after market wheels use a cone shaped lug. They don't mix, so be sure to use the correct type. Don't ask me how I know.

bikerbob951
10-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Just as an aside, make sure when you use shorter lugs or change them, that you're using the correct shoulder. I think stock wheels use a spherical seat lug and many after market wheels use a cone shaped lug. They don't mix, so be sure to use the correct type. Don't ask me how I know.

Bingo. I use the stock lugs with my stock wheels, and for my summer wheels I only use the lugs that came with them.

jatea4
10-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Yep, that was it, thanks guys!