PDA

View Full Version : oil starvation

IndieRockSteve
05-17-2005, 06:48 PM
daft, mike, etc,

whats the deal with oil starvation with the 1.8T?

thanks,

bitterchild
05-17-2005, 06:55 PM
turbo oil starvation is conventional oil getting burned and caking in the 90 degree feed line going to the turbo and starving the cartridge.

engine oil is an issue w/ the pickup location and extended intervals allowing conventional oil to break down and sludge near the oil pump pickup tube. Not positive on this one though.

quickglx
05-17-2005, 07:00 PM
exactly. The oil feed line was redesigned to fit on the proper side of the heat sheild in later models. Their "fix" was a new heat sheild for the earlier models, synthetic oil and a larger filter for the sludge issue.

IndieRockSteve
05-17-2005, 08:22 PM
uhm, ok.

I always thought oil starvation is when the engine's oil circulation can't feed from the oil pan because of g-forces.

so, I'd like my answer to that defnition

A4 in SC
05-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Actually, everyone is right in this case. Steve, your starvation definition is common for all engines, not just the 1.8Ts.

I had major oil starvation problems with my Mk2 Golf (1.8 8V) and it was multiplied (became very apparent) with a cracked pcv valve at an autocross school I attended. Smoked like a diesel! Embarrassing, but it did score me a ride in both the instructors cars. One was a C5 Vette (was new then) as well as a Miata. That's what 'sewed the seed' in me getting a Miata for a track car.

I think that as long as you change your oil like you should, do proper cool downs, you shouldn't have a problem with yours. It's one of the newer B5s, so it should have came with the updated oil feed line.

IndieRockSteve
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
right, but is it a problem people have found autocrossing the 1.8T? are there systems available to rerun the oil pump system?

EuroA4
05-18-2005, 01:21 PM
its because the oil pickups that pump out of the oil pan cannot get any oil when its sloshing around in the pan...a windage tray in the oil pan helps to seperate the oil more evenly, even during high G forces, etc...so its always getting a positive flow to the engine.

bitterchild
05-18-2005, 01:57 PM
think about it, what's the longest period of time you have a sustained gforce in one direct in autox? it's not going to be a problem.

EuroA4
05-18-2005, 06:49 PM
^^ agreed...this would not be a problem for a quick turning
auto-x course. more of a problem in road racing.