PDA

View Full Version : need some help don't know what just happened

ComingSoon
05-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Okay so I am two blocks away from my house, I give the car a little gas and out of absolutely nowhere I hear this really loud boom like someone just hit my car with a bat from the engine bay.
Symptoms:
-idle is dropping all over the place, from 1000 - 600 RPMS if i give it some throttle it drops even more and just won't hold anything.
-vac. pressure dropped from normal 20-25 to like 10/8
-absolutely no boost going on, can't even get the car to move really when giving it gas.
-running Rich as all hell, spitting out intermitent black clouds out of the exhaust.

could the turbo be blown? I disconnected the MAF on the way home and that settled out the RPMS so that I could at least get it to roll the few blocks I had to go but still couldn't give it any gas.

Has this happened to any of you guys any help would be appreciated.

B5A4
05-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Did you actually give it a little gas, or did you go WOT for a little bit?

nice avatar btw

Kruat
05-16-2005, 04:55 PM
boost pipe blown off?

ComingSoon
05-16-2005, 04:55 PM
no I was on a regular street normal traffic and I had just made my left turn gave her gas after the turn and boom

B5A4
05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ComingSoon
no I was on a regular street normal traffic and I had just made my left turn gave her gas after the turn and boom

have you looked under the hood for anything abnormal looking?

ComingSoon
05-16-2005, 05:02 PM
yeah nothing seems out of place when looking under the hood, have yet to put her up on the ramps and check the underbelly, also the car has 85K on the clock if that means anything

B5A4
05-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ComingSoon
yeah nothing seems out of place when looking under the hood, have yet to put her up on the ramps and check the underbelly, also the car has 85K on the clock if that means anything

If you look under the car and don't find anything, then maybe it is a vacuum line blown? (the noise?) Other more knowledgable people will chime in.

Daft
05-16-2005, 05:13 PM
I agree with Kraut. Sounds like an Intercooler pipe popped off or tore open.

Has anyone worked on the engine recently? Perhaps they left a hose clamp loose.

quickglx
05-16-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm w/ these guys, sounds like the charge pressure pipe blew off. No boost, no air metering, vacuum should be low w/ idle that irregular/low. Have a vag com? check you MAF readings, if any. Check the hoses man....