PDA

View Full Version : CV joint question

Seerlah
05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I was driving today and then heard a faint clicking noise. I pinpointed it to the outer cv joint, and the boot was missing the outer locking ring. I guess the grease sort of dried up by now. My question is do you think this CV joint can come back to life if I regrease it and replace the boot? Or is it already at the point of no return?

Edit: Nvmd, just did some searching. Going to bite the bullet and just pick up a whole axle from JHM.

Seerlah
05-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Ok, question. Are the 2.8 and 1.8t front driver's side axles the same with a manual transmission (2001 AWM Quattro is what I have)? Found one for cheap used (OEM), but came off a 2.8.

mysman
05-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Really depends on how many miles on the old CV joint as to whether it's worth repacking or not. Hard to believe it went dry without you noticing all that grease, lol. I did both my outer CV joints and boots, once you have everything apart, it's just as easy to replace them. The old ones looked good though, they make neat paperweights. Most people just get replacement axles, as you know, but I wanted to keep my OE axles. If you do your own, you'll need to buy special pliers for the cinch (locking) rings. I got the Lobro GKN 8D0498099B CV joint, as close to OE as I could find, and the box looked German and all, but said "Made in Taiwan".

Seerlah
05-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I found a used OEM axle from a 2001 from a 2.8 manual transmission, and want to know if it will bolt right up to the 1.8t manual transmission. I know the transmissions are interchangeable, so I want to confirm.

Edit: Nvmd, found the part numbers match. Ebay special FTW!

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Axle/ES7995/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Search/Axle/ES7995/

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks for posting the links! Ive replaced my OE axles with these on my DD and put 40k miles on them, so far they've held up great!

Jason

walky_talky20
05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Mitch, once the joint starts clicking, it's done. And the axles are definitely the same. For my 5MT swap I got axles from the junkyard. Rather than be super-specific (ie: "That Guy") and say "A4, 1.8T, 5MT, Front axles: 2001 ONLY" (which they had exactly zero of), I just told them I wanted front axles for a 2.8 manual trans. They had plenty of those, same thing. Come to think of it, the only legit "1.8T" part I used in my swap was the clutch kit, and even that was for a B6. All the other parts were 2.8, S4, or Coupe Quattro stuff. Like legos I tell ya.

Seerlah
05-16-2012, 02:31 PM
This puts a damper on things. I planned on going on my mechanic's cruise on the 3rd of next month, and just hope my car will be up and ready by then. I want free food!!! Picked up the axle used on ebay for like $65 after shipping (not great, but not bad), and $30 after shipping on JHM for a new axle bolt and flange gasket. Now, just need to play the waiting game.

The outer locking ring was just missing on my outer boot. That's what I like to call "that bullsh*t". I was on my way to the gym, heard the noise, and turned my *** right around. lol. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my afternoon. I absolutely hate working on my car. Most of us I am sure already hit that breaking point. At first I liked the fact of fixing my own car. But when it's fix after fix after fix, it sort or kills the joy. Hopefully this will be the last fix needed for a while. Oh, I need to replace my upper CAs. They still have life in them, but they need to be replaced (passenger's side pinch bolt is what's making me lazy on getting it done. driver's side comes out with ease, and I placed anti-sieze on it). All others have been replaced, minus sway bar links.

Seerlah
05-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Hey Keith, anyway you can score me this axle for cheap anywhere local to you and you ship it to me? I'll even throw you a couple dollars. The person I purchased the axle from pulled it off the shelf to find it defective and granted me a refund. I've been looking on FS ads like crazy looking for one now. It's the left front unit I need.

$teady$upreme
05-17-2012, 02:42 AM
I just repacked my CV joint, such a dirty messy job. Yah if they are clicking, you should replace them.

Kinda on topic, you know those special clamp for the CV boot, i don't have that fancy pliers to pull them tight, i used some zip ties for the CV boot. Do you think they will last and hold the boot in place?

Gumby
05-17-2012, 03:15 AM
^ i doubt it. i tried to get away without using them when i replaced a cv on my allroad, and it shot grease all over the place.

walky_talky20
05-17-2012, 04:20 AM
^Yeah, Harbor Freight yourself some of those fancy pliers. Not sure if you guys have Harbor Freight...what is it? Canadian Tire or something? If it's the OE style clamp, you just need a pair of these guys:
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-heavy-duty-end-nipper-38496.html

Gumby
05-17-2012, 05:29 AM
^ i don't think they have Harbor Freight. the closest one to him is right over the border in Bellingham where i live. but your right, Canadian tire should have a set cheap.

Seerlah
05-17-2012, 06:50 AM
I picked up those pliers from ebay a while ago. Search hard enough and I'm sure you can score one for like $5 shipped. Can't recall how much I paid for mine.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=clamp+pliers&_sacat=0&_odkw=hose+clamp+pliers&_osacat=0

thenj3
05-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Mitch maybe just go to local auto store and pick one up so you can go out for the cruise. also when i ordered my axles from jhm, the axle bolts they sent me where wrong, so hopefully they send you the correct ones.

Seerlah
05-17-2012, 08:37 AM
I noticed the difference between the AWM axle bolt was a 5mm length difference (16x1.5x77 and 16x1.5x72). Hopefully they send me the correct one. I actually just bought an axle thanks to Keith (walky_talky20) for $55 shipped, used OEM. Not too bad, and it ships from one state over. I'm thinking of ordering the bolt from a place I know will have my correct one, just in case. But those bolts are at least $10 a pop before shipping.

I have one at my house that is 77 mm in length. I need the one that is 72mm in length, and will confirm when it arrives. But I'm hoping all parts arrive by Saturday and I can fix my car asap. My car is still driveable, but there is always the chance the cv joint will give completely out and I will be stranded on the side of the road (no torque for that wheel).

walky_talky20
05-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Never had a problem reusing those bolts. Just torque to spec. No worries.

Seerlah
05-17-2012, 09:19 AM
I thought they were stretch bolts?

redline380
05-17-2012, 09:54 AM
ive taken my passanger side one out about four times now and have always reused it. you are suppose to change them but i think its unnecessary. just reuse it

mysman
05-17-2012, 10:18 AM
I noticed the difference between the AWM axle bolt was a 5mm length difference (16x1.5x77 and 16x1.5x72). Hopefully they send me the correct one. I actually just bought an axle thanks to Keith (walky_talky20) for $55 shipped, used OEM. Not too bad, and it ships from one state over. I'm thinking of ordering the bolt from a place I know will have my correct one, just in case. But those bolts are at least $10 a pop before shipping.

I have one at my house that is 77 mm in length. I need the one that is 72mm in length, and will confirm when it arrives. But I'm hoping all parts arrive by Saturday and I can fix my car asap. My car is still driveable, but there is always the chance the cv joint will give completely out and I will be stranded on the side of the road (no torque for that wheel).

Which is why I decided to stick with my original axles. Then there are potential issues with refurbished axles, ie, hollow vs. solid, balanced vs. unbalanced.

thenj3
05-17-2012, 06:57 PM
They are stretch bolts I've never had a problem refusing them. i signed up for that cruise past week. gotta order some new tires and break them in so i can shred bear mountain. maybe i can get some tuning sessions in before that as well

Seerlah
05-17-2012, 10:35 PM
I'll see you at the meet, Aaron. Free food FTW!!!

16psi is all I can do on the stock clutch, but it def moves. I'll more than likely bring some beer with me, so you can scrounge off of me [cool]. Thinking Bud Light Platinum will do justice. I have 2 people local to me taking the cruise with me. One with a B5 S4 and the other with a B7 A4. Actually just got in from club/bar hopping with one of them. It was an enjoyable night.

thenj3
05-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Ok cool maybe we can get some pulls in as well. Im not too happy with the way my car is running so who knows maybe you will beat me

Seerlah
05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm not the racer type, but the type to enjoy my vehicle. We can get a few pulls in, though [;)]. I dare not drop the clutch from a stop though, so it will need to be a rolling start. I only do that in the snow, because I have no idea if the stock clutch will weld itself together or not. If I had my FX400 installed, I would not care.