PDA

View Full Version : Gas light constantly on and gas gauge unresponsive

dr_always
07-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Ever since I finished up my swap my gas gauge has been sitting on E and my low gas warning light is always on, even right after I fill up the tank. All my fuses are fine. I try and try but can't get the lower basket piece of my fuel filter to seat properly, might this have anything to do with it?

[I would search but I'm on my phone. ]

Avant Nate
07-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Check the connections to the fuel sending unit.

JAM3S121
07-24-2012, 08:06 PM
pull up the fuel sending unit from the fuel pump, only takes about 5-10 minutes to get too.

check the little wire that goes over the the needle, yes the outstanding german engineers thought it would be smart to have a wire going over the needle so that as the ball moves it can tug on the small wire gently eventually breaking it.

redline380
07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
What swap did you do?

dr_always
07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Check the connections to the fuel sending unit.

I plan on doing this first. Where and how would you check the connections? I was planning on just swapping the contacts around on eachother on the underside of the fuel pump lid. The sending unit's connection to the underside of the lid can go on either way so its possible that I may have it on backwards.

pull up the fuel sending unit from the fuel pump, only takes about 5-10 minutes to get too.

check the little wire that goes over the the needle, yes the outstanding german engineers thought it would be smart to have a wire going over the needle so that as the ball moves it can tug on the small wire gently eventually breaking it.

Would you mind writing a quick few steps on how to get this done? I looked up a picture of the fuel sending unit and it had me wondering howtf it is removed from the tank. I was originally thinking it required dropping the tank until I read your post.

What swap did you do?

Just swapped the same 2.8 back into my car that it came with from the factory. I'm embarrassed to admit that I ran the engine without enough oil for a little too long (was being stubborn) and ended up with a knocking engine in no time (spun bearing). Luckily, the motor I just swapped in is in much better shape than my old motor ever was. It was still a very expensive mistake that I'll always regret. One things for sure, I'll NEVER take having a running car for granted!

JAM3S121
07-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Hey heres the diy I used to fix my fuel sending unit.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec77.shtml

If you look at the pictures one of the last one shows how the wire is in a really stupid spot and prone to failure, when I took mine out of the car the wire was in two pieces, sometimes it hangs on by a few strands. I bought one from a s4 part out for $40 and it worked. If you're gas gauge worked before you swapped out the motor possibly its not this though. Its a high failure part but still it wears down gradually, usually it works only sometimes until it just never works again.

Wear some gloves if you are going to do it and hope you're gas isn't that full, I ran without a working gas gauge for over a year.. when I did it I thought i had about 30% tank left.. had more than half. I always had to top off my gas whenever I went anywhere because I was never 100% sure, worst feeling in the world. Hope you can get it fixed