PDA

View Full Version : Build or Buy?

EuroA4
05-12-2005, 08:36 AM
I want to replace the sub I had stolen last year...I was thinking of a sealed single 12" box for an Image Dynamics sub...should I purchase the box...or consider building one on my own? Has anyone here built one?

Silver 1.8
05-12-2005, 08:45 AM
3/4 mdf, sealed up after you put it together. Get the specs of the sub you know the dimensions for the box. You'll probably save some money, and gain some confidence with building shit. I say go for it.

skene
05-12-2005, 09:29 AM
build.

Audimarc
05-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I agree. It isn't hard to put a wooden box together and then fibreglassing to whatever shape you want....

Saturnine
05-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Fiberglass a sub box!!

EVIL-AUDI
05-12-2005, 09:54 AM
^^ do it up. ^^

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/7PIC4.jpg

SeanF
05-12-2005, 10:23 AM
i built mine, theres pics in my some better pics thread...

i can give you the specs, but the way i did it, youd HAVE to invert the sub... the box only supports a speaker depth of 5.25"

and with it inverted its 1 cubic foot

brettuzzi
05-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Search google for WinISD - I highly recommend it. You'll be able to see an output graph for your sub, what kind of enclosure is recommended, square footage, etc.

Building a sub box without using WinISD is like ordering stuff off ebay without pictures and descriptions.

beejohn
05-12-2005, 10:31 AM
im putting a soundsplinter rl-p in mine.. shit is suppose to bump!!
paired up with an mtx 6500D amp, pushing 500WRMS@2ohm@12.5VDC

www.soundsplinter.com

designed for sound quality, without sacrificing loudness.

sq + spl = sql = soundsplinter

designed for sealed boxes, so it will be a space saver.

SeanF
05-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by brettuzzi
Search google for WinISD - I highly recommend it. You'll be able to see an output graph for your sub, what kind of enclosure is recommended, square footage, etc.

Building a sub box without using WinISD is like ordering stuff off ebay without pictures and descriptions.

its at www.linearteam.org

SeanF
05-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Silver 1.8
3/4 mdf, sealed up after you put it together. Get the specs of the sub you know the dimensions for the box. You'll probably save some money, and gain some confidence with building shit. I say go for it.

i got half a sheet of 3/4" MDF for 6 bucks.. (4'x4')
with wood glue and screws it came out to 12 bucks...

dont wait till you build it to seal it, cut it, put it together take it apart, and put wood glue where all the edges meet, then screw it back together...

once you do this, and it sets, i used glue along the seams then...

so my box was $12 + 8 for fleece + alot of sweat =
http://tinypic.com/51vi37

cant beat that for $20

SeanF
05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
and if you want it to stay the way it looks when you cut it, drill pilot holes for ALL the screws... otherwise the wood will split.

EuroA4
05-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks...the WinIMP program is great. 3/4 MDF is what I want to use, any specific types of sealer you suggest?? Also where can I get a sheet of the automotive fabric for covering it?

BranCKY3
05-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Liquid nails has always worked awesome for sealing / glueing for me. A fabric store should have the carpet.

SeanF
05-12-2005, 02:09 PM
i got fleece from walmart...

i got 2 yards of it... probably didnt need that much...

i used to use liquid nails for building boxes, but that shit is just too messy, so i use wood glue.. they are both equally strong, but wood glue u can close and reuse, and its cheaper liquid nail tubes go bad after the first use...

Allkaos
05-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Don't use liquid nails you can get air pockets and it will leak air. Just use yellow wood glue it's sticks to mdf a lot better anyways.

BranCKY3
05-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Normally I don't glue the wood together, that's what the screws are for. MAKE SURE YOU COUNTERSINK SCREWS. MDF splits super easy.

I found the easiest way to make a box is to cut everything, piece it together and fasten the wood together with a nail gun. Then when you have pieces together, start countersinking and putting screws in. Seal all the inside edges with liquid nails. Don't glob up on it. This method a lot easier when you don't have anyone to help you with holding the wood while you screw!