PDA

View Full Version : power steering on brake fluid reservoir and drove for long time! Funny story!

Audixx4
08-28-2012, 12:21 PM
OK i just got to the point that i found out what the hell happened to all my brake system[headbang][headbang][headbang]. my nephew accidentally took the power steering instead of brake fluid poured it into the brake fluid reservoir and i drove the car for a long time until one day my passenger side caliper and rear driver side caliper got stuck into my rotors! i tough it was normal master cylinder failure. i decided to do my brakes upgrade with something a little better than stock bought new master cylinder and ordered Adams rotors and hawk hps pads. when parts arrived my dad and nephew decided to start working on the car, they got to the point to bleed the system and my dad asked him to bring the brake fluid and guess what,yeap he brought the power steering but no they didn't poured it in that day.Before all that when i removed my master cylinder i notice that the fluid was kinda different, i thought it was dirty and didn't pay too much attention to it. then later working he funny asked " GRANDPA WHY ARE WE USING THAT BOTTLE INSTEAD OF THE FUNNY GRAY ONE!

Moral of the story. Love your nephew but don't let him f*** your car.
Now back to serious what would you recommend me to do, we bled the system put everything back together and gave it a try i have drove the car for about 150 mile now and i feel the brake pedal mushy/spongy and brake performance has decreased. any suggestions are welcome. Should i replace all of my calipers and lines, what about the clutch and the abs system.

I know I'm a dumb ass for letting my nephew to do it himself but this is about the car not to insult or criticized if so keep it to yourself!
Please help seniors!

BOPOH
08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I'd say bleed, test drive and bleed again. If it feels normal you should be good but be careful. To be on a safe side i would bleed it again maybe a month later. If it's manual make sure you bleed clutch too, since it's uses the same fluid.

BOPOH
08-28-2012, 01:29 PM
funny thing, i used to put brake fluid in my steering. essentially it is the same syntetic fluid just different boiling points

Audixx4
08-28-2012, 02:22 PM
thanks for the replies, I've heard that people say that something like this would harm my brake system really bad, how bad would this turn to be, i know that the best way and to be sure would be replace all of my components but with a 4 month old baby money starts to come a little short and job too because no overtime.

thanks for all of your help![az]

Audixx4
10-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Bump

Delia Emma
10-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Tablet,Launch car diagnostic,ect.I think you might enjoy it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
tablette pas cher (http://www.reliablefr.com)|Launch X431 (http://www.reliablefr.com/Supply-launch_c31)|Produit de Voiture (http://www.reliablefr.com/Supply-produits-de-voiture-professionnel_c33)

nynoah
10-16-2012, 06:53 AM
at a bare min, I would replace the mastercylinder as a precaution.

Audixx4
10-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Already did replace all calipers, master cylinder, brake lines and fluid even tried new wearever set of pads from advance autoparts but didnt work either. The problem is that my car now wont hold ebrake on hills, in other words if i leave it in neutral up on a hill and pull my e-brake after 15 minutes or so when my brakes cool down my car starts to back up suddently. I think that when the brakes cool down they lose some preasure or girp! Am i right? I have bleed it several times and still the same spongy!

ricekikr
10-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Already did replace all calipers, master cylinder, brake lines and fluid even tried new wearever set of pads from advance autoparts but didnt work either. The problem is that my car now wont hold ebrake on hills, in other words if i leave it in neutral up on a hill and pull my e-brake after 15 minutes or so when my brakes cool down my car starts to back up suddently. I think that when the brakes cool down they lose some preasure or girp! Am i right? I have bleed it several times and still the same spongy!

Did you bed-in brakes?

When I 1st installed HPS+rotors, handbrake was barely there (even after bed-in). After a few hundred miles, it was back to normal.

Like yours, it would work after driving, but once brakes cooled down it almost had no grip. Just drive it, it'd get better

Also got the spongy feeling. It doesn't grip instantly (specially when cold) like stock pads. Theory is more pedal pressure is needed = spongy feeling

Audixx4
10-22-2012, 01:20 AM
I did bed the brakes as instructed from hawk, the car has 600 miles already and still noting! Maybe it needs More time, does the brake sponginess gets to normal after couple thousand miles when everything is settlevor i gota get use to it and live with it!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Seerlah
10-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Brake sponginess happens when you did not bleed properly. It will never fix itself. As much as you may not want to hear it, you need to bleed your system more. When I replaced my brake lines, I had to bleed it over and over till I finally got it right (maybe got it on the 4th try). Longer the line, longer that one should be bled. What method are you using to bleed the brakes? And don't forget to bleed the clutch slave.

Audixx4
10-22-2012, 04:11 AM
No problem seerla im open to all Advises and suggestions,i used the old school method. well i didnt do the abs module bleed/cycle with vag.com because i tought that after a couple of bleeding and traped air should come out! Am i right? Or should i still do it?

Audixx4
10-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Do you think this mightbe the problem? How much would cost to do the abs bleed/cycle and how its done?