PDA

View Full Version : Comparing setups....(ko4 to 28rs)



AB18
05-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Hey guys, Tomritt and I have done a lil comparison with our diff setups. We all know in the 1/4, a 28rs is going to kill a ko4 car. So tom and I both made similair vids, while taping the tach to get the hard facts. The best comparrison numbers we got(most accurate) were a 20 to 60 run.Someone else timed the vids to get a unbiased number. And the ko4 car got to 60 in about .8 sec faster, the times were about 5.4 to 5.5 to 6.3 to 6.4. Moral of the story, after about 70mph, the 28rs pull like a mother, and will outrun a ko4 car with no problems. Up the 70mph, a ko4 will have a slight the edge if properly tuned. Tom was on a stock clutch, so he didnt get any runs from a dig to avoid frying it. Again, these numbers are not hard facts, just what we have come up with.

derek2079
05-12-2005, 07:48 PM
thats cool, thats what i kind of figured

mike-2ptzero
05-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by AB18
Hey guys, Tomritt and I have done a lil comparison with our diff setups. We all know in the 1/4, a 28rs is going to kill a ko4 car. So tom and I both made similair vids, while taping the tach to get the hard facts. The best comparrison numbers we got(most accurate) were a 20 to 60 run.Someone else timed the vids to get a unbiased number. And the ko4 car got to 60 in about .8 sec faster, the times were about 5.4 to 5.5 to 6.3 to 6.4. Moral of the story, after about 70mph, the 28rs pull like a mother, and will outrun a ko4 car with no problems. Up the 70mph, a ko4 will have a slight the edge if properly tuned. Tom was on a stock clutch, so he didnt get any runs from a dig to avoid frying it. Again, these numbers are not hard facts, just what we have come up with.

What gear was these runs done in?

AB18
05-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Mike, both were done starting it 1st about 3k, and then into 2nd. 3rd gear is where u really see the 28rs pull, that is gear u will get passed in. The ko4 had the advantage up to about 60 or 70mph. But after that, your going to get passed no matter what.

bitterchild
05-12-2005, 08:33 PM
when my clutch breaks in we can run all day long :)

joeya103
05-12-2005, 08:43 PM
you say the k04 got to 60 faster...but that was from 20 right, or from 0? if the k04 is faster 0-60, that's impressive. i'm a low-end guy anyway.

BranCKY3
05-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Yea k04's are torquey as hell.

k0mpresd
05-12-2005, 09:54 PM
a k04 spools a lot sooner than a 28rs and makes torque faster, thats why its quicker in lower speeds, a 28rs would murder a ko4 on a highway run

bitterchild
05-12-2005, 10:35 PM
well if I can get a decent spool up launch then the difference should be made up by the top of 2nd.

TomRitt18944
05-13-2005, 03:06 AM
Btw it should be noted the gt28rs, had a boost spike to 19psi then immediatly dropped to 16psi. My exhaust manifold is also cracked in 2 spots, so I am going to fix it this weekend and post another vid at 20psi! Then we will see :)

k0mpresd
05-13-2005, 04:09 AM
excuses excuses [:D]

AB18
05-13-2005, 05:07 AM
No, there good exuses, I forget to mention it.

EuroA4
05-13-2005, 07:52 AM
I think Tom will be faster with the car back in shape...I've run with another GT28RS and it is really close...but I would never say that I had an edge with the KO4 over the GT28RS.

jrodmk2
05-13-2005, 08:04 AM
tom where is it cracked at. you have a"custom" manifold right. fat weld els.

i thought for a second you had a atp manifold. and said holy sh!t how the hell did you crack that sucka?

AB18
05-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Yeah, he will deff be faster with his car running at 100%.

EuroA4
05-13-2005, 08:54 AM
at least it was nice while it lasted :)

IndieRockSteve
05-13-2005, 10:19 AM
looking forward to the test after the manifold is fixed.

what software is the K04 setup running?

TomRitt18944
05-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Yea I did having it running pretty close to 100% a couple weeks ago and it was insane, although only at 19psi.

Is cracked in 3 places, one is the center weld, another is at the turbo flange, and the 3rd is where one tube connects to the head flange.

Here's a pic of the center crack, the biggest one, I tried welding it as you can see but it cracked again in the first heat cycle.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/tomritt18944/P5070105.jpg

I also found a fuel leak last night from when i put the fuel pump in. I need to put a new gasket on the cap. the biggest issue however is tuning. I leave huge clouds of black smoke sometimes so big that I cannot see the cars behind me. Once I get this properly tuned, which I hafta call about right now, it would be a different story...

Of course they are all excuses but they are the truth and def change things a bit

mike-2ptzero
05-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
a k04 spools a lot sooner than a 28rs and makes torque faster, thats why its quicker in lower speeds, a 28rs would murder a ko4 on a highway run

That is only true on a low rpm roll or if you launch both cars at the same low rpms. A good driver will know where to launch that bigger turbo within the power band allowing him to stay with the smaller turbo. Look at my GT35R, I can still put down a 1.804 60 ft time and 0-60 in mid 4's while making about the same tq as the 28rs and K04.

TomRitt18944
05-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Yea true...damn i really need a clutch, stock clutch is getting old very quickly

AB18
05-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah, when tom gets it all running right, it will be a beast. And we will have alot different results.

mike-2ptzero
05-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by TomRitt18944
Yea true...damn i really need a clutch, stock clutch is getting old very quickly

Well when your ready for a real clutch that will hold anything you throw at it let me know.

TomRitt18944
05-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I have heard but I'm too poor so I think I'm going southbend, pm the price of your suggested clutch if you get a minute. Also I'm not sure if your familiar with the gt28rs power curve but what would you suggest as the best shift points? Thanks!

TomRitt18944
05-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Not sure if anyones interested but here's my gauges 20mph-100mph, at 16psi with the above excuses[:p]
Video (http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Tach)

94jedi
05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
man that sounds burly!!!! Very nice...

B5A4
05-13-2005, 05:20 PM
nice vid that sounds bad ass.

bitterchild
05-13-2005, 06:14 PM
I cheaped out on juan's clutch. Went Southbend ofe w/ the SS. The next turbo will be working on a WOA though.

mike-2ptzero
05-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by TomRitt18944
I have heard but I'm too poor so I think I'm going southbend, pm the price of your suggested clutch if you get a minute. Also I'm not sure if your familiar with the gt28rs power curve but what would you suggest as the best shift points? Thanks!

Well I shift using my butt dyno, the GT28rs should peak near 6k-6500 rpms so taking it to redline isn't a problem.


Well I will see what I have on hand.

bitterchild
05-13-2005, 06:34 PM
mike- what's your current power output and clutch setup? If it's not too much trouble could you humor me w/ a quote for the most streetable setup for 2871ish power?

tom- can you email me the vid? I'd like to save it for a very rough benchmark. Gotta figure out how to make my cam take video.

TomRitt18944
05-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Yea I will send you a new vid this weekend once i get some of the leaks fixed.

Mike-thanks I appreciate it!

mike-2ptzero
05-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by bitterchild
mike- what's your current power output and clutch setup? If it's not too much trouble could you humor me w/ a quote for the most streetable setup for 2871ish power?

tom- can you email me the vid? I'd like to save it for a very rough benchmark. Gotta figure out how to make my cam take video.


For your setup I have a few and all of them are streetable. I even drive my car on the street and my clutch is much more of a race clutch then even the race clutch we sell. I have kits that will work with your stock flywheel and kits that come with a 15 lbs LWFW.

My setup
4800psi dual diaphram pressure plate
unsprung 6 puck disk
15 lbs flywheel

Right now I am not sure what my power output is. When I had the cat in I put down 434 whp on a Dyno jet dyno at 24psi. On that run I was very close to maxing out my maf. Now I dont have the cat on the car and I max out the maf at 12psi at the drags and not sure exactly how much boost I can run on a 3rd gear pull on the dyno.

Best setup for you depends on what you want your clutch pedal to feel like.

The dual diaphram clutch setups will give you a slightly stiffer feel at the pedal. If you do want a stiffer feel, then you would want to go with this. Just to let you know, this setup will have a slight chatter sound when your not in gear and the clutch pedal is not pushed in.

Stage 4 "street"
4000 psi dual diaphram pressure plate
sprung 6 puck disk
15 lbs flywheel

We also have a stage 3, but I think I was told it now comes with a dual 3000 psi pressure plate
sprung solid organic disk.
But I will need to double check on that.