PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic Launching, etc...

GlacialBass
05-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Ok, after reading through a lot of random threads, it seems that most people are only able to "brake launch" their Tips at around 1800rpm.

I have been able to hold to about 3000rpm and at around 15psi.

What is the norm? does this sound like I have a tip chip already? I bought the car in Decenmber and recently found out by accident that it's APR chipped, so it may have the tip chip already too. *shrug*

Thanks,

Justin

B5A4
05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
holding it to 3k? would that not be bad for the TC? Seems a bit high to me. I fried my TC in my Automatic grand cherokee by braketorquing it and leaving a 50 footer nonposi line. demolished it after like 5 months.

duffman1101
05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
i have GIAC's tip chip and engine chip (APR doesn't make a tip chip)... and i can still only brake launch like u said in the high 1k rev range. Having a tip chip doesn't let you rev higher while on brake, as far as i know.

I dunno how you get to 3k, but any brake launching you do is hard on the drivetrain. It's a ton of stress on internal components like the diffs and TC, etc... so eventually you're gonna cook something and be out a pretty penny for repairs.

GlacialBass
05-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Ok, I didn't think that the tip chip would do that. So that makes me wonder if i in fact have a torque converter.

ok, another question for the tip guys then... do you have a lot of turbo lag, ie not really having much power until 2750rpm plus?? Or do you have power right off of the line? I seem to have a lot of lag, or at least what feels like lag. I suppose it could be a converter though...

Justin

duffman1101
05-18-2005, 01:23 PM
well the combo of being small displacement, turbo, and an auto doesn't make for any kind of a fast start. Being turbo'd and not being able to launch like the manual boys, we make our money in the midrange. Not getting real power till high 2k's is because that's where the turbo starts to help. That's not really BAD lag, as guys with big turbo setups sometimes wont get their spool till mid to high 3k's....

that said, 1.8 liters doesn't do much on it's own, and our little k03's don't do much even when we're hitting 1Bar.

GlacialBass
05-18-2005, 01:30 PM
duffman,

Have you run the 1/4 at all? Also, what do you think of the Borla?

Thanks!

bitterchild
05-18-2005, 02:02 PM
did you just say you weren't sure if you had a torque converter?

GlacialBass
05-18-2005, 02:53 PM
No, i was saying that I didn't know if I had an aftermarket converter.

Justin

bitterchild
05-18-2005, 05:09 PM
you don't. :)

GlacialBass
05-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Sorry, first auto that I've owned. Hate it as much as I thought I would, but the car was one helluva deal.

Justin

B5A4
05-18-2005, 09:33 PM
your TC may be toast if you feel like you have alot of lag, and you can brakehold it to 3k.

A4 in SC
05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Nice new sig Duffman1101! Isn't that a new one (at least it is to me)?

Sorry for the threadjack!

duffman1101
05-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by A4 in SC
Nice new sig Duffman1101! Isn't that a new one (at least it is to me)?

Sorry for the threadjack!

yea it's new... i got pwned by the sig ninjas :)

so i had a few pics from last summer before i left for basic when i took it on a trip to the family cabin...

tons of empty backroads in the country... and the last 15 miles are dirt... got to have some fun slidin around on the quattro! it was the best road trip i've driven, and the cars was really dirty on the lower half, while the top was still pristine. good times.

thanks for the comment... i just cropped and resized a pic... i wish i could figure out how to paste 2 or 3 together like y'all. maybe later.