PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tie Rod

DRock3d
05-04-2012, 02:13 PM
How big of a bitch is it to do rear tie rods? I can't find any diys or anything for them, just retards making 4 wheel steering jokes. I fubared the ball joint when I took the upright out and now I have a nice noise and wobble.

redline380
05-04-2012, 07:02 PM
How big of a bitch is it to do rear tie rods? I can't find any diys or anything for them, just retards making 4 wheel steering jokes. I fubared the ball joint when I took the upright out and now I have a nice noise and wobble.

the reason they are making 4 wheel steer jokes is because there is no tie rods in the back. they are used for steering. youll have to be more specific/get your terminology correct. maybe take a picture of what you want to replace. im really resisting making any jokes myself...

CBlockb5a4
05-04-2012, 07:24 PM

to answer your question, most of the time the the toe adjusting eccentric bolt usually freezes in the bushing. you'll have to cut it out and replace the bolt. other than that, should be fairly straight forward.

walky_talky20
05-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Seeing as there are no ball joints in the rear suspension, I'm thinking he is referring to the only tie rods on his car: the front ones. It so happens that they are located on the "rear" side of the front wheels. Perhaps that is where the confusion lies. There are so many ball joints in the front end (other than the tie rod), that he is specifying "rear", because it is the rearmost ball joint on the vehicle.

Anyway, that's my guess.

They are not terribly hard to do, if you are replacing the entire assembly (inner and outer together). Sometimes the outer and inner can be difficult to separate. Other than that, not too bad.

CBlockb5a4
05-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Seeing as there are no ball joints in the rear suspension, I'm thinking he is referring to the only tie rods on his car: the front ones. It so happens that they are located on the "rear" side of the front wheels. Perhaps that is where the confusion lies. There are so many ball joints in the front end (other than the tie rod), that he is specifying "rear", because it is the rearmost ball joint on the vehicle.

Anyway, that's my guess.

They are not terribly hard to do, if you are replacing the entire assembly (inner and outer together). Sometimes the outer and inner can be difficult to separate. Other than that, not too bad.
on the quattro, there is one ball joint type of connection. there is a "locating arm" that connects the subframe to the rear wheel hub. its only job is to keep things straight and allow toe adjustment.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Suspension/Control_Arms/Rear/ES259977/

DRock3d
05-05-2012, 09:44 AM
on the quattro, there is one ball joint type of connection. there is a "locating arm" that connects the subframe to the rear wheel hub. its only job is to keep things straight and allow toe adjustment.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Suspension/Control_Arms/Rear/ES259977/

Yes! These. Nobody seems to know about these. See how it's called a rear tie rod? So go ahead and make 4 wheel steering jokes at least I don't look dumb.

urban96
05-05-2012, 12:05 PM
to answer your question, most of the time the the toe adjusting eccentric bolt usually freezes in the bushing. you'll have to cut it out and replace the bolt. other than that, should be fairly straight forward.

+1 I would order a new bolt/washer at the same time