PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get the window back up? (Regulator Issue)

coolgraymemo
05-06-2012, 07:31 PM
I think my window regulator shit the bed. It had been working fine, but I noticed my window roll up a little slow about a week ago. Today, it was unresponsive and would not let my window go back up. I searched and found that it is most likely my regulator (DIY (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/190395-DIY-B5-A4-S4-Window-Regulator-Fix)). When I click the button up, it makes a little "tick tick;" when I raise my passenger's side window (even though its already all the way up), I hear the same "tick tick." No other strange noises.

My question is -
Is there any way to get my window back up? I don't care if it does not roll down, as long as it is up. I don't have time this week to fix it and I don't want to drive my dad's B6 all week.

Thanks!

morzechowski
05-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure, but its really easy to pop the door card off and look in there to see if you can physically help the window back up.

There is 2 screws I think on the door card one under the plastic where the handle is then one up front by the dash vent, then it pops out.

jaychen
05-06-2012, 07:49 PM
This happened on my brothers window.

The regulator was fine, it was the little bits of plastic that are prone to breaking..

Just whip the door card off..

see if you can push the window up while pressing the button.. I never let my brothers go all the way down otherwise I would have been in the same predicament as you.

So cliffs..

Manually apply pressure against the glass and push in an upwards direction whilst pressing the window button to go up.

If indeed the plastic clips are broken.. I just took a soldering iron and plastic welded them back together.. I tried to re-break it again and I couldn't (obviously wasn't going fucking mental on the thing) .. I definitely was applying more force than the window could/would.

lol Mike beat me to it.. you got my long arse answer..

ianwpb
05-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I have my rear passenger side window zip tied up.

coolgraymemo
05-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I was under the impression that a bad regulator would produce some type of bad noise (at least it did on my dad's car).

I really don't want to remove the window frame.

morzechowski
05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int49.shtml BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

KMEL65STANG
05-06-2012, 08:18 PM
I have my rear passenger side window zip tied up.

X2

Zip ties work! Pop off plastic inner, pull window up n ziptie window bracket to inner window frame. Works perfect for temp!

jaychen
05-06-2012, 08:20 PM
I was under the impression that a bad regulator would produce some type of bad noise (at least it did on my dad's car).

I really don't want to remove the window frame.

Dude,

the door card is held on by 4 screws..

ianwpb
05-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Dude,

Lol, I only had 2.

Remove the screws, pop off the door panel and zip tie the window in place. There are a few different ways to do it. Be creative.

coolgraymemo
05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Dude,

I'm referring to the window regulator going bad. I am aware the door-card is held by four screws (I linked the DIY in OP).

jaychen
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
You are able to push the window back up without removing the frame..

ianwpb
05-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Replacing the regulator isn't hard, it's just a pain. You gotta drill out the rivets and crap. The frame is easy to remove though too. 4 T45's IIRC.

coolgraymemo
05-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm going to try to resolve this tomorrow.

Thanks.

audienthusiest
05-07-2012, 12:00 PM
ya just dont do what i did. I removed the door card disconnected everything found out that there was a tiny pully that exploded so i epoxied the pulley and reinstalled everything... the pulley exploded again but into even more pieces and the epoxy held.... sooooo the actual window track is f'd on mine. SOOOOO i wasted a ton of time with that nonsense.

Jordan80
05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
ya just dont do what i did. I removed the door card disconnected everything found out that there was a tiny pully that exploded so i epoxied the pulley and reinstalled everything... the pulley exploded again but into even more pieces and the epoxy held.... sooooo the actual window track is f'd on mine. SOOOOO i wasted a ton of time with that nonsense.

Same thing happened to me! Luckily I got the pulleys from a spare regulator and everything is good now

coolgraymemo
05-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Update:

The door panel removal takes all of ten minutes.

I have came to the conclusion that it is the window motor. I took it off the door and it lowered fine, but would not lift. In other words, the window motor would only go one way.

I zipped tied it for the time being; I'll be ordering a new motor today.

If my logic is flawed, please advice.

audienthusiest
05-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Same thing happened to me! Luckily I got the pulleys from a spare regulator and everything is good now ...jealous.. my window is still masking taped to the top......yaaaaa

ianwpb
05-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Update:

The door panel removal takes all of ten minutes.

I have came to the conclusion that it is the window motor. I took it off the door and it lowered fine, but would not lift. In other words, the window motor would only go one way.

I zipped tied it for the time being; I'll be ordering a new motor today.

If my logic is flawed, please advice.

I wouldn't say for sure it's just the motor yet.. Usually the motors don't break. It's the regulator. I think the regulator slips when it's trying to lift. When my regulators went they would go down just fine, but wouldn't go up.

audienthusiest
05-07-2012, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't say for sure it's just the motor yet.. Usually the motors don't break. It's the regulator. I think the regulator slips when it's trying to lift. When my regulators went they would go down just fine, but wouldn't go up. ya chances are if you hear the motor moving its probably just the regulator.....

coolgraymemo
05-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't say for sure it's just the motor yet.. Usually the motors don't break. It's the regulator. I think the regulator slips when it's trying to lift. When my regulators went they would go down just fine, but wouldn't go up.

The motor doesn't "wind" up when it's not hooked up to the regulator. In my opinion, (if the motor was good) it would move up even when it's not hooked up.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself correctly.

If the motor is not inserted into the regulator, I assume that it would work the same as if it were inside the door.
Well, I did just that: I took it off and the motor would not always want to "raise the window up" (with the motor out). I would have to click it a bunch of times to get it to move. However, it would always "lower the window."

Sorry if I'm rambling.

audienthusiest
05-07-2012, 07:12 PM
The motor doesn't "wind" up when it's not hooked up to the regulator. In my opinion, (if the motor was good) it would move up even when it's not hooked up.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself correctly.

If the motor is not inserted into the regulator, I assume that it would work the same as if it were inside the door.
Well, I did just that: I took it off and the motor would not always want to "raise the window up" (with the motor out). I would have to click it a bunch of times to get it to move. However, it would always "lower the window."

Sorry if I'm rambling.

ya let me clarify, what happened to me is pretty common... the broken part is normally a pulley that supports the top og the guide wire so the grinding sound (if you hear one) is the motor spinning the regulator which is winding up a cable that is attached to nothing.... In my case i took the door card off and found a tangle of wire.... its actually more of a PITA than if the motor had just gone out...

ianwpb
05-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Do you know anyone that you can swap motors with? or are the motors interchangeable front to back?

coolgraymemo
05-07-2012, 07:20 PM
No. I'm finding some cheap ones online.

I really, really hope it's just the motor. I should have tried manually turning the window up.

audinutt
05-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Bet it is the switch...

ianwpb
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Bet it is the switch...

That should be easy enough to check. Try it at the drivers door also, if it doesn't work there it's probably not the switch right? You could also swap switches.

coolgraymemo
05-15-2012, 05:54 PM
It ended up being the window motor.

I had plans of making a DIY guide, but I think the entire process is too straightforward. Took me a total of twenty minutes (five to ten of those were fidgeting on putting the panel back on).