PDA

View Full Version : Rusty head lights housing

Gman
05-12-2005, 07:06 PM
I took my TT in to have 1 light in the right side unit replaced (it had burnt out), and the dealer tells me the housng is soooo rusted they can not get the light out. Now I look and I can not see a spot of rust, but I can see that they were working on the head light unit. My deal also tells me that the left side is just as bad. I am going for a 2nd opinion, but has anyone heard of this before. My deal tells me that if I replace the units it will cost $2400.00 My TT is only 4 years old.
Is there anyone out there making after market head light units? I have seen after maket tail lights, but I can not find any after market head lights.
Thanks in advance[tt]

ncttrnl
05-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Unfortunately the headlights are really expensive and there are no aftermarkets...

But WTF rusted? They are plastic. Its possible the socket is just really siezed up and its hard to get out.

What bulb did they need to replace... marker light, turn signal, fog, HID?

Gman
05-12-2005, 07:23 PM
It is the marker light ($10.00 part).
Both of them jusy spin in the socket.

ncttrnl
05-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Gman
It is the marker light ($10.00 part).
Both of them jusy spin in the socket.

That sucks. Thats the one with no wires on the back and the socket clicks in.

As long as your turn signals still work... you may just want to say screw it and not deal with it. You could try ebay to find a busted housing... people sell them for the ballasts and HID wiring. You could also try wiring up a couple universal sockets and just sticking them in the hole with some silicone.

Do you know how to take apart the headlights to do the clear corners? You might be able to get the socket out or fix it with some creative use of silicone or something if you open the housing up.

Good luck man... that sucks. 10 dollar part fails on a 1200 dollar assembly.

Gman
05-14-2005, 07:15 AM
I am thinking of just saying screw it, my signals do work. I am going to look for replacement, because I know the day will come that I need to replace more than just the marker lights. Maybe when I replace the front bumper, for something more aerdynamic. My dealer claims that all the sockets on each head light unit are very rusty. F*cking salt it is everywhere, even when you keep your cars garaged most of the winter!!!![tt] Thanks for letting me vent.

TTara
05-18-2005, 10:26 AM
the parking light bulb socket can stick in place.
I have seen this on 1 of 2 headlights I have modified, and I have modified some 12 headlights. A pliers can help to remove it, or in some extreme cases, you need to open the headlight to remove this socket