PDA

View Full Version : Swallow my pride and go Stage 3?

Skeeter_Stage3
05-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Okay, need a little advice here.

I won the APR Stage 3+ at the BBQ this year and as most of you know, the 3+ has no release date. I know some people have been waiting well over a year for this thing to come out as well.

I like the fact that the GT28R has a quicker spool up and a little better mid-range power. Im an in-town driver and mostly keep the rev's on the old wagon below 6k so this could be a plus

Now I can get the Stage 3 if I want to. Should I just take it and run the hell out of it and upgrade to the 3+ when it comes out?

I know with all the new cars coming out, that it could be a long time before anything comes of the 3+ for the B5's.

MKGIY
05-18-2005, 12:48 PM
If you want it go for it. How much would it be to upgrade later on? They wont give you some sort of credit to upgrade later?

Mike

ECA4
05-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Ohh thats some dilema...I would probably wait if I were you, you've been waiting almost a year so another 2-3 months wont kill you. Their new kit is going to kick some serious ass if all goes well.

Skeeter_Stage3
05-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Shoot, I'm not going to complain at all. Free power is free power, you know? I haven't been waiting a year, I've only been waiting since April!

Oh the suspense!

As for the upgrade, its $2k when its available.

I would get the B6 kit, if the hardware was all the same and get a different program from another dealer if I knew it would work.

MKGIY
05-18-2005, 12:53 PM
The B6 hardware is different. It is your decision bro. You can get power now or wait "2 weeks."

Mike

EVIL-AUDI
05-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by MKGIY
"2 weeks."

Mike

Longest 2 weeks in the history of the world.

Skeeter_Stage3
05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Funny, I was told 3 weeks and after a month, I emailed them with no response.

Is that a common thing?

MKGIY
05-18-2005, 12:59 PM
^^^Yes.

Mike

94jedi
05-18-2005, 01:00 PM
man, I can only wish I was as luck as you. I would wait. your patience will pay off.

Skeeter_Stage3
05-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I got REALLY lucky. Never won anything in my life, unless you count a few bucks on a lottery ticket.

You're right. Waiting is just so dang hard sometimes. The possibility of all that new power is like some weird addiction or something.

I need to take care of the basics first as it is. I'm at 64k so timing belt needs to be sorted, etc.

GlacialBass
05-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Were I you, I would take care of all of your maint. issues first. See where you are at then. If you have it all done, and still no kit, then just get the stage III.

just my .02

bitterchild
05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
honestly I don't see a 3+ coming out got b5s anytime.

Starting
05-18-2005, 02:13 PM
If I won the kit I would take stage 3 and not wait. If I was buying the kit i would wait for stage 3+. See if you can have them throw something extra in like springs or something.

HomeSlice
05-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Sell that ticket and look for other tuning options.. Or you can wait another 2 weeks[rolleyes]

A4 in SC
05-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Dang man, I didn't know you won the kit this year! Why didn't you say anything at SV? WOW! You Atlanta guys are so damned lucky! First Matt a couple of years ago, and now you! Jeesh!!! I think I need to move to Atlanta just so I can win a free stage III![headbang] [hail]

Yeah, I'd most DEFINITELY go ahead and go with the Stage III. Then again, I'd talk to Chris (George) and see if he can do anything about the price on the upgrade. I mean, heck, you did win a Stage III+. Maybe he can work with you on that upgrade price!

Let me know when you get it installed. I have yet to ride in a Stage III awd car yet. Been in several fwd Stage IIIs, and it's a BLAST (even if there is very little traction in the first three gears!)[:D]

Good to see you again at SV. Jeesh, I still can't believe you won this year![mad] [confused] [;)] [:D] [up] [up]

Later,
Mike

Skeeter_Stage3
05-19-2005, 05:11 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by A4 in SC
Dang man, I didn't know you won the kit this year! Why didn't you say anything at SV? WOW! You Atlanta guys are so damned lucky! First Matt a couple of years ago, and now you! Jeesh!!! I think I need to move to Atlanta just so I can win a free stage III![headbang] [hail]

Yeah, I'd most DEFINITELY go ahead and go with the Stage III. Then again, I'd talk to Chris (George) and see if he can do anything about the price on the upgrade. I mean, heck, you did win a Stage III+. Maybe he can work with you on that upgrade price!

Let me know when you get it installed. I have yet to ride in a Stage III awd car yet. Been in several fwd Stage IIIs, and it's a BLAST (even if there is very little traction in the first three gears!)[:D]

Good to see you again at SV. Jeesh, I still can't believe you won this year![mad] [confused] [;)] [:D] [up] [up]

Later,
Mike [/QUOTE

Yo, Whats up Mike! Good to see you again too! SV is always a good time, rain or shine!

I may give them a call and see if there isn't any kind of upgrade discount or something. Luckily, I haven't ridden in Matts car. I know if I did, I'd be even more anxious, for real!

A4 in SC
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, Matt's GTI is crazy. He doesn't seem to stop at 'good enough' either...

Trust me, you should ride in his car sometime. It's FUN! I can only imagine how much fun it would be with quattro!

Let me know if Chris can 'give you a discount' if and when the Stage III+ comes out. I would think so, since you did win the Stage III+. Then again, going from a Stage III to a Stage III+ for $2k isn't nearly as bad as spending $5k+ for Stage III and then another $2k for the +.... That's the way I'd think about it.

Go for it man - you won't regret it! If I could, I know I would!

Mike

audlman
05-19-2005, 05:19 PM
i wish i could have won a Stage 3+.

BranCKY3
05-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Get the stage 3 already!!! I would sell my soul for that right now! (PM me if interested [:)])

EC Motorwerks
05-19-2005, 05:49 PM
If you won the stage 3+. I would hope they would give you the stage 3 now and the upgraded parts later at no charge since that is what you won.

Skeeter_Stage3
05-20-2005, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Addict
If you won the stage 3+. I would hope they would give you the stage 3 now and the upgraded parts later at no charge since that is what you won.

I don't know if thats an option since we're dealing with a new turbo, injectors and programming. Looking at it from their end, its a pricey move to give away 2 turbos..

I'll most likely keep waiting until i get some other parts sorted and then call and see what we can do.

Luckily, my car isn't too much of a hog now. If it were, I'd be uber anxious to get the ball rolling!

Mr_You
05-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Yeah, maybe see what performance parts you can upgrade to that will be included with the Stage 3+.

At the very least you could get a chip and enjoy that.