PDA

View Full Version : Auto Trans Repair Help. ZF 5HP-19FL

6berry
08-01-2012, 03:17 PM
I recently bought a second audi a4. Its a 1999 Audi a4 non quattro with a 12 valve 2.8 and an auto tranny.
I bought it with a broken selector valve which is this piece right here. http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=product&id=84&parent=4
I just got done putting the new selector valve in and filling it up with the correct ATF and when I went through the gear it was tough to get it out of park. I pulled on it a little bit and it came out of park but now I can't get it to go back into park. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
I know the car sat with the transmission pan off for a while before I bought it so it could probably use more tranny fluid than I put in already which was 6 quarts but I wanted to make sure its not another problem before I spend money on more transmission fluid that won't fix the problem.
If anybody has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks

biketsai
08-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Definitely make sure the fluid level is correct first.

walky_talky20
08-01-2012, 05:18 PM
You filled it until overflow, with the engine running, right? And you ought to shift between the gears a few times whilst filling it as well.

As for the shifter problems, if correcting the fluid level doesn't fix it, I don't know what to tell you. Oh wait, yes I do: 5-speed swap.

6berry
08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I didnt have enough fluid to fill it til it overflowed but i did fill it while changing gears. i am ordering 5 more quarts of fluid tomorrow so hopefully thatll fix the problem. if not is there any chance it could be the solenoids or something?

blacka4
08-01-2012, 07:38 PM
If its hard out of park it has to be the lever or the pin is messed up. The fluid won't fix it. Is a linkage problem.

howardfootball
08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
5-speed swap :thumbup: