PDA

View Full Version : Need dire help....

Jessejamesb5
10-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Got a 01 quatt, and its misfiring. New pkugs-gapped to spec, new wires and swapped out coil pack with a spare from my brothers a6....still doing it. Ran a code check and it was the Ignition Control Module or Unit. Was told that was the coilpacks on my car. So I swapped my old packs back on and nothing changed. Do I need to just repkace the packs?

And, valve cover gasket is leaking and I wana change it, but was told I need to check my camshaft seals or somthm while im in thete. Does the car have to be put in "service mode" to do this or can I do these just under the hood? Thanx alot fellasI

Jessejamesb5
10-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Just found a top end gasket kit from that JHMotorsports place for $95 {valve cover gaskets, camshaft seals, cam end capss, and cam,tensioner sealer and gasket) now any help or suggestions bout the misfire issue and also what level of difficulty(1_10 scale, 10 bein,hardest) on what im in for doing the gasket set myself?

brady.
10-07-2012, 08:11 PM
valve cover gasket very easy, do not need to put into full service for this. there is no DIY for it though. what you will need to do is:

-uninstall..
-take airfilter box, maf sensor + hosing off. this will give you room on left bank
-unscrew the 1 coolant reservoir screw, lift up and pull out, I laid mine upside down on the intake. this will clear right bank.
-loosen the 12 bolts on each cover, detach the cc breather hoses on each cover
-pull intake covers off

*now would be the time to do cams, again unsure if you can do this without going full service or not, research a DIY regarding this, I know there is a few out there.

-install..
-clean your contact surfaces where valve cover gaskets will go
-put gaskets on the cover
-put cover on, verify gaskets still in proper positioning
-torque the bolts to 7 ft pounds, make sure to do so with a proper torque pattern, inside out.. evenly!

WARNING: MY BOLTS SNAPPED WHEN TORQUEING
-if this happens to you, the original bolts will pop out.
-take the seal off and save for replacement bolts
-make sure to get heat resistant bolts, I got mine from autozone.

Jessejamesb5
10-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Wow, I cant thank you enough man. That was the dopest info I couldve xpected. Ima check it out and hopefully get some work done. Evn thougj I was told im losing oil oit my oil cap cuz the rubber seal is pretty chewed up, ima still do the gaskets then go from there. Again.....thank you!! Was thinking all hope was lost for me haha

AudiholicA4
11-06-2014, 09:41 AM
sorry know it's an old thread, but about to my seals before I sell my car, don't want to sell it with an oil leak and incase I don't sell it, atleast it's done,

when you take the covers off do you need to replace those bolts? or should you just replace them anyways?

Sent from my iPhone device