PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

woolveren
07-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi,

I wanted to ask this last week, but didn't get time.

Is this abrupt hiss normal when giving sudden throttle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW1QCB4fiZc

Now the car (98 Audi a4 1.8t) has got more issues for which I started another thread, and just wanted to know whether this has something to do with that.

redline380
07-28-2012, 07:36 PM
sounds alright to me. could have a vaccum leak but most motors ive heard kind of make a sucking noise while opening the throttle. plus i envy the fact you can rev your car under the hood

biketsai
07-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Might be a vac leak.

Lornnn
07-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Is the sound louder near the intake duct? Could just be the air whipping past the plastic

woolveren
07-28-2012, 08:46 PM
sounds alright to me. could have a vaccum leak but most motors ive heard kind of make a sucking noise while opening the throttle. plus i envy the fact you can rev your car under the hood

Might be a vac leak.

If there is a vacuum leak, it will throw a CEL? I don't have any CEL though.

Is the sound louder near the intake duct? Could just be the air whipping past the plastic

Yeah, the sound is coming from that black plastic thing housing, and it's kind of loud near its vicinity.

Lornnn
07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
If there is a vacuum leak, it will throw a CEL? I don't have any CEL though.

Yeah, the sound is coming from that black plastic thing housing, and it's kind of loud near its vicinity.

My 2.8 does the same thing when the throttle is tapped like that. Quite a bit of air is being forced quickly through a small space.. I wouldn't worry about it.

Steve Chicago
07-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Build a boost-leak-tester (Google it). Use it to check for vacuum/boost leaks.