PDA

View Full Version : Tranmission change fluid change without vag-com

Symon
08-03-2012, 12:14 PM
So as the title suggests I was wondering if it was possible to refill an 01v tranny without vag com.

I was under the impression that you could but it wasn't recommended. Has anyone done it without vagcom before? Any ideas or thoughts?

Seerlah
08-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I am pretty sure Vag Com only monitors the temp while you drain and refill. Might want to search this, but I figure it is like any other tranny fluid flush. Warm enough to be able to get out as much as possible (thinned out), and not hot enough to burn you.

walky_talky20
08-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes, I do it without vag-com without issue. Drain when cold, fill cold. You pump in as much as you can with the vehicle off (about 2 liters), then start vehicle and top off, run through gears with foot on brake, top off, install plug. By the time you do that, you are very close to it being at spec for fill temp anyway. The difference between finishing then, and waiting for the spec temp is just a couple ounces of over-fill, if that. Never had a problem. Normal fill with this method is about 3.75 liters (for just a drain and fill, without dropping the pan or changing the filter).

Do I officially suggest you do this? No. But that's how I do it.

Symon
08-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm actually replacing my transmission pan because I put a hole in it a while ago.

So the basic method here is to pump in fluid until it fills the pan and comes out of the fill plug and then run through the gears and then repeat? Right?

How do I know how much should go in or is it a case of I just won't be able to fit more in?

Symon
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
I bought 6 quarts of fluid. Is that overkill? I might be making a return.

walky_talky20
08-03-2012, 09:40 PM
By dropping the pan, you do get a bit more fluid out. You probably need 4+ qts. Getting 6 is a good idea. If you can return one after the fact, that's great.

After you bolt the pan back on, you will fill it through the fill plug hole until overflow. Then you will start the engine and fill it to overflow again. Then run it through each gear selection with your foot on the brake and back to Park, and fill to overflow again. Then you let it drain out the fill plug until it reaches the spec temperature (if you roll like that), re-install fill plug, and shut off the engine.

defrag010
08-04-2012, 07:59 PM
A cheap little tool that made changing the fluid effortless for me is this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/oil-suction-gun-95468.html

AlS6
04-09-2013, 10:00 AM
By dropping the pan, you do get a bit more fluid out. You probably need 4+ qts. Getting 6 is a good idea. If you can return one after the fact, that's great.

After you bolt the pan back on, you will fill it through the fill plug hole until overflow. Then you will start the engine and fill it to overflow again. Then run it through each gear selection with your foot on the brake and back to Park, and fill to overflow again. Then you let it drain out the fill plug until it reaches the spec temperature (if you roll like that), re-install fill plug, and shut off the engine.

Sorry for this late question... when you said spec temp, how can you tell with out VAG? by feeling the pan? or when it's starts to over flow.

walky_talky20
04-09-2013, 10:58 AM
You don't.

The entire process takes time to do using a hand pump (suck it out of the containers push it in, etc). By the time you finish mucking about with the fluid, you are nearly at the spec temp already. In fact, if it's your first time and you don't hurry the heck up, you might be OVER the spec temp. Anyway, in my experience, after filling it you would wait only a couple minutes, and a very minimal amount of fluid would overflow out as the temperatures rises to the magic number. We're talking a few ounces. Not a big deal.

The link above to the Harbor Freight tool is basically what I use. Mine has a curved metal tip on the end of the tube that works perfectly.