PDA

View Full Version : Just aimed my lights....did I do it right?

A Foore
05-16-2005, 06:35 PM
I just came back from aiming my headlights. Not sure if I did it right though. Here's what I did:

As you probably know, the beam pattern for projectors start on the left side, then goes up somewhat horizontally and across like this:

left side of beam
________________/---------------------------- right side of beam

1. pulled up right to the wall.
2. put tape horizontal on wall aligned with bottom of headlights
3. put tape vertical across the horizontal line, center of each projector (there's an H7 marking right in the middle bottom of housing).
4. backed up 25 feet
5. the left side of beam is a couple of inches lower than the horizontal line I made, while the right side of beam is at or just above the horizontal line
6. The middle of the beam, where it starts going upwards to the right side is aligned with the vertical markings.

Is this correct? I hope I explained myself well enough for you all to understand.

quickglx
05-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I aligned mine to my own specs.... Trial and error. I like the flares to meet up at the farthest(farthurerererestest?) point you can see. Aimed w/ the upward flare at the middle line, cutoff slightly downward sloping just enough to not blind 90% of the regular traffic......

A Foore
05-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by quickglx
I aligned mine to my own specs.... Trial and error. I like the flares to meet up at the farthest(farthurerererestest?) point you can see. Aimed w/ the upward flare at the middle line, cutoff slightly downward sloping just enough to not blind 90% of the regular traffic......

lol...I'm at a lost. What do you mean by flare? I've read your post over numberous times, but I can't seem to picture it in my head.

Crisqo
05-16-2005, 06:55 PM
___________/------------------/

like this?

A Foore
05-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Crisqo
___________/------------------/

like this?

yes, that's how each beam pattern is like. Maybe I should've made that little picture too in my original post.
Ok. Post edited. lol

BlackOne.eight
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
it took me alot of adjusting to get em right, and so people would stop highbeaming me.

A4 in SC
05-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Mine are like Crisqo's and A Foore's, I believe. Did you follow a procedure? Have a link? I followed an online procedure, but can't find the link right now. My left and right lights are inline with each other, i.e. the horizontal 'line' is in line with each other, and the 'kick ups' are aligned vertically. Hope that makes sense.

BTW, I've NEVER had anyone flash me.

Mike

BlackOne.eight
05-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Only got the highbeams for the one day i had them way to high, never had hids before and i never realized how bright they really were.

A Foore
05-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by A4 in SC
Mine are like Crisqo's and A Foore's, I believe. Did you follow a procedure? Have a link? I followed an online procedure, but can't find the link right now. My left and right lights are inline with each other, i.e. the horizontal 'line' is in line with each other, and the 'kick ups' are aligned vertically. Hope that makes sense.

BTW, I've NEVER had anyone flash me.

Mike

I did follow a procedure, but I can't find the link I used either. The 'kick ups' you mentioned, are you referring to the middle of the beam where it goes up horizontally?

EuroA4
05-17-2005, 02:03 PM
These are mine...slightly off on the left, but it kept blinding people in traffic until I lowered the left side...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/EuroA4/IMG_1198.jpg

A Foore
05-17-2005, 02:14 PM
^^^
That's wierd. Shouldn't the top part of each beam line up horizontally?

quickglx
05-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by A Foore
lol...I'm at a lost. What do you mean by flare? I've read your post over numberous times, but I can't seem to picture it in my head.

in this pictorial ___/-----___/----- representing the cutoff beam, what I meant by the flare is the /----- part. So at a distance down the road it looks like _____/-------- , they both join to one single beam aimed at the middle line of the road, meeting at the furthest discernable point. With the upward flared part on my side of the road and the dipped portion in the oncoming lane. Not exactly the correct way, but I like it best like that. Hope that makes more sense

4ingDrive
05-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Here's a couple of links.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/headlight-aiming.htm

AudiMat
05-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Very quick way to do it.... Park 25 ft away from a wall, on a flat and level surface. Walk up to the wall and measure 2 feet from the floor and make a mark. Then measure down 2 inches from the top mark. Each state varies slightly, but your left side beam's cut off point should fall somewhere in between these two marks. (cover up your right side headlight to make sure that you are only aiming the left side.) To make the step pattern, your right side headlamp cut-off line before the step on the left side of the beam should line up with the right side of the left headlamp step pattern. (wow that is mildly confusing) It will look like this when you are all done. ____/ /------- With both beam patterns meeting in the middle. MAKE SURE that your cut off point does not lie anywhere above the 2 feet mark, this is is a good way to get pulled over really fast (depending on the cop), its illegal, and its very dangerous and blinding to other drivers. I hope this helps.

A4 in SC
05-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the links 4ingDrive! The one I used was Daniel Sterns. That should answer all of the questions! Wonderful 'how to'.

Here's what mine look like:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Beam_aim.jpg

Mike

EuroA4
05-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Weird thing with mine is if I get the low beams set to the above picture...the high beams are out of whack...so I aligned the highs to be even, and have just dealt with the fact the left side is lower. Any suggestions to correct this? The bulbs are in properly, and the housings are installed perfectly... and the driveway is flat. It looks worse on the wall then it does when driving!

quickglx
05-18-2005, 12:23 PM
I used some washers on my projector mounting screws to make the high beams a bit higher. Then just re-aim them. Kinda have to do a trial and error bit to get them perfect.