PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid recommendations?

nramsey
05-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to change out my transmission and diff fluids soon and am looking for recommendations on what fluids people have tried and recommend. My car is fairly stiff going into second gear when the car is cold, and if I shift too fast I get a little grind. Once the car warms up everything is much smoother, so I'm hoping changing the gear oil will help.

Anyone have similar issues that were helped by a change of fluid? If so, what did you use?

Thanks,

RushinS13
05-15-2005, 12:02 PM
From everything I hear Redline is the way to go. I havent personally used it but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

jent
05-15-2005, 05:08 PM
i used redline in my last car, had some long term syncro problems, but i most likely will put redline in my car this summer too, since it is about that time.

IndieRockSteve
05-15-2005, 05:11 PM
what about mobil 1 ATF?

cbass
05-15-2005, 06:44 PM
I haven't heard too much on Mobil 1, but I can attest to Redline in other transmissions besides Audi's. I have put it in our Land Rovers and it made a world of difference. On the rover that we bought new, we put Redline in since the truck was new and we have never had problems with the transmission. The other rover that we just bought (a '95) had never had redline in it and had some major synchro issues going into second, especially when it got hot. We put Redline in and within a day or two (after the fluid worked in), you could almost shift normally into second, it was amazing the difference it made. Unfortunately I have a tip in the A4, so I can't attest to what it does in Audis, but it's been great everywhere else and I would recommend it to anyone.

A4 in SC
05-15-2005, 08:56 PM
I have Redline in my tranny and rear diff. I love knowing they are 'properly protected'. However, I still notice that I have a little trouble getting it into second gear when it's very cold outside until it warms up. To be honest though, that's really not a bad thing. That just means that the fluid is doing it's job, IMO.

audispeed
05-15-2005, 09:10 PM
i bought redine for the rear diff, and BG Syncroshift for the tranny after asking a bunch of people here. Unfortunately, I have gotten around to actually changing the fluids [wrench]

nramsey
05-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by jent
i used redline in my last car, had some long term syncro problems, but i most likely will put redline in my car this summer too, since it is about that time.

I had the same experiences with my Miata. Put Redline MTL in it first about 5 years ago, and while it improved shifting initially second gear grind is as bad as ever and I've changed the fluid out again twice since...probably going to go a different route with the Audi.

I read good things about the BG Syncromesh II in a search I did...might try that, but it's not cheap!

RushinS13
05-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Also I think that Royal Purple makes tranny fluid as well. They're supposed to make amazing stuff.

A4Rob
05-16-2005, 12:32 PM
redline mt90

(i think the letter part is mt90)

Daft
05-16-2005, 01:31 PM
The manual tranny requires a GL-4 ONLY fluid. This means that you cannot use a fluid that is rated to meet GL-4 and GL-5 ratings. GL-5 is made with a higher sulfur content. The sulfur is corrosive to soft metals like copper and brass.

The syncronizers in your transmission are made from brass (IIRC) and over time a GL-5 fluid will wear them down, making shifting tough.

I've been using BG Syncroshift II in mine since last summer. It's been smooth as silk. The one thing that I want to point out is that gear oil isn't going to make shifting improve. The factory fill on the A4 is a very good oil and when I dumped mine out last summer it had about 90,000 miles on it. It was extremely clean. Since I was perpared to change it anyway, I pumped in the BG.

If you are having a tough time getting into gear and/or are grinding, you have more issues than an oil will fix. You might have a clutch disc that is almost worn out or perhaps a previous owner used a GL-5 and your syncros are worn thinner than specs allow.

If you are going to use a Redline fluid, you would need Redline MT-90. It is a true GL-4 and I spoke to Redline last year to confirm that it would be compatible with the Audi tranny.

IndieRockSteve
05-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Daft, what do you know about oil for the Tip tranny's?

RafyA4
05-16-2005, 04:50 PM
I've got redline in my tip for about 15,000 miles and no problems to date! Jjust make sure you get the right one!

Daft
05-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve
Daft, what do you know about oil for the Tip tranny's?

Both Redline and BG make a synthetic ATF but, I would recommend that you call them to ask about compatibility.

nramsey
05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info Daft. I'll try changing out the fluid and if it doesn't help I'll probably take it to the dealer. The car is still under CPO warranty for 2 more years, so maybe they'll just replace or rebuild it if it gets any worse.