PDA

View Full Version : V-Band flanged manifolds

prodrive
05-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi folks,

what do you thing about the vband manifolds pros and cons compared to T3 manifolds. I cracked my T3 manifold several times after racing and studs back of almost in ever race.
Therefore, I may buy a tubular manifold with vband flange. Due to vband design, I will eliminate the stud issue however I am not sure about the cracking from the flange area.

What's your experiance ?

M-Hood
05-18-2012, 07:47 AM
With the T3 manifolds you really want to run ARP bolts which will not back out if you torque all 4 down at 45 ft/lbs.

As for V-band, those can still tend to leak. My down pipe is V-band at the back of the turbo and it tends to loosen or leak after a while.

prodrive
05-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Mike, I have tried almost everthing arp studs, nord locks, recommended tork, etc. the problem is probably the manifold design. Its one of 034' s first tubular manifold which they relised and stoped producing some time ago.. the worst thing is tightening the nuts ..its pita to do that due to the location of the flange. If vband gets lose you can tighten it just with one nut. Moreover, the weight of the turbo will be less due to tial turbine

Seerlah
05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Mike was saying to use ARP bolts, not studs with locking nuts. I fixed my backing out issue by switching to ARP bolts. No more studs for me. Using ARP bolts on both the turbo and downpipe flange. I don't track my car though, so they won't see as much stress as your vehicle.

bw86
05-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Just put exhaust repair putty on the bolt/stud/nut and they wont back out/off.

A lot cheaper than buying new hardware.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ATEP9YYRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
~$5

spindoctor
05-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Just put exhaust repair putty on the bolt/stud/nut and they wont back out/off.

A lot cheaper than buying new hardware.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ATEP9YYRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
~$5

Reckon its a good idea to put them on the flange surface for those who's not running any gasket on their manifold to turbo flange or/and turbo to downpipe?

bw86
05-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Reckon its a good idea to put them on the flange surface for those who's not running any gasket on their manifold to turbo flange or/and turbo to downpipe?

ehh - I'd rather get both surfaces milled