PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from the steering column

Halfbreed
05-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I know im a S4 guy but the parts in question carry over so i thought i would try you B5 A4 guys to see if you can help as well.

Driving into work this morning I noticed a thin wave of smoke and a burning electronics smell (I'm an electronics tech in the navy so the smell is all too familiar) coming from my steering column/cluster area. The wave got a little worse but never bellowed and stopped when I got to my destination. After some searching it sounds like my ignition switch is going if not gone. I will be tearing the column apart when I get home.

Has anyone had this happen or have some helping insight?

Thanks

walky_talky20
05-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Yep, my first guess is ignition switch. That would be the high current device in that area with a matching high failure rate. It was probably melting the plastic housing and/or wiring jackets.

howardfootball
05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Your kind isn't welcome in these parts, you better get steppin'... but on a more serious note, I don't think I have ever heard of anything like this happening. Post up what you find for future reference.

Halfbreed
05-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the responses. Not whiff of smoke on the way home from work. I swear this car loves messing with my head.

walky_talky20
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Did you have more stuff on this morning perhaps? Specifically, headlamps or fog lamps?

Halfbreed
05-07-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/484150-Smokin

Most of the damage seems to be cosmetic. My terminal 33 is shot for sure. Luckily i dont really use my cigarette lighter anyways.

Nevets57
05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
I had something similar to this happen in another vehicle of mine and it turned out to be the turn signal switch.

seanj130
05-07-2012, 07:41 PM
I had something similar to this happen in another vehicle of mine and it turned out to be the turn signal switch.

Turn signal switch is actually located in the hazards switch for future reference. I just saw your other thread, Fuse boards are cheap from a U-Pull junk yard but a PITA to change out :(

I hope everything goes well in rebuilding that!