PDA

View Full Version : 1.8t atw info

b5audi21
07-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Hey just need info I seen info saying i have forged rods so if i do. How much whp I could make before doing internal work and info on the motor itself? i search all day for it.

speedydragon
07-11-2012, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't push more than 300chp on any b5/b6 1.8t.

M-Hood
07-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Hey just need info I seen info saying i have forged rods so if i do. How much whp I could make before doing internal work and info on the motor itself? i search all day for it.

All of the A4's have the same rods and they have a very narrow neck which is where the rod bends and then snaps. The rods can hold up to 350awp but really depends on the tuning, there are plenty people pushing up around 330awhp with stock rods. Once the 300whp mark is reached upgrading the rods should really be done just to be on the safe side.

300chp isn't even an issue since that is really only 234awhp which is GT28r/Franketurbo power level.

The stock rod neck is the weakest part in our 1.8t engine.

b5audi21
07-11-2012, 10:36 PM
so if im doing rods upgrade i should just go ahead and do a stroker?

redline380
07-12-2012, 01:21 AM

thats kinda like saying if im going to bet 5 dollars on this hand of blackjack, why not bet a thousand? it all depends on how much money you want to spend. the sky's the limit if you got money. a bored and stroked motor makes zero sense on a stock turbo though. what are your goals here? but again, (carrying on with the blackjack analogy) bet big to win big but it might cost you in the end.

M-Hood
07-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Not really because there is way more work involved when doing a stroker in a 058 block. You can get 1.9 liter using 83-83.5mm pistons with the stock ATW crank.

If you dont plan on going larger bore or changing the CR you can just stick with the stock pistons and drop in a set of strong aftermarket rods. Going beyond that is going to just cost way more money in parts and labor.

b5audi21
07-12-2012, 11:00 PM
yea u right but if i do it now and ready for more power later down the road that would be down and im planning on running a holset h1c.