PDA

View Full Version : Random popping and stuff steering after 12 piece control arm kit install?

4A Play
08-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Hey guys, picked up a 12 piece control arm kit from ECS for my 30v and after the install/ loading the suspension and now have a random popping at lower speeds when turning. Cv joints are intact and appear to be in good shape. I also had the front wheel bearings pressed in while the hubs were out if that matters. Any Ideas?

Also, my steering feels tighter. Not unusable, just tight. Is this to be expected with a 12 piece replacement kit? My car has 201,000 miles on it so I suspect I simply have grown accustomed to the sloppy steering.

Lastly, I plan to replace the howling rear wheel bearings. Should I hold off on an alignment until this is done and limit driving? Does the rear bearing install throw off alignment on a Quattro?

Thank you gentleman!

urban96
08-24-2012, 09:36 AM
you can try pushing the front of the car up/down while parked to see if you can replicate or hear any noises that sound out of place.

as far as alignment goes it depends on how long you plan to wait before you replace the rear wheel bearings. If you plan on doing them soon and not driving the car much then wait on the alignment. If you plan on driving the car a lot you should get an alignment asap.

BlackLock_A4
08-24-2012, 10:21 AM
you can try pushing the front of the car up/down while parked to see if you can replicate or hear any noises that sound out of place.

If the noise is duplicated then check ___________?

If you cant duplicate the noise, then check ______________?

lol, I only ask because I have the same noise - after I replaced my control arms too.

wildbill
08-24-2012, 10:22 AM
did you install them as bentley specified? lowered car?

4A Play
08-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Yup. Factory Tq specs. All new hardware. Damn close alignment after the install, all bolts were tightened with load on the arms. Maybe the new stuff just needs to settle in?

This 12 piece kit was a huge pita to install btw.

Lowered 98 30v H&R race springs and new sport struts. No problems in 20,000 miles.

BlackLock_A4
08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I installed the 12 pc kit too along with ST coilovers. No problems other than the clunking, I have about 30K on mine.

wildbill
08-24-2012, 12:32 PM
the lowering is your answer, those race springs change things drastically, i would consider compensating the control arms settings, measurement wise compared to spec

4A Play
08-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Hmmmmm it didnt do it for the thousands of miles before the install.

Roach-the-Great
08-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Have you checked your snub mount, motor mounts, or the sub frame bushings you got nice new control arms maybe now your getting movement other places also could be inner cv joint

urban96
08-24-2012, 03:51 PM
If the noise is duplicated then check ___________?

If you cant duplicate the noise, then check ______________?

lol, I only ask because I have the same noise - after I replaced my control arms too.

if u can duplicate the sound try and pinpoint where its coming from.

I had a squeaking/clunking that turned out to be a bad strut mount

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm17/urban96/IMG_0888-1.jpg

^^looks like the top nut on the strut wasnt tightened 100%