PDA

View Full Version : Denso plugs in my A4

badassbaldie
05-12-2005, 03:57 PM
I recently installed a K04 but ran into bad ECU. I put my original ECU (APR chipped) back in and it shutters when load is applied. While idling and driving slow, the car runs fine. I was talking with my GIAC tech (while getting my ECU rechipped) and he said that the Denso Iridium plugs are famous for that in our A4s. Anyone heard of that?

I'm going to put the stock plugs back in to see if it remedies the problem. [headbang] Other possible thoughts were a bad ICM or coil pack.

trakkstar
05-12-2005, 06:08 PM
denso plugs deff do that i have em and they dont last long in our cars

rowdysaudi1
05-12-2005, 06:45 PM
isnt irridium supposed to be stronger? (im no chemist[confused] )

trakkstar
05-12-2005, 07:05 PM
what it is with our cars is that u need a diamond cut tip...i think thats what its called. our cars are deff finiky when it comes to stuff like this

badassbaldie
05-12-2005, 07:29 PM
The thing that irks me is I paid $14 a piece for them. I did notice that the tips are different on our stock plugs.

pigliiit
05-13-2005, 12:23 PM
you need ngk bkr7e's with the k04 and bkr6e's are for chipped k03's, do a search on them , only a couple bucks each.

Daft
05-13-2005, 12:40 PM
well.................

You can run a set of BKR6E plugs with a K04 if you have a upgraded IC and you're running a tight enough gap to prevent misfires.

If you have a K04 setup with a stock IC, it will run hotter and the BKR7E will help you draw heat up into the cylinder head to lower exhaust temps.

On a side note, platinum and iridium plugs are absolute garbage on a turbo car. There's just too little of a center electrode and the spark always gets blown out under boost.

Stick with the plain old copper plugs. Until they (the spark plug manufacturers) develop some better iridium/platinum plugs for turbo applications, they're just not going to cut it.

black9918tq
05-13-2005, 12:52 PM
yep i had the same prob a month ago i installed my ko4 and under load it would shutter at about 10 pounds, i checked the car over and over for boost leakes, i took it to shop they told me it was a spark issue i changed out my densos for my stockiez and the prob was solved. now in running ngk type r plugs, they are tripple pronged like stock ones.

badassbaldie
05-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all your help. I just got my GIAC chipped ECU back today so I will be putting it all together this weekend. I'll put the stock plugs back in. I'll let everyone know if it solved the problem.

Peace.

joeya103
05-13-2005, 03:56 PM
always listen to daft, especially when it comes to plugs

badassbaldie
05-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Cool. Anyone want to buy some Denso iridium plugs. Only used for about 2 blocks!! Ha Ha

kil66
05-18-2005, 03:31 AM
daft is right
those plugs suck, those plug dont give a good spark compare to copper plugs
there only meant to last longer then copper plugs

trakkstar
05-18-2005, 06:57 AM
anyone got some park numbers on these plugs? also are these plugs you guys are talkin about ngk, bosh, etc? aslo is the BKR7E the coldest plug u can get? if not which one? thanks guys

Daft
05-18-2005, 07:17 AM
The NGK BKR6E is NGK Stock# 6962

The NGK BKR7E is NGK Stock# 6097

The BKR7E is the coldest plug I can find in that model plug. Honestly, one heat range is more than enough. If you need more than that, you have issues with compressor efficiency or you need a bigger intercooler.

The heat range is used to control combustion temperatures in the cylinder head. A lower heat range will draw more heat into the top of the head to be dissapated by the cooling system. If you have to cold of a heat range, the plugs won't reach their "self-cleaning" temperature and they will start to build up a coating of carbon, thus fouling the plug.

You really only need a cooler heat range if you are battling alot of knock, extreme EGTs or dealing with hot charge air temps.

This is why the cooler plugs would be better suited for use with a larger turbo and the stock IC.

DarkkstaR
05-18-2005, 09:45 AM
I am running a K04 setup with my custom tuning, still in the works. Before I go decreasing requested timing, since my car pulls a few degrees, do you think moving to a stage colder then stock plug will help me gain power in the sense my timing pulled will reduce?

Thanks

Daft
05-18-2005, 09:53 AM
For what you're working on, I'd say that the BKR7E would be a good match. Just make sure to gap it to 0.028".

Just to be sure, you're writing your new ECU programming with the K04, 5 bar FPR and a stock IC?

DarkkstaR
05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Yes. I'm waiting on the 5bar FPR right now, my friend has an adjustable on his Stage 3 VW I'm gonna use.

Stock everything but 5bar and turbo :) - my only other mod is I took my air box out for the cool sound...haha.

Thanks. I know you're one of the smarter guys on the forum, hit me up on AIM sometime. My screen name is twh donny - I could use someone else like you to help me on this project.

soupie69uk
06-08-2005, 06:49 AM
I spoke to audi and the said i should run the IX NGK's as the iridium plugs come as standard on the A4 1.8T's.

They said they would last a lot longer and would give a better spark.

I still bought the BKR7E's (copper) since people one here talk about them. I was wondering if it was because the petrol we have is normally better quiality. Just a thought.

Cheers

Daft
06-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Alright a Scotsman!![up]

When you spoke with Audi they would assume that you are running the car in stock format. If this is true, you can get by with the OEM spec plugs. This is because the boost is still at stock levels and air turbulence in the combustion chamber is calm enough for those plugs with that gap.

It is true that the iridium plugs will last longer because the iridium center electrode is much harder and will resist wear for a longer duration.

With all this being said, a stock ECU program will get along with a stock plug. An upgraded ECU program will not.

soupie69uk
06-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok cool my setup is chipped with a K04. I havent got the K04 software just yet. Also a decat and full system

Cheers