PDA

View Full Version : can't be control arms this quick, can it???

A Foore
05-19-2005, 01:51 PM
I got all 8 of my arms replaced about 6 months ago (10,000 kms ago - not sure what that is in miles). Recently I've noticed slight noise coming from the front end while I'm coming to a complete stop. It's not a clunk or a squeak noise, kinda like a deep squeak or grinding noise. Don't know how else to explain it. This wouldn't be my control arms this quick, would it? And no, it's not the brakes squeakng if that's what you're gonna say. Input is appreciated, thanks.

BranCKY3
05-19-2005, 02:08 PM
I was gonna say the brakes grinding, how long ago were your pads replaced?

BuffysRS4
05-19-2005, 02:16 PM
[rs4] i'd bet on the brakes, our brakes don't like to squeal they grind to let you know "I need a changin'"

ed@mtl
05-19-2005, 02:57 PM
I had to change my control arms twice within a 15 month period. I'm sure I'll have to change it again next year.

A Foore
05-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by BranCKY3
I was gonna say the brakes grinding, how long ago were your pads replaced?

Pads were replaced with Pagid pads about 6 months ago. Rotors replaced about a month after that. (don't ask why I didn't do it at once. I don't know why myself either lol). But this noise didn't start happening until recently.

Originally posted by BuffysRS4
[rs4] i'd bet on the brakes, our brakes don't like to squeal they grind to let you know "I need a changin'"

Actually, I drove around the block a few times testing without braking and noticed it happens over minor bumps/imperfections in the road, but only at low speeds.

Originally posted by ed@audiyo
I had to change my control arms twice within a 15 month period. I'm sure I'll have to change it again next year.

Damn!!! That's crazy. Do the roads in Montreal actually make that much of a difference? I asked my mechanic when I got mine done if this issue is caused by the roads. He said no. It's the weather change that causes the bushings to go bad. If thats true, then people down south where there's not much of a weather change wouldn't run into this problem as frequently as us north of the border, right?

*** Would it be the tie rods ends? I didn't change them when I got my arms done. However, I got my steering rack replaced about 1-2 months ago, which came with tie rods, but not the tie rod ends. Are the tie rods and tie rod ends 2 different parts?

quickglx
05-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ed@audiyo
You must be doing something wrong for them to be going out that fast.... What fails, was it the bushing or the ball joint? Did you tighten the bushing bolts w/ the car at normal ride height?

atwalker6
05-19-2005, 07:07 PM
im hearing all this talk about control arms how much is it to replace them usually parts and labor?

quickglx
05-19-2005, 07:23 PM
there's a saying that goes if you have to ask, you can't afford it.... A lot of people replace all of them at the same time, but I think it's silly. Wasting good parts and money...... ECS has all of the control arms and tie rod ends for $600, parts only. Add an alignment and installation on top of that....

Daft
05-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by quickglx
You must be doing something wrong for them to be going out that fast.... What fails, was it the bushing or the ball joint? Did you tighten the bushing bolts w/ the car at normal ride height?

I bet I know whay people keep having to replace them.....

When you install a new control arm, you have to tighten the bushing end of the control arm while the arm is positioned at normal ride height. This ensures that when the car is cruising or stopped, the bushings are at rest (not twisted). The bushings should only receive any torque when traveling over bumps.

jrodmk2
05-20-2005, 08:44 AM
it may be the sway links also, if they were not done...

Wholsea
05-20-2005, 08:50 AM
You can get a complete control arm replacement kit from PAP-Parts for just over $500 (www.pap-parts.com)

ed@mtl
05-20-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm sure my Audi dealer did install it correctly the first time. However, it was $$$. But I'm lucky that I found someone that spealize in German cars and he's much cheaper.

Daft
05-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Was you car lowered at all the time audi did them?

If so, they went by the book specs which are for a stock car with stock suspension height. When I read the specs in my shop manual, I realized it wouldn't work well (have aftermarket suspension) so I put the car on an alignment rack (car at rest), loosened the bushing bolts and then re-tightened them. They actually moved a tad when I loosened them.

I doubt Audi would do that. Especially on a lowered car.