PDA

View Full Version : Building a methanol injected "upgraded" RS6-R S4

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zero Tolerance
09-29-2012, 08:55 PM
The original thread is here:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/478633-Building-a-methanol-injected-Tial-770R-S4

And all that happened there was six months of waiting for the bottom half of the engine to be rebuilt. There was a lot of wasted time (like the shop taking 30 days to order the parts from 034 while my car sat there) - and this and that - but that's all in the past now.

BUILD INFORMATION:

The motor was rebuilt and blueprinted with the following parts purchased from 034 Motorsport:
ROD SET, IE V6 154 — 154MM X 21MM FORGED CONNECTING RODS, AUDI V6
ROD BEARING SET — AUDI V6 ROD BEARING SET, COATED
MAIN BEARING SET — COATED MAIN BEARING SET, GLYCO, AUDI V6
HEAD STUDS, 2.7T — HEAD STUD KIT, AUDI 2.7T RWE-1051
HEAD GASKET KIT — CYLINDER HEAD GASKET SET, 2.7T, Q2 REQUIRED – *** INCLUDES MLS HEAD GASKETS ***
PISTON SET, JE V6 — JE FORGED PISTON SET, 2.7T – 82.0MM BORE / – 86.4MM STROKE / – 9.0:1 COMPRESSION RATIO – TOOL-STEEL WRIST PINS
PISTON COATING — JE THERMAL BARRIER CROWN COATING, JE TUFF SKIRT COATING
2 x Motor Mount, Density Line, B5 (Street Density)
2 x Transmission Mount, Density Line, B5 (Street Density)

Stage 3 parts:
- 034 Motorsport Cold Air Intake X34F Fiberglass – MAF Housing: RS4 or 85mm
- 034 Motorsport MAF hose for B5 RS4
- 034 Motorsport Billet Aluminum Diverter Valves (Pair)
- 034 Motorsport MAF Housing, Billet Aluminum for 2.7T Hitachi or Bosch, 85mm ID – MAF Element: Bosch – MAF Housing Adapter: None
- 034 Motorsport Coil Conversion & ICM Delete Kit, 2.7T to 2.0T FSI Coils
- 034 Motorsport Carbon Fiber Y-Pipe B5-RS4 Replica
- JH Motorsport Lightweight Flywheel and Stage 3 Clutch Combo w B7 RS4 Pressure Plate
- JH Motorsport Solid Short Throw Shifter, B5 S4, Early Style – Shifter Height: Normal – OEM Base for Pre 2000
- JH Motorsport RS6-R Turbos
- JH Motorsport Two Piece Lightweight Slotted Rotors
- Techtonics Exhaust – Cat-Back – JHM Stainless Steel True Dual 2.5 inch System – Downpipe Connection: Dual 2.5″
- Evolution Racewerks Side Mount Intercooler Kit w/o shrouds
- Coolant Sensor (Updated Green)
- Bosch 044 Motorsport Drop In Fuel Pump
- APR Bi-Pipes
- Devil's Own Methanol Injection System with 50/50 water mix
- Bosch EB 630cc 14 fuel injectors
- NGK V-Power spark plugs
- AR Design 3” Downpipes
- AP Racing 6600 Front Big Brake Kit
- New Turbo Inlet Hoses
- New Head Studs and Gaskets
- New Primary Oxygen Sensors
- New Clutch Fan and Fan Blade
- All new Coolant Reservoir Hoses, Reservoir Tank and Cap
- New Dunlop Direzza ZII 225/45R-17

Note from Velocity Factor (original installer):
Key notes: Calibration of the ECU for large MAF housing without grids and the fact that the engine has a larger bore and different compression. The bore is .020 and the compression is 9.0 to 1

Other notes:
The intake manifold was glass beaded; new runners were opened up a little and ported.
Re-done Cylinder heads with new Valve Guides, Seals and Lifters.

Weight Savings:
- Besides the already mentioned lightweight flywheel:
- Corbeau A4 seats in black leather (26lbs each)
- O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels in bright silver (17.1lbs each)
- Real Carbon fiber hood (to be painted Santorin Blue)
- Lightweight battery relocated to the trunk
- Sunroof delete
- Carbon fiber driveshaft
- I believe my brakes and exhaust may be lighter than stock as well. Not entirely sure.

tekazgtr1984
09-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Oh, I can't wait to see the finished product. That's a lotta mods!

Colour me jealous.

Zero Tolerance
09-29-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm anxious myself. This is phase 1. Phase 2 will be rebuilding the transmission, the upper half of the engine and getting some upgraded pieces of that puzzle. I'll be looking for advice on all of that as well.

The exterior is getting some updates as well. The headlights and taillights in the following videos will be used:
http://youtu.be/A2ry8hLZjcc
http://youtu.be/cv9H0vAj9I4

They look classy to me but not everybody will like them. Oh and LED fog lights are waiting to be installed as well.

S4 00 2.7
09-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Nice build you got there. I will follow this for sure.

01xSilverS4
09-30-2012, 02:36 AM
^x2! You have a nice list of parts here. [up] I was kind of curious on one thing though. How come the 2.5" dp's opposed to say a 3"?

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 10:06 AM
ARDesign suggested true dual 2.5" pipes over a 3" single exhaust so we just matched the diameter everywhere. I did some reading before I placed the order and it seems there are two different groups who believe one way is better than the other. If this way doesn't work out there's always the other way.

Oh and believe it or not, I didn't want an extremely loud exhaust... I don't want to attract more attention than I already will be.

UkuRiSh
09-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Nice list Good Luck man .

hcaudikeed
09-30-2012, 10:43 AM
From other threads, I gather money isn't really an issue. Curious as to why you went with the devil's own kit over, say, an aquamist kit. I went with a coolingmist stage 2 kit. Which bipipes and injectors did you go with?

stevesS4
09-30-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm jelly bro looks like a really nice build, glad it's finally coming along.

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 01:09 PM
From other threads, I gather money isn't really an issue. Curious as to why you went with the devil's own kit over, say, an aquamist kit. I went with a coolingmist stage 2 kit. Which bipipes and injectors did you go with?

AR Design also suggested Devil's Own. I wanted the latest and greatest Aquamist but I think they were trying to save me money. I don't know. I think I have a pretty good setup with some sort of fail safe in place. Basically I went with whatever 034 and AR Design suggested.

sektor M7
09-30-2012, 01:30 PM
AR Design= Shawn= ex Vast "tech" employee=blew Alex Z car up multiple times=lawsuit=settled= plus a box of parts and a shelll= Vast gone=Shawn=search Vast tech sales=endless alias accounts to hype a non proven product=banned a hundred times=blatantly ripped off/copied a certain canadian tuners header design who had the first GTcars running successfully and claimed it is his design=incompetant fool who does not understand the principles of a Otto engine.

Good luck or better run as fast as you can.

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Heh heh! This should be an interesting run... Let's see what happens. If the car sucks, I'll start over. :p

tico
09-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Heh heh! This should be an interesting run... Let's see what happens. If the car sucks, I'll start over. :p

what do you currently drive? why did you sell the 770 turbos? it makes more sense to build up the motor for the 770s thant for anything else. The power will be limited by the turbo(RS6-R) itself.

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 03:46 PM
what do you currently drive? why did you sell the 770 turbos? it makes more sense to build up the motor for the 770s thant for anything else. The power will be limited by the turbo(RS6-R) itself.

I drive a full-size luxury sedan. I hate to say it but I fell for the whole "LAG NONSENSE" when it comes to big turbos. That and you have some really outspoken people out there constantly criticizing Tials. So, yeah I fell for it. For some stupid reason I completely disregarded the fact that I could simply DOWN SHIFT to be where the power is. You know - rocket science. I suppose all that hard work is too much for some people.

Then again, I was very impressed by the 10.8 run by JHM and maybe I WILL enjoy the earlier onset of power with the RS6-Rs. I'm willing to spend the money to see how things go. If I were to start all over again, I'd go with a built VR6 and a bigger set of turbos.

I'm hoping that with the larger compressor wheel, methanol injection and a strong tune from J-Fonz, the car will be fast. If it isn't fast enough for me I'll make changed.

tico
09-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I drive a full-size luxury sedan. I hate to say it but I fell for the whole "LAG NONSENSE" when it comes to big turbos. That and you have some really outspoken people out there constantly criticizing Tials. So, yeah I fell for it. For some stupid reason I completely disregarded the fact that I could simply DOWN SHIFT to be where the power is. You know - rocket science. I suppose all that hard work is too much for some people.

Then again, I was very impressed by the 10.8 run by JHM and maybe I WILL enjoy the earlier onset of power with the RS6-Rs. I'm willing to spend the money to see how things go. If I were to start all over again, I'd go with a built VR6 and a bigger set of turbos.

I'm hoping that with the larger compressor wheel, methanol injection and a strong tune from J-Fonz, the car will be fast. If it isn't fast enough for me I'll make changed.

Why a B5 S4 to run 10s? Also, to run 10s it takes more than a bunch of aftermarket parts. You should buy yourself a GTR or a 911 and if you can shift a ZR1 is good option. Also, you sound like money is not an issue for you you can get a Twin Turbo or Supercharged R8. Maybe a visit to Italy to see if they let you get into the Italian club cars.

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Why a B5 S4 to run 10s? Also, to run 10s it takes more than a bunch of aftermarket parts. You should buy yourself a GTR or a 911 and if you can shift a ZR1 is good option. Also, you sound like money is not an issue for you you can get a Twin Turbo or Supercharged R8. Maybe a visit to Italy to see if they let you get into the Italian club cars.

I like sleepers. A 10 second B5 S4 will impress me more than an 9 second GTR or ZR1.

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh and just to note: I originally emailed "a vendor who doesn't want to be mentioned" asking how long it would take to ship their GT28RS kit. Some guy got back to me the same night and convinced me to go with RS6-Rs. At that time I was still going back and forth with what I really wanted and he made my decision very easy. I'm always watching what people have to say about their setups and will definitely keep all my options opened as to what I go with next if I'm not satisfied with the current build. I still want to give some attention to the upper half of the motor before determining whether or not I'm satisfied with the RS6-Rs.

s4930
09-30-2012, 05:04 PM
What made you pick velocity factor?

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
What made you pick velocity factor?

Proximity, proximity, proximity... I figured how difficult could it be to bolt on a bunch of parts. If I had the right tools and space, I'd have done it myself. I passed up a couple of good shops, including USP Motorsports, to give Velocity Factor a shot at this. Felipe, the owner, is a good guy. I am a very good judge of character. It's my God given talent. I feel comfortable having him work on my car. I only wish he was a little quicker when dealing with me. I kinda feel like an afterthought as my car does a WHOLE lot of sitting there being untouched.

TLO03
09-30-2012, 05:49 PM
You are about to find out how hard it is to bolt up some parts. He maybe a good guy but that dosent mean he's a good stg3 guy. I mentioned to you before these things always take longer than you think, and it did. Now i will tell you just because a stg3 car is back together dosen't mean it will ready to rip.

S4 00 2.7
09-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I like sleepers. A 10 second B5 S4 will impress me more than an 9 second GTR or ZR1.

X2. It's funny surprising people.

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 06:57 PM
You are about to find out how hard it is to bolt up some parts. He maybe a good guy but that dosent mean he's a good stg3 guy. I mentioned to you before these things always take longer than you think, and it did. Now i will tell you just because a stg3 car is back together dosen't mean it will ready to rip.

I here ya. Nothing really surprises me anymore. When I do get it back the first time, it's going to have a break-in tune. So it'll still be some time before I even have the car ready to go.

X2. It's funny surprising people.

It certainly is. I've had a few fast cars before and I never had as much fun as I have when nobody expects the car to be fast.

tico
09-30-2012, 07:14 PM
I like sleepers. A 10 second B5 S4 will impress me more than an 9 second GTR or ZR1.nice! i assume you can afford those cars. Hope you can get your b5 S4 to run 10s'. I don't know if you have realized but there are only a couple of these cars in the 10s.

do you have pics of the fastest car you have owned?

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Yes, I can afford those cars. For now. Nobody knows what the future brings. I'd love for my S4 to be in the 10s at one point or another - but honestly - I'd be ecstatic with low 11s as well. I'm aiming high, I know...

I do have pictures of my fastest cars but they were all basically sleepers - so nothing astonishing like a Lamborghini or Ferrari.

tico
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes, I can afford those cars. For now. Nobody knows what the future brings. I'd love for my S4 to be in the 10s at one point or another - but honestly - I'd be ecstatic with low 11s as well. I'm aiming high, I know...

I do have pictures of my fastest cars but they were all basically sleepers - so nothing astonishing like a Lamborghini or Ferrari.

Civics?

Zero Tolerance
09-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Civics?

Mostly GMs and a BMW. All stuff you see so often you get tired of.

Zero Tolerance
10-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Just received an email from Velocity Factor. They're selling me a wideband, polyurethane motor and transmission mounts. What's in store for this week? The installation of turbos, sidemounts, clutch and long block back into the car. Hopefully all goes well. If so, this will be the most productive week out of all 23 so far...

AWDLAUNCH
10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
If I were you I would of pulled the car long time ago from them, that is crazy BS time frame for this build!

tico
10-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Just received an email from Velocity Factor. They're selling me a wideband, polyurethane motor and transmission mounts. What's in store for this week? The installation of turbos, sidemounts, clutch and long block back into the car. Hopefully all goes well. If so, this will be the most productive week out of all 23 so far...

build ups w/out pics are boring. just saying. A man with all that "money" might have at least a chinesse Iphone

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/41159_445950993712_6479561_n.jpg

Zero Tolerance
10-01-2012, 01:27 PM
If I were you I would of pulled the car long time ago from them, that is crazy BS time frame for this build!

Yeah. It's been awhile but now that they're getting started, let's see what they can do.

build ups w/out pics are boring. just saying. A man with all that "money" might have at least a chinesse Iphone

They're supposed to be sending me pictures as they go along. Hopefully they do. They're not exactly around the corner or I'd be there taking pictures myself.

I just ordered engine/transmission mounts from 034 and they're shipping overnight. So they'll really have every single thing they need to move forward by tomorrow morning.

s4930
10-01-2012, 05:50 PM
im pumped to see your build.. do you live in boca? im in parkland..

Zero Tolerance
10-01-2012, 06:21 PM
im pumped to see your build.. do you live in boca? im in parkland..

I live right in the area. We'll get a few of us to PBIR one day soon.

BRSFour
10-01-2012, 06:30 PM
i like your style. i'll be building mine with RS6-Rs and all sorts of other goodies in May of next year. good luck with everything! i hope you're happy with the end result!

Zero Tolerance
10-01-2012, 07:11 PM
i like your style. i'll be building mine with RS6-Rs and all sorts of other goodies in May of next year. good luck with everything! i hope you're happy with the end result!

Thanks. I'll keep this thread updated with everything concerning the build.

s4930
10-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Hey I read your blog do you still have the carbon hood?

Zero Tolerance
10-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Hey I read your blog do you still have the carbon hood?

Sorry, I don't...

TLO03
10-01-2012, 10:58 PM

X10

Jupiteraudi
10-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Zero,

On a positive note, by allowing Velocity to complete the build it eliminates other shops from casting blame on others.

Doing anything with your exhaust manifolds? Keeping the stockers? I didn't see anything on your mod list unless I missed it.

s4930
10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Zero,

On a positive note, by allowing Velocity to complete the build it eliminates other shops from casting blame on others.

Doing anything with your exhaust manifolds? Keeping the stockers? I didn't see anything on your mod list unless I missed it.

this is true! the worse thing you can do it take your car from shop to shop.. i wonder if 2.8 mani's could be adapted to rs6's

Zero Tolerance
10-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Zero,

I hear ya. I could always give another shop "phase 2" to work on if Velocity Factor doesn't speed things up. The intake manifolds were cleaned and glass beaded. They look cleaner than factory. :p The runners were opened up a little and ported but there was no reason to take them any further as the intake ports on my heads are factory size. By going any further on the manifolds the air would hit a rather larger lip on the intake ports as they'd be much smaller then the intake runner ports (they wouldnt match). When I'm ready, somebody from "a vendor who doesn't want to be mentioned" is going to do a full rework on the manifolds and throttle body to where they'll out perform RS4 equivalents.

NOTORIOUS VR
10-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm confused... you bought JHM RS6-R's and then you had them modified once again with even bigger compressor wheels?

Find of playing with fire here don't you think?

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm confused... you bought JHM RS6-R's and then you had them modified once again with even bigger compressor wheels?

Find of playing with fire here don't you think?

No, I purchased RS6-Rs that were already in "a vendor who doesn't want to be mentioned"'s possession and they did the modifying with an even bigger compressor wheel. Playing with fire? Maybe. I don't care.

NOTORIOUS VR
10-03-2012, 10:36 AM
you don't care?

ok...

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 10:37 AM
you don't care?

ok...

What's the worst that can happen? Blown motor? This isn't my daily driver.

Monty23
10-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Would you like to donate to my STK fund? I'm serious.

NOTORIOUS VR
10-03-2012, 11:24 AM

that't not even remotely what I was trying to get at.

What I'm saying is the guys @ JHM put together a turbo that is clearly matched quite well in regards to their intended use.

Just blatantly slapping in a bigger compressor wheels isn't always such a good idea. There are generally many considerations when doing something like this.

So while you might think you may be getting a "better turbo" because it has a bigger compressor wheel, you might be getting a worse performing turbo. Unless ARD has data to prove otherwise VS. the RS6-R of course.

tico
10-03-2012, 11:27 AM
No, I purchased RS6-Rs that were already in AR Design's possession and they did the modifying with an even bigger compressor wheel. Playing with fire? Maybe. I don't care. Why would you then be concerned if your "RS6-R were geniune JHMs?

I guess I need to find out if my RS6-Rs are genuine JHMs as well. PM sent...

Your answers are starting to not make sense and sound more like lies. Post some pics of all those parts you said you already purchased.

edit: nterested in more info on the modified rs6-r turbos. How were you guys able to fit a larger compressor wheel if the housing was already machined by jhm?? is it billet?? send me the contact info I am interested

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 11:33 AM
that't not even remotely what I was trying to get at.

What I'm saying is the guys @ JHM put together a turbo that is clearly matched quite well in regards to their intended use.

Just blatantly slapping in a bigger compressor wheels isn't always such a good idea. There are generally many considerations when doing something like this.

So while you might think you may be getting a "better turbo" because it has a bigger compressor wheel, you might be getting a worse performing turbo. Unless ARD has data to prove otherwise VS. the RS6-R of course.

I didn't realize that's what you were getting at. You make perfect sense. The only way to know whether I have something better or worse is to get the car on a dyno after everything is installed. Part of me wishes I just went with my original plan of Tial 770s but what's done is done. I'm anxious to see how the car performs with what I've got.

Why would you then be concerned if your "RS6-R were geniune JHMs?

The turbos I got were in the hands of the vendor I purchased them from before they were available to the public. So... I'm curious as to which turbos I received. The first pack, second or third. It seems the later, the better.

Your answers are starting to not make sense and sound more like lies. Post some pics of all those parts you said you already purchased.

Can you elaborate on your concerns regarding my build? I imagine there's been a lot of people here in the past who've lied about their builds but I don't see the joy in doing so. You're not the first person to question my integrity. Unfortunately, I had everything shipped to Velocity Factor and getting them to take pictures of anything is like pulling teeth. I have no issue sending you their contact information to verify my build if you'd like. Maybe that would give them a little bump to take pictures. I don't know.

tico
10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I didn't realize that's what you were getting at. You make perfect sense. The only way to know whether I have something better or worse is to get the car on a dyno after everything is installed. Part of me wishes I just went with my original plan of Tial 770s but what's done is done. I'm anxious to see how the car performs with what I've got.

The turbos I got were in hand at ARD before they were available to the public. So... I'm curious as to which turbos I received. The first pack, second or third. It seems the later, the better.

Can you elaborate on your concerns regarding my build? I imagine there's been a lot of people here in the past who've lied about their builds but I don't see the joy in doing so. You're not the first person to question my integrity. Unfortunately, I had everything shipped to Velocity Factor and getting them to take pictures of anything is like pulling teeth. I have no issue sending you their contact information to verify my build if you'd like. Maybe that would give them a little bump to take pictures. I don't know.

show your bills for the 770r you said you purchased and sold and also for the parts you already purchased. You dont have show how much you paid. Or show us the tracking numbers of all those parts being shipped to Velocity Factor.

Corbett
10-03-2012, 11:49 AM
show your bills for the 770r you said you purchased and sold and also for the parts you already purchased. You dont have show how much you paid. Or show us the tracking numbers of all those parts being shipped to Velocity Factor.

Lol why the fck would he need to do that?

tico
10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Lol why the fck would he need to do that? He does not have to.

I just called AR Design to ask about these turbos Zero Tolerance said he purchased from them. I was told that AR Design only sales the DP for our cars and that they do not recall ever selling RS6-Rs to anyone or recommending to anyone what this guy said here.

Corbett
10-03-2012, 11:56 AM
He does not have to.

I just called AR Design to ask about these turbos Zero Tolerance said he purchased from them. I was told that AR Design only sales that DP for our cars and that they do not recall ever selling RS6-Rs to anyone or recommending to anyone what this guy said here.

Ok I'm going to need to see a copy of your cell phone bill to prove this happened.

tico
10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Ok I'm going to need to see a copy of your cell phone bill to prove this happened. give me your phone number and we can get in a conference call unless you want to wait for phone bill.

Corbett
10-03-2012, 11:59 AM
give me your phone number and we can get in a conference call unless you want to wait for phone bill.

Ill wait for the phone bill. Ill also need a recording of the call and the heart of your first child overnighted to me

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Call Velocity Factor and ask if there's a B5 S4 build being worked on with RS6-R turbos. :p I'm tempted to produce receipts for you but I'm not going to do that. The build is almost done and I will let it speak for itself when the time comes. There are a few people here on the east coast of south Florida who will see the car first hand.

It's sad that some people have to make up builds. :p I mean - MY build isn't even that spectacular! If I were going to fake one I'd use something like Loba750s not modified RS6s. :p

Monty23
10-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Ill wait for the phone bill. Ill also need a recording of the call and the heart of your first child overnighted to me

Hahaha you guys crack me up... thanks for the laugh[:D]

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Anyway. I sent an email to Velocity Factor asking them for the serial number on the turbos so I'll have verification on that as soon as they respond. Again, just curious to know what "version" I received.

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Tico. You're wasting your time and making yourself look silly.

tico
10-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Tico. You're wasting your time and making yourself look silly.

Oh! I can't waste my time? Your build is silly and I am having fun with it. Good luck with your "build"

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Oh! I can't waste my time? Your build is silly and I am having fun with it. Good luck with your "build"

Why don't you get back to work? :p Your boss is calling you...

Really. Go right ahead and keep piling it on, beautiful. It's just going to make you look el tardo when all is said and done. :p

Jupiteraudi
10-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Tico, you've been throwing subtle jabs at the Op since your 1st post. It seems you have an issue with the financial aspect of the entire project. Italian car club, ability to afford GT-R's and Porsches, then a subtle civic comment? What's the deal? It's not your build! Does it bother you so much to question and request copies of receipts? Aren't we all owners or former owners of the same platform and share similar interest? The B5 platform is very accessible for everyone at this point but not for a proper stage 3 + build. Others try to piece together shit and cut corners when possible. I think we all know the result of such builds. I understand you want proof but you came out of the gates with an entirely different agenda.

Zero has been questioned by me regarding the complexity of the build and mainly shop selection. Yes, it has taken too long, so long to the extent he was ready to throw in the towel on the entire project. I was actually considering buying the car and the parts (I also live in South Florida) but he has decided to pursue the build and keep everything. I have my own B5 to babysit so the idea of two might drive me insane.

Zero, Notorious is a well respected member of this platform and I'm sure was only trying to voice concerns.

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Tico, you've been throwing subtle jabs at the Op since your 1st post. It seems you have an issue with the financial aspect of the entire project. Italian car club, ability to afford GT-R's and Porsches, then a subtle civic comment? What's the deal? It's not your build! Does it bother you so much to question and request copies of receipts? Aren't we all owners or former owners of the same platform and share similar interest? The B5 platform is very accessible for everyone at this point but not for a proper stage 3 + build. Others try to piece together shit and cut corners when possible. I think we all know the result of such builds. I understand you want proof but you came out of the gates with an entirely different agenda.

Zero has been questioned by me regarding the complexity of the build and mainly shop selection. Yes, it has taken too long, so long to the extent he was ready to throw in the towel on the entire project. I was actually considering buying the car and the parts (I also live in South Florida) but he has decided to pursue the build and keep everything. I have my own B5 to babysit so the idea of two might drive me insane.

Zero, Notorious is a well respected member of this platform and I'm sure was only trying to voice concerns.

Thank you. :p And, yes - I do respect Notorious and his opinion. He's probably right. There's a few glaring holes in my project but it's too late now to turn back. I should have gone with a 3.0 and 770Rs but I will probably push what I have to the limit and see what comes of it. I think I'll be satisfied. At least for awhile.

It's surely annoying to most people that I have no pictures. Believe me - I'm more annoyed than anybody. Like I said earlier, it's like pulling teeth getting pictures from Velocity Factor. I really hope they've found time to actually work on my build this week. It's Wednesday. I should have a report from them on Friday. I really, really hope some stuff is done.

In four days it'll be six full months my car has been at Velocity Factor. I miss my little blue car. :p

NOTORIOUS VR
10-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I wasn't trying to make any jabs at your project, I was just curious as why someone would take a brand new set of already hybrid turbos and then change them. What I didn't know at the time was that you bought them from someone else (ARD) that had already modified them.

Either way, best of luck!

tico
10-03-2012, 03:21 PM

This thread should go here B5 S4/RS4 Projects & Builds (http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/161-B5-S4-RS4-Projects-amp-Builds)

I am good with his build. The thing is that when you read the OP comments they dont make sense. He has said money is not an issue for him, as you can read somewhere here he can afford a ZR1, but at the same time he seems to not have the resources to demand his shop to finish/work on his car. Read his previous Tial 770R build up it is a joke.

s4930
10-03-2012, 03:26 PM
is jfonz sending you a base file and tuning from logs? awd motorsports in coral springs has an awd dyno maybe that would work for you for live tuning

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 03:31 PM
I wasn't trying to make any jabs at your project, I was just curious as why someone would take a brand new set of already hybrid turbos and then change them. What I didn't know at the time was that you bought them from someone else (ARD) that had already modified them.

Either way, best of luck!

Thank you. Hopefully everything will fall into place.

This thread should go here B5 S4/RS4 Projects & Builds (http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/161-B5-S4-RS4-Projects-amp-Builds)

I am good with his build. The thing is that when you read the OP comments they dont make sense. He has said money is not an issue for him, as you can read somewhere here he can afford a ZR1, but at the same time he seems to not have the resources to demand his shop to finish/work on his car. Read his previous Tial 770R build up it is a joke.

I don't have access to start threads in that area...

Otherwise. Maybe the problem is I've been learning as I go along. I came into this project knowing almost nothing and did most of my ordering early on - without enough research. Now I'm just hoping I received good advice from the right people. Like I said, there's not much I can do at this point. What resources can I use to demand the shop finish working on my car? I've already expressed to them that everything is taking too long but they do a good job of reassuring me that they're going to do a good job and simply don't want to rush. I know it's probably nonsense but the car is where it is and it's probably in my best interests to just leave it there. What else can I do? Bribe them to hurry up and finish? I've kind of nonchalantly already done that... It doesn't seem to have worked.

Maybe one of the problems here is that they've underestimated me. I drove there with an expensive car the first time, a different expensive car the second time, I've paid all their invoices within 5 minutes of them sending them to me - never bat an eye at what they're charging me - and I've even told them they cannot scare me with an estimate. Beyond that, I've asked them to hire additional employees that I would pay for. Maybe they think I'm being sarcastic and don't really have the means. I don't know. But there's not much more I can do without being really nasty. And like I've mentioned before, Felipe - the owner - is a good guy. I have a hard time being pissed at him for whatever is taking so long to get this project off the ground.

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 03:32 PM
is jfonz sending you a base file and tuning from logs? awd motorsports in coral springs has an awd dyno maybe that would work for you for live tuning

I know it sounds funny but I just don't know. As far as I do know - Velocity Factor will be sending out my ECU for him to do an initial tune for a new engine break-in period. After that, the ECU will be sent out again for a full tune.

s4930
10-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I know it sounds funny but I just don't know. As far as I do know - Velocity Factor will be sending out my ECU for him to do an initial tune for a new engine break-in period. After that, the ECU will be sent out again for a full tune.

hmm i would double check on that... anyways if you need help logging anything let me know!

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 03:45 PM
hmm i would double check on that... anyways if you need help logging anything let me know!

Well I put J-Fonz and Velocity Factor in touch with one another so I hope they've got that situated for me. What doesn't sound right to you? And, yes - I will definitely need help with logging and all that stuff. I know I've got some stuff to buy in that regards - but I figure I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

philthyphil
10-03-2012, 03:49 PM

Why do you need a special tune for a break in? It seems like people here baby their engines for the first xxx miles, thats stupid. Get a real tune, do real driving and break in the engine properly. On my 750whp lexus we broke in the engine on the dyno. Within 20 miles it was already making 750whp or about 850 to the crank. If it's gonna break it'll break then.

This is how an engine should be broken in.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Clutches do require more restraint, but they still need to be romped on too.

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Why do you need a special tune for a break in? It seems like people here baby their engines for the first xxx miles, thats stupid. Get a real tune, do real driving and break in the engine properly. On my 750whp lexus we broke in the engine on the dyno. Within 20 miles it was already making 750whp or about 850 to the crank. If it's gonna break it'll break then.

This is how an engine should be broken in.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Clutches do require more restraint, but they still need to be romped on too.

I'll read that article but I do also have a new clutch to break in. I'm just listening to what the builder is telling me - who seems to be very experienced in building race cars. Not Audi's - but other makes. I listen to what more knowledgeable people tell me and go from there. But like I said - I'll read the article and take it into consideration.

s4930
10-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Well I put J-Fonz and Velocity Factor in touch with one another so I hope they've got that situated for me. What doesn't sound right to you? And, yes - I will definitely need help with logging and all that stuff. I know I've got some stuff to buy in that regards - but I figure I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

i have a vag com and all the software needed on my computer... and what doesnt sound right is having to ship the ecu twice?

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 03:57 PM
i have a vag com and all the software needed on my computer... and what doesnt sound right is having to ship the ecu twice?

Cool.

Maybe I should ask J-Fonz what the process will be. I'm not sure if his tunes have "maps" for different scenarios.

s4930
10-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Cool.

Maybe I should ask J-Fonz what the process will be. I'm not sure if his tunes have "maps" for different scenarios.

yea man i would get in touch with jfonz and see whats going on... i dont think our ecu's have stackable programs like the later models do through the cruise control. i dont mean to be a pain in the ass im just curious as to how velocity is handling this because of my experience with them and other stories that have popped up here and there. ill be more than happy to discuss issues that ive had several times with them privately dont really want to make them public... take a look at southern knights or south florida racing if its still around.

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 04:21 PM
yea man i would get in touch with jfonz and see whats going on... i dont think our ecu's have stackable programs like the later models do through the cruise control. i dont mean to be a pain in the ass im just curious as to how velocity is handling this because of my experience with them and other stories that have popped up here and there. ill be more than happy to discuss issues that ive had several times with them privately dont really want to make them public... take a look at southern knights or south florida racing if its still around.

I've seen some interesting stories but nothing from Southern Knights and I believe SFR is down for good... If you have a chance, PM me some information. It's always good to be informed.

I just emailed J-Fonz for details on how the process works. He doesn't usually take long to get back to me...

Thank you

tico
10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Zero, you might have to like [up] them on FB for them to post pics of your project or maybe they just don't like Audis. Their FB page show some Nissans
http://www.facebook.com/VelocityFactorFL

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
There's a picture of my car on their Facebook page. It's the car on the left. That's it. It's been like that for a long, long time.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150944368204067&set=pb.181162564066.-2207520000.1349303729&type=1&theater

This is their other Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/velocity.factor

And here's the one I usual watch:
https://www.facebook.com/VelocityFactorFL

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Zero, you might have to like [up] them on FB for them to post pics of your project or maybe they just don't like Audis. Their FB page show some Nissans
http://www.facebook.com/VelocityFactorFL

Oh and I forgot to mention. Besides the engine rebuild, nothing has happened. They gave me some expectations for this week so maybe they started on the actual build this passed Monday. THAT would be great and that would mean they SHOULD have taken a few pictures by now. I can only hope.

sektor M7
10-03-2012, 04:49 PM
He does not have to.

I just called AR Design to ask about these turbos Zero Tolerance said he purchased from them. I was told that AR Design only sales the DP for our cars and that they do not recall ever selling RS6-Rs to anyone or recommending to anyone what this guy said here.

There are two "ARD"'s, one is in Colorado doing exhaust fab work and the other one is on the East Coast (Michigan?) and used to be in bed with Vast. Just search Vast/techsales .....a real gem of a "expert".

tico
10-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention. Besides the engine rebuild, nothing has happened. They gave me some expectations for this week so maybe they started on the actual build this passed Monday. THAT would be great and that would mean they SHOULD have taken a few pictures by now. I can only hope.

good luck with those guys and you should had kept the 770

Jupiteraudi
10-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Tico, I'm very familiar with the old thread and have questioned Zero on this forum, other forums and PM's regarding many aspects of the build but primarily the shop choice.

I take mine to a shop (USP) that is well known for their focus on VW, Audi and Porsche. They charge for their abilities (I'm not mechanically inclined) and I'm ok with paying for such. I think Zero would be ok as well. Remember we both live in Southeast Fl. and I question why he wouldn't take it there. There are also several other shops nearby with good feedback but in the same sentence I say it's positive to keep it with one shop! Double-edged sword I guess but I believe he would be driving it right now if he took it where I suggested and when. Sorry Zero, I think you would agree though.

You seemed to attack the financial side of things and choice of car. You like the car right? Don't you own one? Would you like to see the results for the exact car you own? Anyway you get the idea and I understand you think it's a joke but no reason to harp on the funds.

Notorious, I knew you weren't making jabs at the build.

Zero Tolerance
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
good luck with those guys and you should had kept the 770

Thanks. And you're right.

smit2100
10-04-2012, 02:49 AM
There are two "ARD"'s, one is in Colorado doing exhaust fab work and the other one is on the East Coast (Michigan?) and used to be in bed with Vast. Just search Vast/techsales .....a real gem of a "expert".

Hi

I can't relate to Tico's post that categorically states that ARD have not sold any RS6-R turbo's. Further to the post above, definitely a case of mistaken identity and premature shooting from the hip (ARD = Air Research Design) , otherwise why would you bother plunking in the middle of your website (reference link below)

"Custom Factory Base 2.7T Turbocharger Kits (1)
Coming Soon

750+HP Starting @ $2795.00 Email for info

That sniffs of modified RS6-R to me and if it isn't, please enlighten me to what this new factory based turbo kit is based on

http://www.ardesign.org/

So to zero tolerance, having seen this on their website last week, thankyou for your post, as you saved me an email and a seperate post as I was wondering what they were going to do to JHM's RS6-R to ramp up the HP.

Zero Tolerance
10-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Let me say this and please allow this to be "the record" for what's going on...

Forget about ARD. When I initially start gathering information and placing orders, I was speaking with four different people from four different companies. The mix-up is my fault. Does ARD sell turbos? I don't know. It looks like their website says they do - but Tico was told they don't. I sent an email yesterday asking Velocity Factor to look at my turbos and grab the serial number for me. They still haven't responded. When they get back to me, I'll know more about what they are. First batch, second batch, third batch - prototype? Who knows?

Like Tico said, I should have just stuck with the Tial 770s. I fell for the nonsense about "lag" forgetting I could just down shift and never know anything about it. I also should have had the block built to 3.0 liters - but I didn't.

Anyway. Velocity Factor typically gives me an update stating where they are on Fridays. So hopefully I'll have some good news tomorrow. I don't know how much/what they should be able to accomplish in a week. What would you say I should expect? I'll take that into consideration and if they're not working at a satisfactory speed, I will ask for some type of guarantee on a time frame. I don't know what more I can do...

Monty23
10-04-2012, 10:55 AM
If the motor is fully assembled and the car is just sitting in parts, take it to USP and have them install your motor and all the parts and they could tune your car for you too, Why not give them a call and see what options they can give you... It seems like Velocity Factor collected your money and doesn't care about their end of the deal.

USP Motorsports:
7716 Wiles Road Coral Springs, FL 33067
(954) 755-7772

Zero Tolerance
10-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Well let me find out where they're at tomorrow. If it's another week of nothing substancial, I'll speak to them about a time guarantee and see where that brings me. This IS the first week they've had everything needed to actually start bolting on parts. Everything until this point took a LONG time (six months) but now the ball is entirely in their court to get working.

If the motor is fully assembled and the car is just sitting in parts, take it to USP and have them install your motor and all the parts and they could tune your car for you too, Why not give them a call and see what options they can give you... It seems like Velocity Factor collected your money and doesn't care about their end of the deal.

USP Motorsports:
7716 Wiles Road Coral Springs, FL 33067
(954) 755-7772

Monty23
10-04-2012, 11:10 AM
That makes sense, I'm not starting my single build until I have all the parts I need as well. However, I'm sure USP would have had the knowledge and resources to get all the parts you needed in an acceptable time frame.... but hindsight is 20/20...

Zero Tolerance
10-04-2012, 11:17 AM
That makes sense, I'm not starting my single build until I have all the parts I need as well. However, I'm sure USP would have had the knowledge and resources to get all the parts you needed in an acceptable time frame.... but hindsight is 20/20...

100%

s4930
10-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Zero why not single turbo?

Zero Tolerance
10-04-2012, 11:40 AM

I'll definitely consider it if what 034 is working on turns out good.

britishturbo
10-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Just wanted to join in on this thread.
I feel for Zero getting called out like we are all in high school or something. Does this always happen around here?

Geesh I'm glad I didn't post up my build thread until after I fired up the car on my single turbo haha ;-)

Zero if the shop is screwing you around, which it seems they are, it's time to step it up a little.
Call them and let them know it is not acceptable. Give them a deadline to do the work they promised or say you'll pull the car and your parts. You might get progress then. :-)

Worst case they suck and you find someone else to do the work for you.

Monty23
10-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I feel for Zero getting called out like we are all in high school or something. Does this always happen around here?

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, but there are 20x as many people that have no knowledge and lots of strict/ non helpful attitudes/opinions, just ignore the BS and pay attention to who's opinion matters...

And don't let yourself get tempted into internet bickering...

britishturbo
10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, but there are 20x as many people that have no knowledge and lots of strict/ non helpful attitudes/opinions, just ignore the BS and pay attention to who's opinion matters...

And don't let yourself get tempted into internet bickering...

Haha yeah I try not to let people drag me in... I've been around the internet too long, I know how it ends up ;-)

Oh and back at the OP, let us know if you need any help. I want to see every S4 build succeed!

NOTORIOUS VR
10-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Single turbo kits/conversion are all fine and dandy, but on the B5 chassis for the most part make it look like a bomb went off in the engine bay. Unless you're going all out I don't see much of a point to go with a STK over a well developed and sorted twin setup.

034Motorsport
10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I'll read that article but I do also have a new clutch to break in. I'm just listening to what the builder is telling me - who seems to be very experienced in building race cars. Not Audi's - but other makes. I listen to what more knowledgeable people tell me and go from there. But like I said - I'll read the article and take it into consideration.

Everyone has their own break in method, but in the end you really should indeed go with what the engine builder recommends. They are the one who are the hook if something goes wrong, so it is in their best interest to give you the advice that they feel will be most beneficial to you not coming back and costing them money on warranty work.

For race motors, we do what pretty much everyone else does (like phil said); strap it on the dyno, get the rings broken in real quick, and go. The primary thing is setting the rings; once that is done, everything else is relatively minor. 50 miles and things are basically as broken in as they will ever get. I did a stepped break in procedure that involved getting the rings set, and then slowly adding rpm and boost. If you look up Gearhead's procedure, I followed something pretty much the same thing. My motor has 10k on it, running strong, no smoking.

Arguments for both sides, however, most of the cars I've seen that do dyno break in and then full blast are race cars and are getting rebuilt pretty often and also run at a pretty extreme level where looser ring tolerances are good as the heat rises.

Single turbo kits/conversion are all fine and dandy, but on the B5 chassis for the most part make it look like a bomb went off in the engine bay. Unless you're going all out I don't see much of a point to go with a STK over a well developed and sorted twin setup.

I basically agree that a twin turbo can be a better choice for someone, and often I recommend going with a proven eliminator style twin turbo kit over a single turbo. 770R's are expensive, but with supporting mods they've been shown time and time again to produce great useable power; especially on a 3L (Zero!!!). =)

However, the engine bay is up to the end user; most people going with an STK I think are generally looking for performance, rather then stock aesthetics. If someone wants to take the time, they could do it very nicely. I personally think my engine bay looks far cleaner than it did on GT's, but to each his own.

Zero Tolerance
10-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Zero if the shop is screwing you around, which it seems they are, it's time to step it up a little.
Call them and let them know it is not acceptable. Give them a deadline to do the work they promised or say you'll pull the car and your parts. You might get progress then. :-)

Worst case they suck and you find someone else to do the work for you.

Yeah, it can get a little crazy around here. But I guess people were led on about fake builds in the past. That's probably annoying. Unfortunately, I still don't know much about how far they've come. I received pictures today of where they were as of Wednesday - which is kinda nowhere. Maybe between yesterday and today, they got something done. I'm supposed to hear from them "early next week" in regards to progress and build picture. Are they stringing me on? Maybe...

OP, let us know if you need any help. I want to see every S4 build succeed!

Thank you!

Everyone has their own break in method, but in the end you really should indeed go with what the engine builder recommends. They are the one who are the hook if something goes wrong, so it is in their best interest to give you the advice that they feel will be most beneficial to you not coming back and costing them money on warranty work.

For race motors, we do what pretty much everyone else does (like phil said); strap it on the dyno, get the rings broken in real quick, and go. The primary thing is setting the rings; once that is done, everything else is relatively minor. 50 miles and things are basically as broken in as they will ever get. I did a stepped break in procedure that involved getting the rings set, and then slowly adding rpm and boost. If you look up Gearhead's procedure, I followed something pretty much the same thing. My motor has 10k on it, running strong, no smoking.

Arguments for both sides, however, most of the cars I've seen that do dyno break in and then full blast are race cars and are getting rebuilt pretty often and also run at a pretty extreme level where looser ring tolerances are good as the heat rises.

I'll probably just go along with whatever they tell me to do regarding break-in. And regarding that 3.0 liter, I'll definitely go that route if the RS6-Rs don't satisfy me.

Zero Tolerance
10-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Anyway. Here are the pictures that Velocity Factor sent me today. They said these are as of Wednesday. Hopefully Thursday, Friday and Saturday will be productive days... :o

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/601368_291122264322480_1381699818_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/330354_291122297655810_544085863_o.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/241562_291122314322475_1531886744_o.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/56916_291122327655807_2077229657_o.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/53991_291122340989139_641554724_o.jpg

aysix
10-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Nice serial number!

Zero Tolerance
10-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Nice serial number!

Yeah, that's what they were pointing out by sending me the pictures. But, at least I have pictures of my turbos now.

Zero Tolerance
10-05-2012, 01:38 PM
I just sent them a couple of messages stating that I'm unsatisfied with the time their taking. Let's see what they have to say. They say they havs guys working until 11:30pm getting my build together. They close at 6pm. That leaves at least 5 hours for one day. I really need to know what they did during that 5 hours. And Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and today. This is really getting frustrating.

jibberjive
10-05-2012, 05:44 PM
ARDesign suggestedWhat email address/other communication avenue are you using to get a hold of Shawn at ARD? I'm having some trouble getting him to refund a security payment I made for him to send me a set of bipipes to replace a faulty set of bipipes that I bought from him earlier.

And don't send me a PM, my box is full and I don't have time to go through and clear it out. Just post it here, or email me at jibberjive at aol dot com.

lo-lyfe
10-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I just sent them a couple of messages stating that I'm unsatisfied with the time their taking. Let's see what they have to say. They say they havs guys working until 11:30pm getting my build together. They close at 6pm. That leaves at least 5 hours for one day. I really need to know what they did during that 5 hours. And Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and today. This is really getting frustrating.

Man, I've been reading through this post and feel for ya. Its a bit post-fact, and I'm not in your position yet (Stg3 build set for late Spring early Summer), but I've started my homework early. By that I mean I've begun checking out local shops for a potential engine pull/turbo swap. I've given a select few jobs I could have done myself (basic maintenance- mostly seal and gasket replacement) to some shops, got to know the mechanics, and asked questions I already knew answers to to gauge their expertise. Granted, its not a fail-safe method but it did allow me to eventually establish a good relationship with one particular shop that I can now say I would trust with my build.

In any event, I wish you the best. You seem to have a great car in the making and hopefully either this shop (or another) comes through for you.

Jupiteraudi
10-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Hey Jibs,

Here you go. I still haven't received my order from ARD. Below is his contact info.

(586) 634-1200
shawnalhakim@gmail.com

Zero Tolerance
10-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I spoke with Felipe from Velocity Factor and he says we're looking at another 3 weeks to get everything bolted on and ready to go. He mentioned "before Halloween". So that's a step in the right direction. I know there have been a few delays on his end as well as delays on other ends to which he had no control. I suppose these are the delays everyone has been telling me to expect since this project was started six months ago. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks. I'll have build pictures as they move forward.

naudlee
10-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I spoke with Felipe from Velocity Factor and he says we're looking at another 3 weeks to get everything bolted on and ready to go. He mentioned "before Halloween". So that's a step in the right direction. I know there have been a few delays on his end as well as delays on other ends to which he had no control. I suppose these are the delays everyone has been telling me to expect since this project was started six months ago. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks. I'll have build pictures as they move forward.

jesus... sounds like said shop is not very familiar with the 2.7tt NOR do they care about you, their customer, seeing past issues...

its not very difficult of a job as it looks like your engine/heads are all assembled/together.

thats a couple days job if the parts are on hand, max...

DIY my friend... you'd be driving by now

jibberjive
10-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey Jibs,

Thanks[up]

Zero Tolerance
10-06-2012, 04:48 PM
If I could have done it myself, I would have. Seriously. Let me say this, though. Velocity Factor doesn't have much, if any experience with the B5 S4 platform. At least not when it comes to doing stage 3 builds. And I knew this. What they DO have experience in is building race cars. So - I am partially at fault - but I'm sure they can get the job done. Maybe not quickly - and they didn't say they could build the car without looking. This will be their first stage 3 B5 S4 build. Not making excuses for the time it's taking but I don't want to criticize them either. It's not all their fault - there are several factors.

jesus... sounds like said shop is not very familiar with the 2.7tt NOR do they care about you, their customer, seeing past issues...

its not very difficult of a job as it looks like your engine/heads are all assembled/together.

thats a couple days job if the parts are on hand, max...

DIY my friend... you'd be driving by now

Zero Tolerance
10-06-2012, 04:49 PM
On another note, for the record, my turbos are indeed genuine RS6-Rs from the third batch. I spoke with somebody at JHM and they told me something about my turbos being one of the last of the third batch and didn't receive a serial number.

Jupiteraudi
10-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I drove by Velocity Factor's shop today, it's what I expected.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/07/e7yda8yz.jpg

Only joking Zero, I think most are just as anxious as you are to see progress.

Consider posting pics in lieu of another VF explanation as to why they're still talking about your build. Good luck!

The RS6-R's put down some healthy numbers on Friday, 11.xx @ 125ish on pump and stock motor. Real strong!

sparkyvw
10-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Velocity Factor [headbang] [facepalm]

Should of msg me would of been done by now.

AWDLAUNCH
10-07-2012, 09:49 AM
These seems like a mess! If they are taking this long to do a full build, I would hate to see if they have to do any warranty work for free :/ Good luck man.

tico
10-07-2012, 10:43 AM
The RS6-R's put down some healthy numbers on Friday, 11.xx @ 125ish on pump and stock motor. Real strong!

more info

Zero Tolerance
10-07-2012, 10:45 AM
I drove by Velocity Factor's shop today, it's what I expected.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/07/e7yda8yz.jpg

Only joking Zero, I think most are just as anxious as you are to see progress.

Consider posting pics in lieu of another VF explanation as to why they're still talking about your build. Good luck!

Well I can't say that wasn't funny! :p I'll post pictures as soon as they have any for me. I really wish I were close enough to stop in and take a few myself. And those RS6-R numbers good - especially considering it was an avant - 200 pounds heavier than otherwise.

I know. I know...

These seems like a mess! If they are taking this long to do a full build, I would hate to see if they have to do any warranty work for free :/ Good luck man.

Warranty work! Heh! I never even thought about that. That should be an interesting experience.

Zero Tolerance
10-07-2012, 10:56 AM
more info

11.7 @ 125.9 JHM Rs6r avant on pump gas.

tico
10-07-2012, 11:30 AM
11.7 @ 125.9 JHM Rs6r avant on pump gas.

nice! whose avant.

Jupiteraudi
10-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Hunter, I think he is S6atron on here, Stock block and internals

aysix
10-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Hunter, I think he is S6atron on here, Stock block and internals

Thats not a bad run. 11.7 is sweet. No meth either...right? Race gas same driver 11.4-11.5?

Corbett
10-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Thats not a bad run. 11.7 is sweet. No meth either...right? Race gas same driver 11.4-11.5?

No meth. I think he can do better too. He didn't let the car cool down long after a 2 hour drive to get to the track. Plus it's a heavy avant. Stock intenals are pretty maxed out at this point so not much he can do without bending a rod. Awesome times considering all that. It's his daily driver too!

PinoyS4
10-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Thats not a bad run. 11.7 is sweet. No meth either...right? Race gas same driver 11.4-11.5?with a good sixty foot it will be quicker than 11.4-11.5 on race gas..guaranteed!

Zero Tolerance
10-11-2012, 12:59 PM

Well, I just got an update on my build. When I spoke with Felipe last Saturday, I mentioned that I needed him to move a little quicker. Since that point, here's the progress he's made:

- New Auxilary Water Pump Installed
- Installed all Hoses and Cleaned Plumbing
- Valve covers and intake manifold installed
- Timing belt installed and timing was triple checked with special tools specifically for that engine

I'm not sure how long any of that takes - but I'm going to ask him what I owe him at this point - in billable hours...

There's another stall: Turbo Hardware was ordered and should be in shortly. I asked for more information about this hardware. I haven't heard back from them yet.

They say their techs have been staying late to complete the job.

Any thoughts?

Jupiteraudi
10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm sure others will chime in but wouldn't the hardware be something directly correlated to the turbos ie: learning as they go.... Not sure why the missing hardware wasn't noticed until now. Sounds like the usual reaching for excuses in an effort to buy time.

Zero Tolerance
10-11-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm sure others will chime in but wouldn't the hardware be something directly correlated to the turbos ie: learning as they go.... Not sure why the missing hardware wasn't noticed until now. Sounds like the usual reaching for excuses in an effort to buy time.

I have the same questions. I hope this hardware doesn't take long to get to Velocity Factor and I hope they can't figure out whether they'll need to obtain additional missing hardware to move forward. Or - they could simply be buying time.

s4930
10-11-2012, 05:28 PM
shouldnt all the turbo hardware come with the kit or components associated with the kit? and as far as whats been done i mean, with the engine pulled and sitting there it shouldnt take one person more than 3-4 hours to complete those task? let alone with the help of someone else..

Zero Tolerance
10-11-2012, 09:31 PM
shouldnt all the turbo hardware come with the kit or components associated with the kit? and as far as whats been done i mean, with the engine pulled and sitting there it shouldnt take one person more than 3-4 hours to complete those task? let alone with the help of someone else..

I agree 100%. They haven't told me what parts they're waiting for, how much they cost, when they're supposed to arrive and what I owe them for labor on the work they've done this week.

sparkyvw
10-12-2012, 12:56 AM
They say their techs have been staying late to complete the job.

Any thoughts?

Staying late? are they kidding. Should of wayyyyy been done by now. Id really find out how much you owe them as you could be in for a shock. That stuff you just listed at the most the most 2 hours in a shop were they are meant to work non stop.

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Staying late? are they kidding. Should of wayyyyy been done by now. Id really find out how much you owe them as you could be in for a shock. That stuff you just listed at the most the most 2 hours in a shop were they are meant to work non stop.

I'm asking for the itemized list of labor for two reasons: 1) So they can't charge me a ridiculous amount of money. 2) So they can't make up a crazy amount of time for each installation.

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Okay, they got back to me stating they needed the gasket and the bolts that go from the turbo to the manifold - which "should" arrive today. They also mentioned being at the shop until 1am this morning working on the car. I asked what they did last night and am waiting to hear back.

Jupiteraudi
10-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Are all of these conversations taking place via email? If so, it's time to pick up the damn phone! You shouldn't need to wait for such answers. If you have time to send an email then you should have time to call. If he can't answer you immediately then...

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Are all of these conversations taking place via email? If so, it's time to pick up the damn phone! You shouldn't need to wait for such answers. If you have time to send an email then you should have time to call. If he can't answer you immediately then...

I call every so often. I spoke with Felipe last Saturday. Here's what they did last night:

Main water crossover pipe (Which was as corroded and rusted. They sanded it down and painted it.)
Belt Tensioner
Power Steering Pump
Coils and Spark Plugs
Cam Covers
Intake and Exhaust manifold

They're waiting for other parts from Audi as well - which will be in early next week.

sparkyvw
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
they worked from what time till 1am on your car? I think its time you go down there.

They ordered parts from audi? oh gezzz

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
they worked from what time till 1am on your car? I think its time you go down there.

They ordered parts from audi? oh gezzz

I get the impression they're working on the car after hours. I'm not sure this is the case but I really believe it is. I don't know why they'd do this. Maybe they took on more work than they should have. I really don't know. Maybe they want to focus on the car without any distractions since it's not something they normally do. Then again, I don't know how focused they can be at 1am after a full day's work.

Maybe they'll meet that "before Halloween" deadline... If they do, then I'm not concerned with HOW they do it. At this point, I just want the car back. It's too far away from me right now.

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
They sent me a few more pictures...
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/52513_293173937450646_2114487401_o.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/621707_293173900783983_1017200336_o.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/620706_293173887450651_1878219422_o.jpg

aysix
10-12-2012, 01:56 PM
I wonder how much that bill is going to be...........

lo-lyfe
10-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Looking at the pics u posted on the 5th and comparing them to those above....then asking myself, "This is the extent of what they've been able to accomplish in a span of a week???"

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I wonder how much that bill is going to be...........

Probably somewhere in the vicinity of 8 million dollars.

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Looking at the pics u posted on the 5th and comparing them to those above....then asking myself, "This is the extent of what they've been able to accomplish in a span of a week???"

By God, I think you're right. Where's that Super Troopers "Mother of God" image when you need it? :p

Monty23
10-12-2012, 02:42 PM
No 2.0 FSI coil upgrade?

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
No 2.0 FSI coil upgrade?

What's that about?

philthyphil
10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
What's that about?

Gets rid of the problematic coilpacks and ICMs that come on our engines.

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Gets rid of the problematic coilpacks and ICMs that come on our engines.

Thanks. Well I guess that'll be part of phase 2 with the upper engine stuff then.

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 04:53 PM
In other fantastical news - I received my VAG connector cable today.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/185069_293214747446565_15506820_n.jpg

s4930
10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
I have a brand new set of fsi coil conversion that I bought from 034 that im thinking of selling :) its red coils with raw adapters

s4930
10-12-2012, 06:18 PM
I'll install them for you too so you don't have to wait a month and get charged 1 million

Zero Tolerance
10-12-2012, 09:40 PM
I'll install them for you too so you don't have to wait a month and get charged 1 million

Oh yeah? I take good care of people who take care of me. Too bad some people don't realize that.

s4930
10-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Oh yeah? I take good care of people who take care of me. Too bad some people don't realize that.

Well I really don't expect anything lol I'll enjoy doing the install,maybe a beer or a couple lol. It will probably take around 30-45 mins. But let me know I've been contemplating putting them on but I might wait until I get my single turbo. Spark plugs will also be nice to do especially having them gapped to .044 but I'm not sure of any real gains by doing that.

Zero Tolerance
10-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Well I really don't expect anything lol I'll enjoy doing the install,maybe a beer or a couple lol. It will probably take around 30-45 mins. But let me know I've been contemplating putting them on but I might wait until I get my single turbo. Spark plugs will also be nice to do especially having them gapped to .044 but I'm not sure of any real gains by doing that.

What does it take to do an installation? I'll probably take what you've got...

In other news, Velocity Factor sent me a picture this morning. At least the car isn't under cover anymore and something is being done. I'm pretty sure the engine will be in the car this week. I guess that just leaves the exhaust and methanol injection to be installed.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/30368_294295424005164_1549374085_n.jpg

s4930
10-16-2012, 04:15 PM
you remove inlet pipes, remove stock coils, place adapters, insert new coils, replace inlets, plug the harness

Zero Tolerance
10-17-2012, 11:58 AM
you remove inlet pipes, remove stock coils, place adapters, insert new coils, replace inlets, plug the harness

Okay. Doesn't sound too outrageous...

In other news, Velocity Factor wrote me last night stating the following are their goals for this week:

Turbos will be clocked and installed according to specifications
Clean engine bay before installing engine
Install flywheel and clutch and then connect to the transmission
Install Intercoolers

So that sounds pretty good to me. If they can get these things done this week, I'd be happy.

Zero Tolerance
10-18-2012, 09:31 AM
A few more pictures... They mentioned in an email this morning they just need to get the clutch on and expect the engine to go back in today.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/620616_294850403949666_728999319_o.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/175236_294850370616336_1188665607_o.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/334778_294850323949674_1375391323_o.jpg

s4930
10-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Since we are close a race would be an interesting comparison. Your running on stock internals right?

Monty23
10-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Since we are close a race would be an interesting comparison. Your running on stock internals right?

Page 1 says IE rods....

Zero Tolerance
10-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Here's what I had done to the engine:

ROD SET, IE V6 154 --- 154MM X 21MM FORGED CONNECTING RODS, AUDI V6
ROD BEARING SET --- AUDI V6 ROD BEARING SET, COATED
MAIN BEARING SET --- COATED MAIN BEARING SET, GLYCO, AUDI V6
HEAD STUDS, 2.7T --- HEAD STUD KIT, AUDI 2.7T RWE-1051
HEAD GASKET KIT --- CYLINDER HEAD GASKET SET, 2.7T, Q2 REQUIRED - *** INCLUDES MLS HEAD GASKETS ***
PISTON SET, JE V6 --- JE FORGED PISTON SET, 2.7T - 82.0MM BORE / - 86.4MM STROKE / - 9.0:1 COMPRESSION RATIO - TOOL-STEEL WRIST PINS
PISTON COATING --- JE THERMAL BARRIER CROWN COATING, JE TUFF SKIRT COATING

s4930
10-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Well you would be alot faster but I'm still down to have a comparative run. I'm going to be running a stk from 034 but on stock internals.

Zero Tolerance
10-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Well you would be alot faster but I'm still down to have a comparative run. I'm going to be running a stk from 034 but on stock internals.

Sure, why not do some runs? It'll be interesting to see how the builds compare...

A couple more pictures. Felipe at Velocity Factor mentioned something about plastic that should have been metal (clutch parts or bolts) and we're getting that overnighted to us tomorrow. There's also a hose that we need to get from Germany (part number 078133784AJ) and that may take a couple of days. Beyond that, they're getting me a new starter and alternator. Felipe says he's still able to keep the deadline of before Halloween...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/75732_294905163944190_817819002_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/3022_294905180610855_1444951820_n.jpg

Jupiteraudi
10-18-2012, 01:40 PM

I'll run with you. 770's, stock internals (for now) with proper supporting mods, very mild @ 480hp/510tq. I might do a track event at Homestead on the 27th. If you want to ride along you can.

s4930
10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
I'll run with you. 770's, stock internals (for now) with proper supporting mods, very mild @ 480hp/510tq. I might do a track event at Homestead on the 27th. If you want to ride along you can.

Hell yea I would love to do both! I was in between the stk or 770's. I'm getting a 6262 with all supporting mods I hope to make around your power level it would be sick to see the difference. And 27 of this month?

Zero Tolerance
10-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Is there a decent south Florida Audi club? It seems we have at least a few people to get one started if not.

s4930
10-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Is there a decent south Florida Audi club? It seems we have at least a few people to get one started if not.

I'm not sure I've tried to attend their meets but I'm always busy :( there is a local meet in coral springs on Thursday nights but I wanna roll in with a crew of s4's :)

Zero Tolerance
10-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Maybe we need an S4 club. Local...

Jupiteraudi
10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Hell yea I would love to do both! I was in between the stk or 770's. I'm getting a 6262 with all supporting mods I hope to make around your power level it would be sick to see the difference. And 27 of this month?

Yes, October 27th. I'll be there all day 8am-4pm.

Zero, there are several Audi meets held between Miami and WPB, keep an eye on the regional thread for upcoming meets.

Jupiteraudi
10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463992

and this

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509059

Zero Tolerance
10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Cool. Well maybe we'll get something going with a few people from those discussions.

Jupiteraudi
10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure I've tried to attend their meets but I'm always busy :( there is a local meet in coral springs on Thursday nights but I wanna roll in with a crew of s4's :)

Is this the Towers meet? I've never been but would if you wanted roll in with a crew of two!

Zero Tolerance
10-19-2012, 04:53 PM
I'll swing down one Thursday night. I've been to the Tower Shoppes meets before. Well, once or twice. It ends at like 10pm but there's other stuff that goes on afterwards.

Zero Tolerance
10-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I keep getting email updates stating that there have been replies to this topic but when I get here, they're gone. What is going on? Some kind of crazy politics? For example:

He was told before he dropped the car off, but he did it anyway.

Where is that message? Where are the others? Anyone subscribed here is getting these emails as well. It's a little odd.

Jupiteraudi
10-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Your settings dictate if you want e-mail notification and frequency such as instant, daily, weekly, etc. Have you signed up for AZ's hidden message option? It's new...

Kidding about the hidden option, I have no idea why? Possible edit/removal of a post.

Zero Tolerance
10-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Lots of post removals. I really wonder why. One seems to be related to the shop I brought my car to. Interesting.

TLO03
10-21-2012, 09:39 AM

i tried to quote this but i effed it up so I deleted.

Lots of post removals. I really wonder why. One seems to be related to the shop I brought my car to. Interesting.

Zero Tolerance
10-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Ahhh. Okay.

Zero Tolerance
10-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Just another quick image..

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/22/yma7a4e5.jpg

aysix
10-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Just another quick image..

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/22/yma7a4e5.jpg

Wrap those inlets.

Zero Tolerance
10-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Wrap those inlets.

Explain, please...

aysix
10-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Explain, please...

Exhaust/header wrap on those inlets will insulate them. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/308-157?utm_source=none&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&gclid=CKLh37HLk7MCFUid4Aodnm4Aag

I'd send you a pic of mine if i wasn't lazy. Can also do the downpipes.

I wrapped my inlets with DEI Tan wrap and downpipes with DEI Titanium wrap, prob should have done both titanium wrap, it is pretty cool stuff. Those headers get really hot.

Edit: Stole this pic from Raacerx(max@034), hope he doesn't mind.

http://fototime.com/%7BA848BFF3-9FC5-4516-B5F0-4CE185D7E29E%7D/origpict/SAM_0203A.jpg.

Thats titanium header wrap. With a 50'x2" roll you can get away by doing the downpipes and inlets.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010127/

Zero Tolerance
10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Thank you. Is there any potential of a fire hazard?

A couple more pictures...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/23/agape3u3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/23/yja3utav.jpg

aysix
10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Idk? Lol i dont think its a big deal. These are ment for high heat.

NOTORIOUS VR
10-22-2012, 12:23 PM
instead of spending big $$ on DEI stuff, buy from these guys... ptpturboblankets.com

US made and great quality stuff... actually many people have switched from DEI products to PTP... plus they're more then half the cost of DEI

Zero Tolerance
10-22-2012, 03:47 PM
I think there may be an issue if oil leaks onto any of the tape. I don't know. I may hold off on this for the time being.

s4930
10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
i wouldnt wrap in florida because of the high humidity. Ive been told by multiple people that wrapping in areas with high humidity can cause the pipe to crack or just go bad. honestly best thing is ceramic coating them.

Zero Tolerance
10-24-2012, 09:19 AM
i wouldnt wrap in florida because of the high humidity. Ive been told by multiple people that wrapping in areas with high humidity can cause the pipe to crack or just go bad. honestly best thing is ceramic coating them.

Ceramic coating sounds good. I'll add that to my to-do list.

Here are a couple of pictures from last night. The engine is in.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/665028_296435473791159_1173909668_o.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/56767_296682427099797_578426158_o.jpg

Monty23
10-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Are you getting excited?

aysix
10-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm probably more excited to see this thing run and drive.

Trying to beat you here, i'm just about as far as you! The suspense is killing me and it needs to be done this weekend!

Zero Tolerance
10-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Eh, I'm not excited yet. It's taken so long to get to this point that I'm like - I'll be excited when I'm on my way to pick up the car.

Velocity Factor is working on putting the car back together. Once they're finished, they'll be heat cycling the engine. They're ordering new O2 sensors and coolant reservoir bottles as the others are warn out and yellow. They're also still waiting for that vent hose from Germany to arrive. While they're waiting for that, they'll be welding the downpipes and installing the exhaust.

I'll see what they think about getting the methanol injection system ready as well.

Zero Tolerance
10-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Well, all that's left for next week are the welding of the downpipes, installation of the exhaust and vent hose. I THINK they're installing the methanol injection this week - though I won't be using any actual methanol until after break-in. The lines will be there, though... They've updating me on progress every day and are on schedule for me to have this car before Halloween.

Jupiteraudi
10-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Looking good, nice to see they are making progress.

I'm curious about why they had to order a part from German, shouldn't really matter unless it holds them up.

AudiA4_20T
10-26-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm curious about why they had to order a part from German, shouldn't really matter unless it holds them up.

Agreed, sounds like BS to buy them time but at least they're moving on it.

Zero Tolerance
10-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Well, Felipe told me he couldn't find the hose locally, so. It's supposed to be there on Monday. If that's the case, no big deal. Hopefully there are no unexpected delays with that. Otherwise, they're making nice progress. It took a long time to get to this point - but they're moving along very nicely now.

s4930
10-26-2012, 09:21 AM
how are you going about for tuning? i read on your first post that it will be through jhm but are you logging back and forth? or is felipe dealing with them to get it done?

Zero Tolerance
10-26-2012, 09:41 AM
how are you going about for tuning? i read on your first post that it will be through jhm but are you logging back and forth? or is felipe dealing with them to get it done?

I wrote JHM last night letting them know we're very close to that point - so let's see what they say. I don't think I'll have a problem handling sending them information and downloading/installing the tunes via VAG cable on my own. Initially, however, Felipe will be taking care of this to get the car rolling.

Zero Tolerance
10-26-2012, 10:01 AM
One more photo from last night...
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/665281_297258577042182_769813701_o.jpg

lo-lyfe
10-26-2012, 10:39 AM
I'd be interested to see what they did with the A/C canister. I had to move it farther back in order to create some clearance for the passanger side SMIC. I also did a lot more cutting to the radiator carriage in order to expose the intercooler to as much air flow as possible.

FlaS4
10-27-2012, 05:48 PM

Come to Fixxfest with this thing if it's done and join our cruise from Broward to therehttp://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/507501-South-East-Cruise-to-FixxFest9!. I've learned when working on cars that you should follow the rule of pi. Take whatever time you think it's going to take and multiply it by pi.

ARD does suck. I bought 750cc "single tip" injectors from Shawn and 2 of them were stuck open and causing a misfire. Had to have them re-machined and wiring redone.

Also is this thing going to run on straight methanol or just methanol injection through the bipipes on pump gas? Title is misleading.

gottaBdope
10-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Just a quick thought on wrapping: High humidity areas can be bad, but DEI (and probably PTP) also makes a seal that you spray over the wrap after it dries. The main focus is preparation. If your pipes are not cracking or have any rust or anything and you clean them EXTREMELY well, then wrapping them isn't a problem.

I ceramic coated my exhaust manifold on my bike for protection, then wrapped them to help with the exhaust gasses. Coating and wrapping can provide amazing benefits and if you prep and protect properly, then the downsides are extremely minimal.

I'm glad to see some support on the zine for wrapping, it commonly gets over looked.

All that said, your build is coming along great. Looks real clean and I'm sure everyone on here is probably just as excited to see it running as you are. Sub'd for completion pics man.

Zero Tolerance
10-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm planing pump gas and 50/50 methanol/water. If the title is misleading, have a moderator adjust it.

s4930
10-28-2012, 10:19 PM
your car should be ready this week im pumped for results/outcome

Zero Tolerance
10-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Quick update as to what was accomplished this weekend. The engine was heatcycled and the car runs perfect. A remanufactured gauge cluster and new JHM short shifter was installed. A brake flush was done. And the downpipes were welded on.

The HID headlights I purchased were missing some parts (that I needed to order but didn't realize) so I'm having a new set of Europe spec halogens delivered tomorrow morning by 10:30am. After that the front bumper and foglights will be re-installed.

Anyway, here's another angle...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/54633_298991816868858_822797744_o.jpg

s4930
10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Wernt you using 034 intake? Also icm delete is a must!

Zero Tolerance
10-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Wernt you using 034 intake? Also icm delete is a must!

Yeah. Let me ask about that. ICM?

lo-lyfe
10-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Car looks great! Must be a relief to see it near completion.

ICM=ignitition control module. Our cars have two, and they are known to fail. My car was throwing random misfire codes and running in limp mode a while back. Thought it may have been the coils but it ended up being the ICM, and a replacement unit runs around $180. 034's delete kit (without the coils and brackets) is $325. I am definitely adding that to my Stg3 build.

Zero Tolerance
10-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Thank you! Is this what I need?

http://www.034motorsport.com/ignition-solutions-coil-conversion-icm-delete-kit-27t-to-20t-fsi-coils-p-22156.html

Do I need to select any of the drop down options? How big of an install is this?

Thanks again!

aysix
10-30-2012, 02:08 PM
^Both dropdowns.

Zero Tolerance
10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
So I'm looking at $565 plus overnight shipping. Sound about right?

aysix
10-30-2012, 02:13 PM
So I'm looking at $565 plus overnight shipping. Sound about right?

Pretty much

Zero Tolerance
10-30-2012, 02:17 PM
300 hours labor?

lo-lyfe
10-30-2012, 02:20 PM
There's a thread here where the OP purchased the kit and had an issue getting the coil packs to "sit" correctly. In other words, it takes a bit of force to get the proper "flush" fitment as the coils tend to stick out too far when initially matched to the spark plug well/combustion chamber. Otherwise its a fairly easy install, from what I understand. If you've changed spark plugs you shouldn't have any problems performing the work yourself; a shop even more so...

aysix
10-30-2012, 02:33 PM
300 hours labor?

1 hour

Zero Tolerance
10-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Thank you. Velocity Factor will have everything tomorrow morning or the next.

Zero Tolerance
10-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I contacted Velocity Factor and they told me they were waiting on installing the 034 Cold Air Intake until after the final tune was done. THEY really want me to go with a tune that'll automatically keep me out of boost - and I like that idea - but the tuner doesn't seem to think there will be a problem with the tune that's already loaded on the ECU (19 pounds of boost) - whatever it is. So I'm not sure what's going on with that at the moment. I'm waiting for the tuner to get back in touch with me with a few questions I had this morning.

In other news, the downpipes were metallic wrapped.

s4930
10-31-2012, 05:24 AM
Icm delete and coil conversion should not take anymore than an hour. I can do it for you for free if you'd like so you don't get charged rediculous amounts of labor. Changing spark plugs would be ideal as well and running a larger gap as some claim improved performance.

Zero Tolerance
10-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Icm delete and coil conversion should not take anymore than an hour. I can do it for you for free if you'd like so you don't get charged rediculous amounts of labor. Changing spark plugs would be ideal as well and running a larger gap as some claim improved performance.

Thank you. Well let's see what they say. If its an hour worth of time than I'm not worried. As for spark plugs, I got these from JHM:

6 x Spark Plug -Bosch Platinum Sidefire (Heat Range 5)

lo-lyfe
10-31-2012, 09:22 AM
I gap my NGK bkr7e plugs to 0.027-0.028. Upgrading to the ICM delete kit would require a gap of 0.040-0.042, if I'm not mistaken.

Zero Tolerance
10-31-2012, 09:24 AM
I gap my NGK bkr7e plugs to 0.027-0.028. Upgrading to the ICM delete kit would require a gap of 0.040-0.042, if I'm not mistaken.

Okay, well if this new kit requires a different gap, I really need to know. Is there any definite way to find out?

lo-lyfe
10-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Okay, well if this new kit requires a different gap, I really need to know. Is there any definite way to find out?

There's a thread on here that specifies the gap for the ICM delete kit, just can't remember the title of it.... Pretty sure its 0.040....but you can always PM Max to verify.

Zero Tolerance
10-31-2012, 09:43 AM
There's a thread on here that specifies the gap for the ICM delete kit, just can't remember the title of it.... Pretty sure its 0.040....but you can always PM Max to verify.

Thank you. I actually just sent an email to 034 before I read your last reply. Let's see what they say.

lo-lyfe
10-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Ok, found it...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/491083-034-ICM-Delete

Zero Tolerance
10-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Ok, found it...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/491083-034-ICM-Delete

Thank you! I'll read that now. And I just wanted to mention that 034 has been very helpful with getting me what I need - quickly - for this build.

Zero Tolerance
10-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Thank you! I'll read that now. And I just wanted to mention that 034 has been very helpful with getting me what I need - quickly - for this build.

Seems like .040 is correct but I wonder if that changes depending on what your modifications are.

034Motorsport
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Seems like .040 is correct but I wonder if that changes depending on what your modifications are.

We never did any testing with larger then normal spark gap. Other people claimed there were gains, but we did all of our testing with Bosch Sidefire and stock gap plugs.

What actual gap you run really depends on various factors, such as the max boost pressure you will make, octane, etc. There's no way I could run a .040 gap on my car, it would get blown out. I run a very tight gap.

I would start with a less aggressive gap and if you want to stretch it out, slowly increase it and monitor things.

Zero Tolerance
10-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Cool. Thank you. I guess it's all about running logs and testing things out.

034Motorsport
10-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Cool. Thank you. I guess it's all about running logs and testing things out.

Yeah, I definitely would caution against starting with .040 gap. Work up to it.

Zero Tolerance
11-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Finally... Break-in begins on Saturday...

Jupiteraudi
11-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Nice!

philthyphil
11-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Finally... Break-in begins on Saturday...

Congrats!

Monty23
11-02-2012, 09:36 AM
They going to send you a video?

Zero Tolerance
11-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Video? I don't think so. Why? It's not being dyno'd yet or anything.

As for the intake, this is what they said, "I know you insist on using the intake but it has a very large MAF housing and that will not make the car run right without a custom tune. I cleaned the K&N filter well and the factory box is installed for now. Once engine is broken in we can worry about large maf intake large injectors, What fuel pump you are going to run, meth, etc."

Strange, I thought I already purchased a fuel pump and injectors. I'll find out what's going on there tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm only driving it home for break-in tomorrow and I suppose for a few days afterwards. I don't mind worrying about the other stuff until later.

aysix
11-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Didnt you say they were working with a tuner or something?

Zero Tolerance
11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Didnt you say they were working with a tuner or something?

Yeah, but there's not going to be any tuning until the engine and clutch are broken in. As it stands, whatever tune is on there now (19lbs of boost) is staying.

philthyphil
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
The tune is written for the maf, injectors and fuel pump you told jfonz you were going to be running. Not having the correct things installed could cause massive damage to the engine. Especially if the tune is written for larger injectors.

Your shop sounds ridiculous.

aysix
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Something weird sounds like is going on. If you are supposed to be running at 19 psi you would lean out...if the tune is for larger injectors then the car will barely run. We must be missing a peice of the puzzle here.

Zero Tolerance
11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
J-Fonz isn't doing the tune anymore. I went with JHM since the turbos are theres and will be using J-Fonz on a friend's future build.

What I do know is that there's a tune - not sure what it is - currently on the car (when I bought it). It boosts up to 19lbs. Velocity Factor wants to do a custom tune to avoid boost but the guy I'm speaking with at JHM says it'll run fine to get the car home. I'll get in touch with them again and see what they say.

philthyphil
11-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Sounds to me like they are either lazy and don't want to finish doing the install of those components or they really have no clue.

Jupiteraudi
11-02-2012, 02:22 PM
If you get it running and are able to drive it home, then do it. You and I have discussed this. The most critical aspect of this build is now and as the others have mentioned, injector size, fueling, maf and of course the tune itself is key! I think we're all aware VF is not the best, this is the time to go elsewhere. J Spec is likely your best bet with JHM doing the tuning.

Zero, you said JSpec was close to you? Are you in PBC? I was thinking you were much further south... I might head out to the track tonight, FYI.

Zero Tolerance
11-02-2012, 04:20 PM
False alarm on picking up the car tomorrow. Probably next Saturday. They need to sync up with JHM to get a tune for the car as it is. There's some unknown tune on it now and nobody wants to take a chance at getting stuff messed up. Also it appears I don't have the fuel pump, bi-bipes or silicone throttle body that I ordered. So there's a few I's to be dotted and T's to be crossed.

MLJS4
11-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Nice build man , can't wait to see some videos

viceprp
11-05-2012, 03:10 AM
Stay on top of the parts they didn't order yet. You don't want that to be lost and be told it went towards a labor bill or something. I've been screwed by a few shops that did this to me.

Zero Tolerance
11-05-2012, 08:04 AM
The fuel pump, bi-pipes and throttle body should be there somewhere. They were shipped. Maybe they were lost in the mail. The vendor I purchased these things from said he shipped these things himself.

s4930
11-05-2012, 09:15 AM
the bipipes look aftermarket i cant really tell though

Zero Tolerance
11-05-2012, 09:22 AM
the bipipes look aftermarket i cant really tell though

I believe they're from APR. Came with the car when I bought it.

Zero Tolerance
11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Okay, I pick up the car on Thursday. I'll probably be driving the car for 1000-1500 miles for a complete break-in and then will get everything else in place shortly afterwards.

naudlee
11-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Okay, I pick up the car on Thursday. I'll probably be driving the car for 1000-1500 miles for a complete break-in and then will get everything else in place shortly afterwards.

that shop needs help...

-ASK them for a quote on the 2.0T conversion AHEAD Of time... lol, sounds like some monkeys will be spending 4 hours electrical taping your twisted wires together & guess what: you get to pay for it.
*I dont know any shop that would touch the 2.0t conversion for ~1hrs worth of pay... DIY and learn, so when the S4 breaks on you (its going to), you dont have to add another trench to the wallet.

-you blew it by not sticking w/ Jfonz... unlimited revisions (oh shit, I want a race gas tune, nah how about an e85, shit I wanna turn down the boost... OK!) and his proof is in the pudding (he's great)
-JHM you get a custom tune then you pay out the ass anytime you want something changed/what have you... good luck!

-IMHO: you want a good 1k-1500 miles of all kinds of driving. Mainly City, lots of stop & go, lots of varying throttle & high vacuum decels, stay out of boost, stay off the HWY for a bit & no cruise control... unless you want to head to hot spot city.

s4930
11-05-2012, 05:10 PM
that shop needs help...

-ASK them for a quote on the 2.0T conversion AHEAD Of time... lol, sounds like some monkeys will be spending 4 hours electrical taping your twisted wires together & guess what: you get to pay for it.
*I dont know any shop that would touch the 2.0t conversion for ~1hrs worth of pay... DIY and learn, so when the S4 breaks on you (its going to), you dont have to add another trench to the wallet.

-you blew it by not sticking w/ Jfonz... unlimited revisions (oh shit, I want a race gas tune, nah how about an e85, shit I wanna turn down the boost... OK!) and his proof is in the pudding (he's great)
-JHM you get a custom tune then you pay out the ass anytime you want something changed/what have you... good luck!

-IMHO: you want a good 1k-1500 miles of all kinds of driving. Mainly City, lots of stop & go, lots of varying throttle & high vacuum decels, stay out of boost, stay off the HWY for a bit & no cruise control... unless you want to head to hot spot city.

i couldnt agree more but then at the same time some people simply dont have time to do work on their cars or rather not deal with the bullshit and have the money to pay a shop which is completely fine its all personal preference. I got fed up with shit like whats happening to you now and velocity factor basically motivated to get it done myself and i love it now especially with a platform like the b5. i might not know everything about the car like some guys here but i know enough to get around and its so helpful. my car has taken shits on me and they would have been very expensive ones if i didnt know what was wrong. there are a very few group of shops that i feel are completely honest when diagnosing a car or doing any sort of work.

Zero Tolerance
11-06-2012, 04:40 PM
The car drives pretty damn nice. Much easier to shift as well. I take it home tomorrow unless any leaks pop up after driving it around this evening. Velocity Factor wasn't "fast" but they did quality work. Break-in begins...

s4930
11-06-2012, 05:35 PM
nice! post some videos up or take me for a ride since im local :)

Zero Tolerance
11-06-2012, 05:54 PM
nice! post some videos up or take me for a ride since im local :)

Where are you low kated :p again? You can drive it once its broken in.

s4930
11-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Where are you low kated :p again? You can drive it once its broken in.

i live in parkland!

Zero Tolerance
11-07-2012, 05:33 PM
i live in parkland!

Not that far away. The car is a little further north now...

So I have the car home. I'm supposed to keep out of boost and no more than 4000 RPM. I'm paranoid that I'm going to do a 3-4 shift and end up in second on accident as I'm still getting used to the new clutch. Would that be a disaster? I think if I stop thinking about it, I'll be better off.

Monty23
11-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I wish I lived closer, I would drive it for you [:D]

s4930
11-08-2012, 03:09 PM
hey zero are you interested in road course events at all or just 1/4 mile?

Zero Tolerance
11-09-2012, 12:16 PM
hey zero are you interested in road course events at all or just 1/4 mile?

Not sure. I'd like to try it out some time...

aysix
11-09-2012, 12:32 PM
So where did you locate the bigger compressor?

Zero Tolerance
11-09-2012, 06:49 PM
So where did you locate the bigger compressor?

I don't know.