PDA

View Full Version : Cat 3658 information anyone??

morzechowski
05-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I have a set of the adjustable 3658's, and I am having the local machine shop that I use install them along with my entire valvetrain and a p&p job.

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-18t-camshaft-set-18t-cat-billet-3658-p-20105.html

Even though I am having a professional install them, I am still interested in learning how these things work. I cant seem to find much info on them, searched the Cat website and searched the forums.

From what I'v noticed there are no timing marks, and you can rotate the sprockets before locking them down into position. What is the process in adjusting this, how and where would they make the most power?

If there is a video or an article someone knows of, please shoot it may way. I need to geek it up on this a bit since I feel like a dummy that I own them and don't know how to work them.

Its one week before race wars. gotta figure this shit out [>_<]

http://www.notnever.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Insane-Clown-Posse-fuckin-magnets-how-do-they-work.jpg

AudiA4_20T
05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
BobQ used to do all of this stuff but he's been out of the game for awhile. Might want to dig through the 1.8T forum on Vortex

M-Hood
05-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Could try finding BobQ's old info when he dyno tested all of the CAT cam setups, pretty sure he put the info on what deg he set the cams at for each run.

Sales@RAI
05-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Didn't they come with a cam card? Mine did. It tells you how to degree them. Unfortunately mine is in PA, otherwise I'd scan and send it to you.

The 3658s are an awesome cam set. You'll be happy with them.

morzechowski
05-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Didn't they come with a cam card? Mine did. It tells you how to degree them. Unfortunately mine is in PA, otherwise I'd scan and send it to you.

The 3658s are an awesome cam set. You'll be happy with them.

Nope, just the box and the cams wrapped up in bubble wrap.

M-Hood
05-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Nope, just the box and the cams wrapped up in bubble wrap.

Might want to call up 034 and see if they could email you a copy of the card.

A4Rob
05-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Why do all Cat Cams come unmarked? I don't get it, if you can machine cams, why not add a single dot on the sprocket to line up with the OEM cam caps?

Crispy222
05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Mike, post the answer when you find this. I have a 3858 billet intake cam I'd like to run, but not sure if it is degree'd correctly.

morzechowski
05-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Does anyone know the torque specs for the gear bolts?

034Motorsport
05-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know the torque specs for the gear bolts?

Do you still need help Mike? Happy to share what we degree'ed our cams to, but CAT is notorious for not providing timing marks. There is good reason for it, as it basically absolves them from any responsibility from timing mistakes. That and it takes a LOT of testing to get good base timing marks for consistent spread of engines.

However, you can always consider selling the 3658 and getting the new CAT cams which are factory degree'ed via Bobq's testing and working directly with CAT. They are drop-in style cams for the 1.8T, the timing marks have solid great gains but remain safe.

Whenever we do CAT installations, its just a time intensive job by the machinist to measure valve clearance. You can always run extra deep reliefs to give yourself a bit more room.

Crispy222
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Do you still need help Mike? Happy to share what we degree'ed our cams to, but CAT is notorious for not providing timing marks. There is good reason for it, as it basically absolves them from any responsibility from timing mistakes. That and it takes a LOT of testing to get good base timing marks for consistent spread of engines.

However, you can always consider selling the 3658 and getting the new CAT cams which are factory degree'ed via Bobq's testing and working directly with CAT. They are drop-in style cams for the 1.8T, the timing marks have solid great gains but remain safe.

Whenever we do CAT installations, its just a time intensive job by the machinist to measure valve clearance. You can always run extra deep reliefs to give yourself a bit more room.

I need new bolts and torque specs for one cam gear.

morzechowski
05-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Max, it would be awesome if you would share your degree info. Also the torque specs for the gear bolts.

Would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

morzechowski
05-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Bump! just dropped everything off at the machine shop. Still need the torque specs on the cam gears.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/525141_3708343063248_1115708786_33487822_466055105 _n.jpg

Shout out to Mike Hood @ Ringer Racing. Thanks for the valvetrain!

morzechowski
05-25-2012, 03:37 AM
Torque for cam sprockets is 8nm.

AudiA4_20T
05-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Torque for cam sprockets is 8nm.

That sounds way too low, even the cam caps are 10nm

morzechowski
05-25-2012, 06:21 PM
The bolts on the cam caps are larger than the sprocket bolts.

Sadly, the only way I could get a hold of anyone from catcams was through their facebook page lol...

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad10/da1nonlymikeo/Capture-4.jpg

Also, use red loctite.

1NaudiA4
05-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Use red lock tight when you tighten up those cam sprocket bolts. Those little suckers like to come loose.

Sales@RAI
05-26-2012, 08:03 AM
I would even recommend to tac weld the gears in place after getting them in time and torquing them down with red loctite.

morzechowski
05-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I would even recommend to tac weld the gears in place after getting them in time and torquing them down with red loctite.

I would assume that would throw some balance off don't you think?

Sales@RAI
05-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I would assume that would throw some balance off don't you think?

all the CAT cams that Al@pagparts sends out are already timed with the gears tac welded into place. Here we have also tac welded all the CAT cams that we have installed on cars. No issues.

My 58s are welded.

morzechowski
05-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Do you have any photos of them tac welded?

Sales@RAI
05-26-2012, 12:00 PM
I think I do on my iPhone, I'll have to check though.

pape
05-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Here is the article for the cat cams install for future reference.

http://sites.google.com/site/catcamsinstallation/