PDA

View Full Version : 2.7 and 2.8 Valve Cover Gasket PROBLEM!

prizmatik
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM
In the past I have had issues installing the valve cover gasket on the 2.7 and 2.8 engines. No matter what, oil leaks. It appears to be coming from the valley portion. I have tried numerous times, with no success. I have made sure that all old silicone is removed, and I apply silicone in the appropriate spots when installing, and allow to dry for many many hours. What am I doing wrong???[facepalm]

awdjunkies
05-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Did you install not only the VCGs, but the other seals involved as well? sometimes if you ONLY take care of one section of the engine's problematic leaks? you're basically only masking one section, thus exposing the other.

prizmatik
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
I only replaced the VCG's, not the others, but I noticed how the leak got worse. As if I'm just not installing the gasket properly, but it's not ROCKET SCIENCE. I cant believe it gives me so much trouble.

Lornnn
05-04-2012, 11:39 AM
perhaps you're tightening the valve covers down too much?
the torque specs on it are nearly hand tight iirc

redmond1501
05-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Are you replacing the half moon seals and cam chain adjuster gaskets, in addition to the valve cover gaskets? Those and the cam seals/caps at the back of each bank closest to the firewall tend to leak like a mofo. Plus, if you don't replace the breather hose and purge valve (if they're clogged), then you will get excess pressure in the heads eventually causing blow-by through any new seals.

prizmatik
05-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Good point, but I definitely feel that I am tightening them just right.
It almost seems like the gasket doesnt seem to seat into the valley location near the cam chaing tensioner area.
But I am very very careful to make sure it does seat perfectly.