PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Down Stock Calipers?

derek2079
05-27-2005, 02:01 AM
has anyone done this?

stock calipers have a rough finish to them i would like to be able to sand them down and paint them to give them a nice smooth finish, how would you go about doing this?

HotSauce
05-27-2005, 04:31 AM
They're pretty tough if I remember right...To be honest, I doubt it would work out well, but my guess is a dremel or something would have the only combination of agility to get all the spots, and power to get through the metal.

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you had a spare caliper to mess with.

Poopie
05-27-2005, 05:32 AM
Yeah those calipers are tough to smooth out. I'm gonna repaint mine sometime in the summer.

RippleChip
05-27-2005, 05:33 AM
No point really sanding them. Take some sandpaper to clean the rust off, then hit them with a caliper paint. It smooths them right out and looks really good. Mine have been done for over a year, really happy with them.

DDQ
05-27-2005, 06:07 AM
What works great is if you get one of those wire cup brush attachments for a drill or a dremel. Then spray some brake cleaner on there, let it soak, and then brush away. If you don't clean them real good the paint will start to chip off after awhile.

bitterchild
05-27-2005, 10:25 AM
caliper paint is made to be quite thick and thus smooths out the surface appearance. Your stock brakes will look ridiculous behind those beautiful 18s derek.