PDA

View Full Version : overheating

online-leash
08-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Ok, Im not that mechanically savvy, I did front suspension on the b5 2.8 quattro and that came out perfect. Now I'm overheating. So I checked the upper radiator hose and it was hot. So the thermostat is open. Belt seams tight. I am keeping fluid in the expansion tank. My radiator IS leaking but I keep fluid in the tank. The radiator will be replaced but I don't think that's the problem. I have seen smoke coming from under the hood by the time I get home from work. 2 mile drive, not overheated but if I went anymore it would. My oil doesn't look irregular so I shouldn't have a blown head gasket. I'm don't really understand how interference engines defer from a noninterference engine. Except how much a pain in the ass it is to get to the thermostat and the water pump. Could the overheating be coming from the water pump?? If so would there be smoke involved?? I went to change the valve cover gaskets but was told not to because of the timing gasket should be done at the same time. That's when I found out that the thermostat, water pump, timing belt cam shaft seals, crank seal, relay lever, front motor mount, and my bank account should be changed. I was quoted $1000 to have the work done but am kinda leaning on doing it myself being that the suspension turned out ok. So the questions are, 1 what would cause the overheating and the smoke, 2 Should I do the work myself or have a professional do it for a grand. I will be ordering the parts from blauparts and will have the guide and the rental tools if I decide to do it myself. Or my mechanic will install the parts when I order them. I plan on getting the g2 supercharger soon and will be ordering the upgraded timing belt. Thanx for whatever info can that can be provided.