PDA

View Full Version : chatter after gear change

JAM3S121
10-05-2012, 09:23 PM
It started sometime over the summer. I was eventually going to bring it to my mechanic friend soon.

Basically after the car is moving, and I want to put it into 2nd, 3rd, 4th theres a slight chatter sound like something is spinning possibly when i push down the clutch and change gears. As the next gear is engaged and my foot is off the clutch the sound is gone. The chatter sound is only present when moving, if I engage the clutch at idle nothing happens.

I do not think my clutch is slipping, I never have trouble getting into gear. At higher speeds 50-60 in 4th or 5th the car always accelerates properly (tach needle moves, speedo moves).

My car was just backed into at a local mall, I have the persons insurance and they are contacting me monday about looking at my car. I'm asking about this now because the more I think about it I might just want to get the car written off.. I am not a automotive expect and can't replace the clutch or anything that this seems to be related too. To add to that my car also has a coolant leak that I was just about to get fixed, and a bad rear wheel bearing. I can't really do any of this myself and none of my friends can either so its easily $800ish of money before I even add into the equation if something is wrong with the clutch or flywheel.

The damage was to my hood, fender and one headlight. The hood is bent upwards on the bad side, and the tip of it is managled putting pressure on the headlight which is also pushed in. The fender is also managed up at the tip where it meets the headlight and fender (that curved section). I'm no expert but I believe it would probably cost around $300-600 for the oem parts? and probably $300 each for prep and paint on each.. then labor of taking the stuff off and on?

Its 1999.5 b5 with 141k miles. As far as I know ( I was never told otherwise by the previous owner ) the car is still on the original clutch. I think I have another 25k ish miles before I need to worry about another timing belt also. It was replaced by the previous owner at 120k. I'm looking at this car and just seeing lots of $$$$$$$ needed.. although I don't really have much money to go out and buy a new car if i was given a write off for my car it doesn't make much sense to me to have the body work fixed if I need to pay some guy $1500+ for the repairs I need.

Seerlah
10-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Maybe throw out bearing?

JAM3S121
10-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Thats what I think too, its basically like.. foot on clutch while moving it makes a sound, as soon my foot is off its gone. The sound will go away if i kept my foot on it for like 3-5seconds though.

10kredline
10-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Thats what I think too, its basically like.. foot on clutch while moving it makes a sound, as soon my foot is off its gone. The sound will go away if i kept my foot on it for like 3-5seconds though.

My throw out bearing needs to be replaced also but mine will make the sound when my foot is off the clutch but when I step on it, the sound will go away. Don't know if yours is the throw out bearing though. Go under the car and look to see if all the transmission bolts are intact.

JAM3S121
10-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Any chance it could be boost related? I noticed it actually has nothing to do with my clutch.

If I am around 2.2k-3k rpms (when I typically shift) and ease off the gas it creates this surging chatter type sound coming from the left side of the car (right in front of the wheel to be specific)

I noticed it wasn't the clutch because it does this even if I dont engage the clutch. If I shift at really low Rpms, like 1.5k it doesn't do the sound.

JAM3S121
10-06-2012, 07:46 PM
could it be related the n75 valve or the DV?

JAM3S121
10-11-2012, 07:27 PM
you can hear the sound at 14seconds and 25 seconds really well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmI3w9Lwd7A&feature=youtu.be

listen closely for a flutter/chatter