PDA

View Full Version : Engine Removal DIY?

Nevalite
08-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a good DIY for pulling the engine, are there any floating around? I cant seem to find one for the B5 A4.

Thanks!

redline380
08-01-2012, 05:48 PM
it really isnt all that hard. pull radiator support off and start ripping all the vaccum line shit off. have you taken a motor out of any other car before?

AudiNFS
08-01-2012, 06:16 PM
it really isnt all that hard. pull radiator support off and start ripping all the vaccum line shit off. have you taken a motor out of any other car before?

Do you have to take off any of the timing stuff? I got everything apart and as far as I know just have to undo the mounts and whatever the transmission connects to.

bw86
08-01-2012, 06:32 PM
No. nothing that has to do with the timing has to be removed.

ianwpb
08-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Keep track of your connectors.. Put little pieces of tape on the wires and mark where they went.

dr_always
08-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I just went through this myself last month. Go over to www.happywrenching.com and use the tutorials for removing the front bumper and the lock carrier. These tutorials as well as a clutch job tutorial are the only ones you need to complete your entire swap. The clutch job tutorial will help with the actual removal of the engine from the rest of your car. Sift through my previous threads started during June and July of this year for all you need.

Nevalite
08-03-2012, 06:34 AM
I have never done an engine removal before though I have done a lot of other repairs. All those DIYs will be helpful I was just wondering if there was one that covers the process from start to finish.

dr_always
08-03-2012, 06:59 AM
I have never done an engine removal before though I have done a lot of other repairs. All those DIYs will be helpful I was just wondering if there was one that covers the process from start to finish.

Not for the B5 A4, feel free to write one yourself.

OMEGA SUPREME
08-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Its not hard. Hardest part is getting to the tranny to engine bolts. Use a piece of cardboard to mark and place the bolts in order of them coming out. There are different lengths and you don't want to lose track. You need an engine hoist. To get to the lower engine tranny bolts jack the engine up so you can get a socket last the subframe. Also a 16 mm in all sizes is your best friend. Also mark all the connectors and vacuum hoses. Make sure to get all the coolant hoses, but its easier if you pull the engine out about 4 inches first.

howardfootball
08-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Its not hard. Hardest part is getting to the tranny to engine bolts. Use a piece of cardboard to mark and place the bolts in order of them coming out. There are different lengths and you don't want to lose track. You need an engine hoist. To get to the lower engine tranny bolts jack the engine up so you can get a socket last the subframe. Also a 16 mm in all sizes is your best friend. Also mark all the connectors and vacuum hoses. Make sure to get all the coolant hoses, but its easier if you pull the engine out about 4 inches first.

It's easier to just pull the engine and transmission together instead of dicking with the bell housing bolts.

bw86
08-04-2012, 11:13 AM
It's easier to just pull the engine and transmission together instead of dicking with the bell housing bolts.

yep, I'd rather disconnect the axles + driveshaft then deal with the bellhousing bolts.

OMEGA SUPREME
08-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Bellhousing bolts took me all of 20 minutes, but like stated, its not the only way.