PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic service

SN95Audi87
05-01-2012, 09:38 PM
The car is reaching a 130k. I always had in mine to service the Tiptronic trans, but I heard that it could be a bad move because fresh fluid can cause it to slip? Anyone done the service on their tiptronic and had this happen to them? I really don't know the history of the tip on this car, but I do have certified Audi badge on my driver side door if that means anything.

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
It only makes it worse if the trans is already slipping a little. If you just drain the fluid, put a new filter in with new fluid it should be fine.

Jason

walky_talky20
05-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I changed the fluid on mine (just a drain and refill with Pentosin ATF1) at 135k when I bought it. I'm fairly certain that was the first fluid change it ever got, it came out very, very dark. I never had any troubles with the trans after doing that. It held an APR 93 chip just fine. Always shifted just like it should.

My theory is that if you change the fluid (drain and refill) and it starts slipping, then it was going to fail soon anyway. You are only changing about 4 quarts which is less than half the fluid capacity anyway. It isn't like you are swapping ALL brand new fluid in there.

SN95Audi87
05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
It only makes it worse if the trans is already slipping a little. If you just drain the fluid, put a new filter in with new fluid it should be fine.

Jason

The trans doesn't slip at all to my knowledge. Shifts normal, doesn't buck or anything. When you put it in Tip mode each gear shifts on point.

I changed the fluid on mine (just a drain and refill with Pentosin ATF1) at 135k when I bought it. I'm fairly certain that was the first fluid change it ever got, it came out very, very dark. I never had any troubles with the trans after doing that. It held an APR 93 chip just fine. Always shifted just like it should.

My theory is that if you change the fluid (drain and refill) and it starts slipping, then it was going to fail soon anyway. You are only changing about 4 quarts which is less than half the fluid capacity anyway. It isn't like you are swapping ALL brand new fluid in there.

For a piece of mind I'm gonna just change the fluid with a new filter, gasket etc. I want it for a piece of mind because I'm keeping the car a long time. Thanks for the feedback!

CamrideA4
05-03-2012, 04:35 AM
162k miles on the stock fluid here.... [:o]

I've changed trans fluid on high mileage cars that weren't slipping and had them die shortly after, so I'm nervous about doing mine. I figure at this point I'll just leave it alone until it blows up. [>_<]

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-03-2012, 06:43 AM
The trans doesn't slip at all to my knowledge. Shifts normal, doesn't buck or anything. When you put it in Tip mode each gear shifts on point.

For a piece of mind I'm gonna just change the fluid with a new filter, gasket etc. I want it for a piece of mind because I'm keeping the car a long time. Thanks for the feedback!

We have transmission service kits available below!

Click HERE to order or for more information. (www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Drivetrain/Transmission/ES261797/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/76944_x600.jpg (www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Drivetrain/Transmission/ES261797/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)

Jason

walky_talky20
05-03-2012, 07:11 AM
I figure at this point I'll just leave it alone until it blows up....then 5-speed swap it [>_<]

Fixed that for you.