PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a silencer? What is it...

joeya103
05-11-2005, 06:03 AM
I've heard of people using a silencer or some kind of sound plate to dampen exhaust volume on long trips. I love my exhaust, but for 3+ hour drives, would be nice to just have peace and quiet (or at least so I can fully enjoy my music).

Where can I buy one of these? And is it an easy install, on and off each time? DIY?

Thanks in advance.

jrodmk2
05-11-2005, 07:10 AM
what exhaust do you have that it is that loud? i guess it is just what is loud to you.

skene
05-11-2005, 07:20 AM
well if you want to quiet down your exhaust you can always install one of these...

[urlhttp://www.dansperformanceparts.com/buggy/exh/exhaust%20acc.htm[/url]

Those are baffles that race cars use to quiet down their free flowing exhausts at tracks that have a db limit.

But a Silencer is another name for a muffler.

bitterchild
05-11-2005, 09:55 AM
he's referring to the silencer option in many of the straight through, motorcycle style japanese aftermarket exhausts. It's basically a non perforated stinger baffle that secures via a bolt through the exhaust tip.

joeya103- what exhaust do you have?

EVIL-AUDI
05-11-2005, 10:21 AM
He doesn't need it.

joeya103
05-11-2005, 10:46 AM
i don't want it permanently quieter...i love it for local driving.

i was just wondering if there was such a thing as an add-on for long trips or something. it seems i was confused about what it was though, don't sweat it guys. thanks for the help though.

and it seems evil knows what i need ;)

EVIL-AUDI
05-11-2005, 11:33 AM
The types of exhausts that have them are most likely not the kind that would be on your car.