PDA

View Full Version : Does front brake caliper bracket carry shims?

B5RiceEater
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
So I have read a few post about brake pad slap ( clunking noise while braking) and some1 came up with a good assumption saying that there should be shims and he took a pic but unfortunately it was the rear brakes (ughhh) so I,ve research for a front brake hardware kit/ shims and couldn't find anything...I'm the 3rd owner of my b5 and after replacing my brakes 2 days ago I didn't see any clips and thought that was strange but I figured that well the I took off didnt make any noise so this should be fine...I triple checked everything today and can't figure out I put autozone pads on I must admit lol and my retaining clip I hammered down because it fit in loose... I checked the play with the pads with a screw driver I suppose there was a lil bit of play...what would be your suggestions on this??? I'm thinking buy oem pads, new retaining clip and new guide bolts and am curious about this shim thing if it exist

B5RiceEater
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Grr 41 views and no comments!!!

S4NIK8
05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
The pad has play in what direction?

B5RiceEater
05-03-2012, 03:50 PM
The tips where the pads slide into the caliper bracket

geeky
05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
The only "shim" on the front calipers is the clip you can see at the :03 mark in the video. Is it a clunking noise when the brakes aren't applied or when the brakes are applied?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAoGJJkyszg

theres a number of things that can "clunk" on the b5 front suspension:
- top hat mounts
- control arms (yeah theres 8 pieces or 4 per a side for that, good luck)
- anti-rattling caliper clip
- caliper carrier bushings

gangfer
05-03-2012, 04:34 PM
i think im having same problem with you. but i figured mine out. my left lower control arm ball joint is loose and upper straigt arm joint is also loose. so every time, i apply my brakes on hills and release, then move forward and apply the brakes again. it knocks and it feels like its my front pads are loose. i ordered new control arm kit from ECS just waiting. yes it can drive you crazy. but i would check all your control arms.

S4NIK8
05-03-2012, 06:42 PM
The tips where the pads slide into the caliper bracket

If the clip for the caliper is bent weird or worn out it will let the pad rock against the carrier and make noise. Try replacing the clip http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Braking/Calipers/ES1596872/

Pist'n broke
05-04-2012, 06:03 AM
ive got the f'n rattle in my rear ds. will be dismantling on days off...

B5RiceEater
05-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Grrr im gonna buy a retaining clip on monday and change my radiator i'll tell u guys how it goes i feel like i hear the noise more when the brakes heat up

B5RiceEater
05-04-2012, 07:48 AM
My suspension is good nothing moves i mean i could use a control arm kit but its not that making the noise it happened right after i changed my brakes n rotors

B5RiceEater
05-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Nobody answered my question though does b5 carry front brake shims??

geeky
05-04-2012, 11:07 AM
read my post again,

B5RiceEater
05-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Thnx geeky i guess there isnt any shims