PDA

View Full Version : 17" Wheel opinions

CamrideA4
05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I just found out one of my wheels has a crack in it so I'm going to need some replacements. I'm sticking with 17" because I don't really have the funds to do a whole 18" wheel/tire replacement (unless I can find a killer deal on 18's with tires, like under $1k).

Anyway, I haven't ever really bought new wheels (it's never been on the short list for mods) so I'm not sure where to look. I'd like to lean more towards performance (lighter) than looks, but I don't want shitty looking wheels either. I will say I love the look of the fat fives, so if anyone has a set with good tires for $1k PM me! Other than that I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to get new wheels to avoid having to deal with any issues (like finding out they're cracked, curb rashed, etc).

I haven't seen any good wheel threads (I searched) so if I'm missing a good thread please link me. :)

Also, what is a good weight for a 17" wheel? I have absolutely nothing to go by.

What about these Sparco's: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W29036502B&wheelMake=Sparco&wheelModel=Assetto+Gara&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A4+1.8T+Quattro&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=Sport+Package&filterFinish=All&filterSize=17&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=W_16_19&sort=Brand

Pretty inexpensive and I think decently light? I'd rather have the matte graphite silver ones, but they're backordered for a month.

shinamura
05-11-2012, 02:18 PM
At 145 each wheel, not bad. I've seen those sparcos on an b5 s4 and they looked tight! My pops runs 17" drags and with the tire profile he has, it's a very smooth ride

howardfootball
05-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Those look nice. I would go with silver or graphite. What color is your car?

CamrideA4
05-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Those look nice. I would go with silver or graphite. What color is your car?

Silver. I'm not sure if I like black wheels on silver cars, but I hate to wait a month for them.... If I get a flat I'm at least partially screwed (though I do have AAA).

howardfootball
05-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Keep a full size spare. Doesn't have to be the same wheel, just same size.

CamrideA4
05-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Keep a full size spare. Doesn't have to be the same wheel, just same size.

I will. I've got one original wheel as a full size spare now (well, I'm running it because the one wheel is cracked). I'll be keeping one good wheel as a full size spare once I get the new set. I'm actually tempted at the price of those Sparco's to just get 5.

coolgraymemo
05-11-2012, 08:39 PM
I would just get a good set of used wheels. About a week or two ago, someone listed some 17" SSR Comps for $500 (!).

In my opinion, it is better to get a quality set of (used) wheels, than a new set of low quality wheels.

CamrideA4
05-12-2012, 04:50 AM
I would just get a good set of used wheels. About a week or two ago, someone listed some 17" SSR Comps for $500 (!).

In my opinion, it is better to get a quality set of (used) wheels, than a new set of low quality wheels.

Is there something wrong with those Sparco's?

Nateness
05-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Those wheels seem fine for near-exact size replacements. They'll probably be less tucked than the original wheels and they weigh a few pounds less. Not sure how I feel about all of the Sparco tags, but maybe it could look good.

coolgraymemo
05-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Is there something wrong with those Sparco's?

I have nothing negative to say about the wheels, but they are a newer brand (I think). I don't think there are many (if any) Audis running those wheels.

Have you looked into OZ SL's or UL's? They can often be had for around $600.

Nateness
05-12-2012, 06:58 PM
You may want to check out this website:

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Wheels-for-Audi_3

If you're on a budget, these are decent options to consider.

revolution337
05-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Rota grids. Are they overplayed? yes. Do they still look awesome? Yes.

coolgraymemo
05-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Rota grids. Are they overplayed? yes. Do they still look awesome? Yes.

I wouldn't say they are "overplayed" on B5's. They are awesome too. And cheap.

There's like less than five cars with them.

DeathKing
05-13-2012, 07:35 AM
I consider anything under 21lbs to be a decent weight for your standard sized 17". Those Sparcos are really cool I would've bought them if I saw them before!

trev718
05-13-2012, 07:41 AM
A lot of critics say bad things about Rota as a company but I have to say the rims do look pretty sexy

AudiNFS
05-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Anyone need tires? Please...

CamrideA4
05-14-2012, 08:48 AM
You may want to check out this website:

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Wheels-for-Audi_3

If you're on a budget, these are decent options to consider.

There are some nice looking wheels on there, but a lot of replicas I've seen have been 30lbs+. They don't list wheel weights on the site so that makes me think they're probably heavy.

thenj3
05-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Rotas are great wheel. i wish they made more wheels in our bolt pattern

DeathKing
05-14-2012, 09:52 AM
BBS RKs are 17x8 and I believe 18lbs but they only come up for sale so often.

CamrideA4
05-14-2012, 12:58 PM
I like the look of these better, but they're about 3lbs heavier per wheel. I have no idea if it's a step up or down from my current wheels (MKIV GTI knockoffs) but I'm guessing they're probably a little lighter.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W29043503AMF&wheelMake=Sparco&wheelModel=RTT524&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FAnthracite+Accent&showRear=no&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A4+1.8T+Quattro&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=Sport+Package&filterFinish=All&filterSize=17&filterBrand=Sparco&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

bOOOOstedAudi
05-14-2012, 02:03 PM
I sellin 3 18 inch vmr rs4 reps. buy the 4th ffrom anywhere for around 200 and get tires. that should but you right under 1k

CamrideA4
05-14-2012, 05:49 PM
I sellin 3 18 inch vmr rs4 reps. buy the 4th ffrom anywhere for around 200 and get tires. that should but you right under 1k

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not a fan of chrome wheels. Good luck with the sale though. :)

Nateness
05-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I like the look of these better, but they're about 3lbs heavier per wheel. I have no idea if it's a step up or down from my current wheels (MKIV GTI knockoffs) but I'm guessing they're probably a little lighter.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W29043503AMF&wheelMake=Sparco&wheelModel=RTT524&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FAnthracite+Accent&showRear=no&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A4+1.8T+Quattro&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=Sport+Package&filterFinish=All&filterSize=17&filterBrand=Sparco&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

Those look ok, but for the weight and the price, you could get a set of Sonic Tuning BBS LM reps for similar price/weight.

If you're willing to increase your budget by a couple hundred, you could grab a set of Enkei RPF1's in 17". Way lighter, superb quality, but convex face with 17x8 size...

CamrideA4
05-15-2012, 04:44 AM
Those look ok, but for the weight and the price, you could get a set of Sonic Tuning BBS LM reps for similar price/weight.

If you're willing to increase your budget by a couple hundred, you could grab a set of Enkei RPF1's in 17". Way lighter, superb quality, but convex face with 17x8 size...

The Sonic wheels are all 18" or 19" looking at their website. While it's not a bad price at $800 I can't get those and tires under $1k.

The Enkei's I don't like the look of very much.

Is there a good site besides tirerack.com to check out and buy wheels?

DeathKing
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Look up ESM Wheels, Miro Wheels, DiscountTireDirect and VWVortex 5x112 Classifieds.

Nateness
05-15-2012, 07:34 PM
There's also WheelDude's website too

CamrideA4
05-17-2012, 08:03 PM
I decided on these: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=1777722AMF&wheelMake=Focal&wheelModel=F10&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FAnthracite+Accent&showRear=no&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A4+1.8T+Quattro&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=Sport+Package&filterFinish=All&filterSize=17&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

Inexpensive, under 20lbs and I think they'll look pretty good. I'll put up pics once I get them on.

DeathKing
05-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I have nothing negative to say about the wheels, but they are a newer brand (I think). I don't think there are many (if any) Audis running those wheels.

Have you looked into OZ SL's or UL's? They can often be had for around $600.

Those Sparco wheels are engineered by OZ just for the record. I placed my order :)

CamrideA4
05-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I decided on these: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=1777722AMF&wheelMake=Focal&wheelModel=F10&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FAnthracite+Accent&showRear=no&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A4+1.8T+Quattro&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=Sport+Package&filterFinish=All&filterSize=17&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

Inexpensive, under 20lbs and I think they'll look pretty good. I'll put up pics once I get them on.

Just got them in, damn they feel light. I like the look of them, and the quality seems very good for the price. I'm getting the installed on Friday so I'll get pics up then.

DeathKing
05-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Just got them in, damn they feel light. I like the look of them, and the quality seems very good for the price. I'm getting the installed on Friday so I'll get pics up then.

I should have pictures Friday too. Did you go with 225/45-17 tires? Those would look nice and meaty on a 7inch. Only thing I'd recommend is buying spacers because the wheels will be tucked in a good amount.

CamrideA4
05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
I should have pictures Friday too. Did you go with 225/45-17 tires? Those would look nice and meaty on a 7inch. Only thing I'd recommend is buying spacers because the wheels will be tucked in a good amount.

Yeah, I've got the stock size tire for the sport package, so 225/45-17. The offset should be damn close, it says 40mm on the site, stock is 38mm. I hope I don't need spacers. Maybe I'll mount up a wheel tomorrow before I take it in and make sure it looks right, because once the tires are mounted I can't return the wheels.

$teady$upreme
05-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Depends on how you want your wheels to look like, et40 is a very conservative offset. If you want your wheels to be flushed with your fenders, then you definitely need spacers for them.

CamrideA4
05-25-2012, 09:47 AM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/camride/2001%20A4%20Turbo%20Swap/2012-05-25_12-14-08_603.jpg

I really like the look, and honestly the weight made more of a difference than I thought it would. The car just feels lighter and more responsive overall, and smoother as well (that may also be from a tire rotation though). I'm pretty happy, especially for the price.

DeathKing
05-30-2012, 06:08 PM
I really like the look, and honestly the weight made more of a difference than I thought it would. The car just feels lighter and more responsive overall, and smoother as well (that may also be from a tire rotation though). I'm pretty happy, especially for the price.

I like it! Just needs some tire shine but anyway you have a nice car.

Just had my Sparco wheels mounted, love them!
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4241/img2712q.jpg

CamrideA4
05-31-2012, 05:45 AM
I like it! Just needs some tire shine but anyway you have a nice car.

Just had my Sparco wheels mounted, love them!
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4241/img2712q.jpg

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to clean the wheels/tires to get the crap off them (I'm assuming some kind of lube to help get the tires on the wheels). I think they normally clean it off but they knew I was in a hurry to get to work.

Anyway, I think those Sparco's actually look really good as well! Now we both need to clean up our calipers. [>_<]