PDA

View Full Version : FWD in houston texas....

scboost
05-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey all.

I just picked up a 97 FWD with cloth sport seats 1.8t auto. I got the thing from this forum for 1700!!! everything works and all the maint is prestine!! I really want to start modding it and such and am looking for a 5spd conversion. I was planning on using one of the oh so ready available passat trans. Will this work? Also i plan on building the spare motor the owner gave me and going to a t3/t4 setup around 350hp.. will a FWD be ok for me or am i wasting my time and should get a AWD? all i do is roll runs from a 40 anyways.. The interior and body are really clean on this car and has no rust since it is a souther vehicle. Your opinions are appreciated!!

audinutt
05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Keep it and have fun with it.. I had a 1.8t fwd until I racked up 240k miles.. my sister is still driving it 3yrs later.

Not sure on the manual swap but I do know that the crankshaft is different on an auto so it is out of the question without an engine swap.

NeedingAnAudi
05-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Keep it and have fun with it.. I had a 1.8t fwd until I racked up 240k miles.. my sister is still driving it 3yrs later.

Not sure on the manual swap but I do know that the crankshaft is different on an auto so it is out of the question without an engine swap.

[rolleyes]

Biketsai's DIY Auto to Manual Conversion (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/299543-5-Biketsai-s-DIY-Auto-to-Manual-Conversion)
Another 5 Speed Swap (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/415035-Another-5-Speed-swap)
YET another 5 speed swap (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/420732-YET-another-5-speed-swap-in-progress?highlight=5-speed+swap)

audinutt
05-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I was pretty sure the b5 crank was different from auto to manual.. can anyone confirm this Mr. Rolleyes don't have to be like that.I wasn't aware that someone came up with a solution

coolgraymemo
05-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I wae pretty sure the b5 crank was different from auto to manual.. can anyone confirm this Mr. Rolleyes don't have to be like that.I wasn't aware that someone came up with a solution

Read the first link Alex posted.

Or just click the link; ctrl + f; type in "crank."

scboost
05-16-2012, 08:20 PM
i already know all about it. read biketsais diy a few months ago. can we stay more toward my general questions?

coolgraymemo
05-16-2012, 08:29 PM
The Passat transmission should work. "The Pirate" is doing pretty much the same thing as you right now (IIRC he hasn't started).

Quattro vs. Fronttrak should not be much of a "problem." There is a forum member on here (Gaberossi?) that has a BAT and is still FWD.

scboost
05-16-2012, 08:47 PM
The Passat transmission should work. "The Pirate" is doing pretty much the same thing as you right now (IIRC he hasn't started).

Quattro vs. Fronttrak should not be much of a "problem." There is a forum member on here (Gaberossi?) that has a BAT and is still FWD.

thanks man.. i really would like a quattro but i dont see how it would benefit me enough to find another car when im becoming quite attached to this one. i guess i could always build it up then just swap the motor and parts i put on this car to a quattro in the future if i pick up a shell or something.

andyrew
05-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Go talk to the Honda guys out there running 300+hp (Plenty of turbo D's and B's out there..). You wont have much torquesteer with the equal length CV's, but traction will be a problem. Probably wont have any grip under full boost in first or 2nd gear. So you will most likely have to run lower boost in those gears. Its a highway cruiser, not an in town killer. It depends where you spend most of your driving IMHO.

biketsai
05-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I had a buddy running a 350-400hp gt2871r eliminator 1.8T FWD. I never noticed any spinning out/torque steer when we went out to Mexico highways

howardfootball
05-17-2012, 03:17 AM
I think Gabe is shooting for 500whp if he hasn't already done so.

scboost
05-17-2012, 04:48 AM
I had a buddy running a 350-400hp gt2871r eliminator 1.8T FWD. I never noticed any spinning out/torque steer when we went out to Mexico highways

i love mexico highways[;)] also dude... since your like the only dude here in texas would you be opposed to helping me to my 5spd swap for cash?????i would still be supplying tools and working on the vehicle but would like a lil expertise. all i have owned before this is 1jz sc, 06 Mustang Gt, and hondas. This is my first euro

s3apra4
05-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the Zine! Nice to see another member from Houston. If I can help out let me know.
I have the manual 1.8t crank that is required for your swap, along with many other parts that came off my car and are just sitting in the garage.
PM me