PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Front calipers stuck after swapping rear rotors and pads!! WTF MATE!!

lassy
05-16-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't think I'm an idiot, but I don't understand what's going on. I swapped the rear rotors and pads on my A4 tonight and before leaving the driveway, I pumped up the brakes until the pedal was firm, then as I let the clutch out, the car wouldn't move. I jacked up the rear really quick to check and see if the wheels would spin and both rears turn fine. I went to the front and that's where the problem is. With the front tires off the ground, I can't turn either one.

What the F*CK happened?!

Help guys

I didn't have the brake res. cap off when I compressed the rear calipers so I may have pressurized the system in a weird way. I will compress the front calipers tomorrow with the brake res cap off, bleed a little fluid out, and then see if that fixes everything.

Corrado_Guy
05-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Did you force the rear caliper pistons in like you would the fronts or did you properly turn the rear caliper pistons in counter-clockwise while pushing them in?

bw86
05-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Did you force the rear caliper pistons in like you would the fronts or did you properly turn the rear caliper pistons in counter-clockwise while pushing them in?

this.

the rears are turned in, not compressed

10kredline
05-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Yea, try bleed some of the fluid out with the cap off.

lassy
05-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Okay guys, got it figured out last Wednesday night. When I remounted my wheels/tires, I installed an ECS tuning set of locking wheel bolts for aftermarket wheels. I am running FLIK Justice wheels and never paid attention to how long the new lock bolts were. My luck, they were 3mm longer than the standard bolts. When fully tightened, the front bolts were contacting the hub, thus locking the front wheels and immobilizing the car.

I feel a little silly, but it was just one of those things I overlooked. But now I have a freshly bled brake system, some fresh brake fluid, new rear rotors and new rear pads. Don't tell anyone my wheels aren't locked!! haha

Thanks for the replies guys.