PDA

View Full Version : post-detailing pics

IndieRockSteve
05-16-2005, 02:09 PM
spent the entire weekend(about 14hrs each day) doing some much needed paint restoration on my car. To give you an idea of how poorly I treated my paint, I went through 3 clay bars. Lets just say I'll never do it again(treat my car this poorly), and now it shines, it looks great, so I thought I'd share the pics we took when I finished. I also took the opportunity to de-badge, love the turnout...

http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/personalalbum/detailing/IMG_0657edited.sized.jpg (http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MyAlbum/detailing/IMG_0657edited?full=1)

http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/personalalbum/detailing/IMG_0660edited.sized.jpg (http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MyAlbum/detailing/IMG_0660edited?full=1)

http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/personalalbum/detailing/IMG_0658edited.sized.jpg (http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MyAlbum/detailing/IMG_0658edited?full=1)

http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/personalalbum/detailing/IMG_0668edited.sized.jpg (http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MyAlbum/detailing/IMG_0668edited?full=1)

http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/personalalbum/detailing/IMG_0672edited.sized.jpg (http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MyAlbum/detailing/IMG_0672edited?full=1)

http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/personalalbum/detailing/IMG_0662edited.sized.jpg (http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MyAlbum/detailing/IMG_0662edited?full=1)

http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/personalalbum/detailing/IMG_0661edited.sized.jpg (http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MyAlbum/detailing/IMG_0661edited?full=1)

jaredpgh
05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Looks awesome.

Trefive
05-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Looks great, but you missed the exhaust tips.

Since the car will be dirty again by the time you read this might as well wait for next week for the exhaust tips.

alen
05-16-2005, 03:26 PM
what products did you use? also, did you use swirl mark remover? i swear, brilliant black is a bitch to keep clean.

derek2079
05-16-2005, 03:39 PM
have any tips of clay barring and what to get?

k-red
05-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Mother's Clay Bar kit - Autozone $16

alen
05-16-2005, 03:43 PM
I used Mother's Clay Bar bought at Autozone and loved what it did to my 90S. However, if you want to fully detail your car, prepare about three days to work on it with about $100+ bucks worth of products. Useful instructions come with every clay bar products and you might want to visit AW's Detailing forum for further instructions.

HazeJz36
05-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Car looks great now... Got ne before pics?

dsswain
05-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Any state other than NH I would Mandate Tint on that wagon, I know they suck up there for that.

I just picked up this Black S4 Avant (Previous 2001 Santorin A4 Avant) and I knew I would miss the black roof rails the 1.8T has, and I do. And I have chrome mirrors blehhhh. Actually it's ok, but I'd preffer all black like you have.

Car looks great.

Kruat
05-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Looks great, BTW, whats hiding in the garage?

alen
05-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by dsswain
Any state other than NH I would Mandate Tint on that wagon, I know they suck up there for that.

I just picked up this Black S4 Avant (Previous 2001 Santorin A4 Avant) and I knew I would miss the black roof rails the 1.8T has, and I do. And I have chrome mirrors blehhhh. Actually it's ok, but I'd preffer all black like you have.

Car looks great.

wanna trade?

boosteda4
05-16-2005, 05:29 PM
looks like an IS300 to me.. ??

A4 in SC
05-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Looks friggin' great Steve. Turned out very nice! I only wish my paint was in that good of shape. Previous owner took care of it maintenance wise, but it has quite a few scrapes and scratches on it (especially the rear bumper).

Thanks for sharing the pics!

BTW, yours is Volcano Black, right? It doesn't appear to be as 'black' as my Brilliant. Am I wrong?

Looks like the car in the garage is a 3 series BMW to me. No, not the one behind his car. The one in the garage looks like a 2 door and the one behind him a sedan...

Mike

Kruat
05-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Ya, I think your right, 3 series.

derek2079
05-16-2005, 10:48 PM
did you use a polish?

alen
05-16-2005, 11:40 PM
i think that looks like an E30 or the E28?

VRsic
05-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Man, I wish I had an avant...

Audi A4 1.8T
05-17-2005, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by A4 in SC

BTW, yours is Volcano Black, right? It doesn't appear to be as 'black' as my Brilliant. Am I wrong?

i beleive its ebony black pearl, atleast thats what my color is called on my 2000 a4... looks to be the same as his

A4 in SC
05-17-2005, 06:35 AM
Ahh, OK. I knew I could be wrong, but it didn't look like Brillant to me. I think Anth's 99.5 was Volcano, and that's what I was thinking of. Looks more like a very dark grey in person. Of course, I love the color!

IndieRockSteve
05-17-2005, 06:38 AM
I used the mother's clay bar kit, 2 of em, plus a third bar(about 2/3's left) that my friend had left over, then i used Meguirs #83 and #9(for getting rid of the scratches. they both worked wonders, not everything was fixed, but what it did do amazed both of us), followed by 2 Klasse(sp?) products to finish off(i'll get the names of the exact ones). We used Cobra microfiber cloths and the Meguirs orbital velcro pads(both worked great, much recommendations). I have a couple pics that i have to prepare to put online of a section of the rear door showing the difference the #83 made.

i worked from ~9am-midnight on sat. and sun., so yes, ~3 days worth of work... I used a lot of my friend products, which he buys in bulk, but still ended up spending $80 on my own stuff. granted, I bought in bulk and have a lot of some stuff left over.

I don't know the exact color name, but its black, a deep metallic black.
I plan on doing a 360 tint soon. my only issue is the backwoods roads with little to no lighting around me(ie 90% of em). i guess i'll have to put hid's in my driving lights too... that makes it a very expensive tint job!

i have a few before pics on my friends camera, or the pics i posted a few days back. just click the images through to my photo album and look at any of my old pics.

my friends got a 325xi and the other car in the garage is the other tennent's car, its a '98 323is (same as my sister's car actually).

yea, exhaust tips come next, and yes, the car is already dirty(it rained my whole way home), but at least now it will wash easily and actually get clean when I do!

Tips for clay barring - do it out of direct sunlight, the spray burns off at a low temp. when the sun came out that day(it was overcast) it dried up very quickly. straight, long strokes with minimal pressure and make sure the paint is good and wet with the spray, no swirling! you should feel it removing the dirt and when your done in a section the clay will slide with no sense of resistance. you'll also be able to feel the difference with your bare finger when your done, it should feel like glass.

Mike, don't give up hope on your paint yet! i had lots of scratches that came out or hid well. i still have lots of rock chips too, but even with all that the car looks great. Do some research in the forums and prepare to spend some $$ and time, but I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results. I'd also recommend getting 2-3x the amount you think you'll need. I went through 3 orbital pads and ~3 clay bars, and buy the chemicals in their bulk sizes. Spend as much time as necessary at each step to get it right as the next step's quality will be determined by the previous step. I spent 4 hours just clay barring, ~10hrs with the #83 and #9. the rest went fairly quickly as they were one pass application. #83 was 3x per section in the good areas, more so in the bad areas. the hood and roof I did 4-5 passes with the orbital...

A4 in SC
05-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, the paint itself isn't that bad. I just wish the rear bumper wasn't as chipped as it is. Sure, I could have it resprayed, but I'd like to make do with what I have at the moment.

The before and after is amazing Steve. I know you're very happy, even if it did take forever. I had mine cut and buffed last year, and it turned out GREAT. I had it professionally cleaned ($110) the day before a show, and drove down in a freakin' monsoon to get there. Ticked me off to no end, but at least it was alot easier to clean with a nice coat on her. Nothing like a clean (black) car!

I have quite a bit of cleaning/polishing materials in my possession as well. In my life right now, I just didn't have the time to commit to it as I would like, so that's why I paid a good friend of mine to do it. I know he does a great job, as I used to detail cars for a living. It wasn't nearly as fun or profitable as I had hoped. I guess I'm just a stickler for getting cars as close to perfect as I can. That's the main reason it wasn't as profitable as I would have liked.

Oh yeah, time to change your sig again Steve!

Mike

SteelBlueXI
05-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Steve, I still can't believe how great your car turned out. Nor can i believe how much clay we went through... or how many buffing pads for the orbital we chewed up. Well worth it in the end, though. [:D]

For people interested in the detailing process, we used some Meguiars dual action cleaner polish to restore the paint. The stuff is pretty abrasive so I wouldn't recommend using it on newer paint or paint in good condition, but if you really need something to buff out swirls and scratches.. this is it. That being said, we still had to crank the orbital up to max speed and make multiple passes over the whole car.

We followed up with some Meguiars SMR to round out the remaining deep scratches and clean up any haze that may have remained. There weren't many scratches left though. The DACP got 95% of them out.

Next we used a hand application of Klasse all in one polish. This is a polish that cleans the paint, fills in scratches with oils so they're harder to see and then seals it in with an acrylic coating. The acrylic coat preps the paint for the next stage..

Next we used Klasse sealant glaze. This stuff smooths out the surface perfectly and gives the car a mirror like wet look. When used over a coat of Klasse AIO this stuff will last almost a full year provided you hand wash the car. SG is a bitch to work with, but well worth it. It also takes 12-24 hours to dry depending on temp and humidity.

The down side of Klasse SG is that it's a synthetic coat and the finish has a wet look, but it's shallow. This is because it's synthetic. To get a deep, rich look you need a natural wax. I recommend P21S since it's a pure mix of caranuba and bees wax. No white residue and very easy to work with. You can put it over the SG, which produces stunning results, but once you wax the car you can't put anymore glaze on it. Glaze won't stick to wax. Also, they wax doesn't last long.. only a couple months tops.. but even if it wears off the SG will still hold strong.

In the pictures Steve's car has a top coat of Klasse SG on it because the SG wasn't done drying yet. I had done my coat of SG the previous day so in the pictures, my car has a coat of P21S.

And "A4 in SC", you have good eyes. The car in the garage is my neighbor's AC Schnitzer E36 323. :)

AudiSnawb
05-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Looks awesome Steve- We live so close- we need to hang out sometime- I have some scratches- DEEP ones that I could use some help getting out *cough cough*...............

SoleMate
05-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Looks great! You're on coils...so slam taht sucker!!

IndieRockSteve
05-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by AudiSnawb
Looks awesome Steve- We live so close- we need to hang out sometime- I have some scratches- DEEP ones that I could use some help getting out *cough cough*...............

yea, we should. I'll definitly help out. I've got limited knowledge, but I do know how to get scratches out =)

I'll PM you next time i have a free weekend,

Hassmeister
05-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Give us a real close-up in day light and no flash attachment. Then we can really evaluate your job.

Looks nice and clean from what I can tell. Yet, I don't notice depth and brillance. Maybe, that the flash is spoiling it all.
I'm and old Detailing guy since '77.

SteelBlueXI
05-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve
yea, we should. I'll definitly help out. I've got limited knowledge, but I do know how to get scratches out =)
So I guess this means you're buying an orbital now? :)
Let me know when you're ordering and I'll help you pick stuff out.

Originally posted by Hassmeister
Looks nice and clean from what I can tell. Yet, I don't notice depth and brillance. Maybe, that the flash is spoiling it all.
I'm and old Detailing guy since '77.
Steve's car in these pictures has no wax on it, so there won't be any depth. At the time of the pictures it just an acrylic glaze which will give you the wet look, but no wax. The glaze is used to smooth out the surface, giving it shine, and because it's a synthetic so it's durable. It had not dried yet so we didn't wax over it. Once the glaze dries, however, you can wax over it provided it's not a cleaner wax. The idea is to use the wax to give it depth, but if the wax wears off (as it tends to do rather quickly) you still have the protection of the glaze which still affords you a good shine.

In the one picture of my car Steve got it has a fresh coat of P21S wax on it.

Hassmeister
05-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by SteelBlueXI
So I guess this means you're buying an orbital now? :)
Let me know when you're ordering and I'll help you pick stuff out.

Steve's car in these pictures has no wax on it, so there won't be any depth. At the time of the pictures it just an acrylic glaze which will give you the wet look, but no wax. The glaze is used to smooth out the surface, giving it shine, and because it's a synthetic so it's durable. It had not dried yet so we didn't wax over it. Once the glaze dries, however, you can wax over it provided it's not a cleaner wax. The idea is to use the wax to give it depth, but if the wax wears off (as it tends to do rather quickly) you still have the protection of the glaze which still affords you a good shine.

In the one picture of my car Steve got it has a fresh coat of P21S wax on it.

Ahhh, so in other words (Readers Digest Version)... it's a partial detail.

IndieRockSteve
05-20-2005, 10:49 AM
yea., hopefully get a chance next weekend to wax it =)

and yea, I need to buy an orbital...

SteelBlueXI
05-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve
yea., hopefully get a chance next weekend to wax it =)

and yea, I need to buy an orbital...
Make sure whatever you use is 100% natural wax with no fillers or cleaning agents. P21S works well. :)

4BUCK
05-20-2005, 03:59 PM
haha, car doesn't look BLUE anymore! mmmm, shiny!

Hassmeister
05-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Meguair's is the best over-the-counter out there!

A4 in SC
05-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Agreed! ^^^^

SteelBlueXI
05-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Hassmeister
Meguair's is the best over-the-counter out there!
I've used their paste wax before and I was very happy with the results. I find P21S to be slightly better and much easier to work with but it's much more expensive and, as you pointed out, isn't "over the counter". I've never seen it in any stores. I always have to order it online.

[]D[][]V[][]D
05-21-2005, 06:55 PM
you said youll never treat your car or your paint so poorly ever again, what did you or did you not do to treat your car so poorly?